Recommendations for DEL-MNL

Old Mar 26, 13, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
Recommendations for DEL-MNL

I am trying to book DEL-MNL one way. I was trying to keep it Skyteam, if at all possible. China Southern (earns MQM and RDM), Jet Airways (RDM only) and Malaysia Air (RDM only) are Skyteam members. So checking their websites, I can find the following flights for DEL-MNL:

On CZ: DEL-CAN-MNL
On 9W: DEL-SIN (9W), SIN-MNL (PR) or DEL-HKG (9W), HKG-MNL (PR or CX)
On MH: DEL-KUL-MNL

So what would you recommend for this trip? Preference is maximize MQM and RDM but not at the expense of poor product. If they are all poor products, what would you recommend instead?

Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 13, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
I would choose based on MQM earnings. Now, make sure that the CZ fare that you're going to purchase actually earns MQMs. You didn't specify Business or Economy. Business you'll be safe, but most lower priced CZ economy fares earn zero and the other cheaper ones earn 40%. Same if you choose 9W or MH, make sure you're actually getting an RDM earning fare class.

As for product, on these regional routes, not a huge difference if you're talking about economy.
Old Mar 29, 13, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
I would choose based on MQM earnings. Now, make sure that the CZ fare that you're going to purchase actually earns MQMs. You didn't specify Business or Economy. Business you'll be safe, but most lower priced CZ economy fares earn zero and the other cheaper ones earn 40%. Same if you choose 9W or MH, make sure you're actually getting an RDM earning fare class.

As for product, on these regional routes, not a huge difference if you're talking about economy.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this will be in Y, so I guess I have to just based it on fare. How about ease of connections as CZ connects thru CAN while 9W goes thru SIN or HKG and of course MH goes thru KUL?
Old Mar 29, 13, 11:51 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
First I would choose based on total travel time, & price.

If that doesn't give you a decision, I would CZ if I have Skyteam Elite Plus. Lounges make transit better. If I need EQM to get Elite Plus in the near future, and am likely to fly on Skyteam carriers in the future, I would go for CZ.

If EQM are not important, I would go with MH. Assuming you are on the B772 operated flight, has got the best hard product among all choices. 34" pitch & PTV. The second sector on MH B738 might have PTV and the pitch isn't too good, but bearable. 9W also gets you PTVs, but I think their service is poorer than MH. CX will have PTV, but it will be likely to be the old regional planes, in which case you are better off reading a book. PR has no PTVs on flights from SIN/HKG.
Old Mar 29, 13, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfs24 View Post
First I would choose based on total travel time, & price.

If that doesn't give you a decision, I would CZ if I have Skyteam Elite Plus. Lounges make transit better. If I need EQM to get Elite Plus in the near future, and am likely to fly on Skyteam carriers in the future, I would go for CZ.

If EQM are not important, I would go with MH. Assuming you are on the B772 operated flight, has got the best hard product among all choices. 34" pitch & PTV. The second sector on MH B738 might have PTV and the pitch isn't too good, but bearable. 9W also gets you PTVs, but I think their service is poorer than MH. CX will have PTV, but it will be likely to be the old regional planes, in which case you are better off reading a book. PR has no PTVs on flights from SIN/HKG.
Yes, I have ST Elite plus. So the MQM and RDM will be an advantage with CZ. But the MH hard product seems inviting vs. CZ. I just found out that 9W does not give RDM with DL anymore, so that rules them out.
Thanks for the recommendations.
Old Mar 29, 13, 5:41 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
I'd go with CZ on this one - more direct routing and the CZ lounge is quite nice in CAN. It looks like it's either an A330 (decent product) or 757 on the DEL-CAN segment. A330 is typical longhaul configuration with IFE seatback and so on, the 757 will be more like a shorthaul configuration.

Search this Thread