CA Carryon Allowance in J

Old Mar 21, 13, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
CA Carryon Allowance in J

I'll be flying jfk-pek in J in what will be my first trip on CA. Looking at the US website, CA specifically says that J pax can take 2 carryons, y pax can take 1.

Does that two big limit include a personal item like you are allowed on a US carrier? Or is the personal item not included in the two bag limit? I ask as I'm hoping to bring a 22" rollaboard, small duffel and a laptop bag thereby avoiding checking any luggage.

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 13, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
It's a call by the ground crew/gate agent, depending on load factor - among oher things ... At there's a 5 kg. weight limit but it's seldom/never strictly enforced coming out of JFK, AFAIW.

Flying the old "Queen" (thru end of month) or the new tri-7's starting up next month, but generally speaking - there's plenty of onboard storage, especially if you are on upper deck - not sure of the new cabin & whether FA will give you a hard time on J, most likely not.

Consider taking the 22" roller plus a 2nd. softside with enough space for the laptop bag inside. ?

Seen plenty of "small" personal bag that really pushed the imagination and boundaries. Having said that, was at T1 last week meeting an incoming (#981) and there's definitely mucho advantage to doing carryons - wait time @ CBP wasn't bad but the wait for checked luggage is plain horrible after 14+ hours.
Old Mar 23, 13, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
Thanks for the info Letitride3c...very helpful. I'll be on the upper deck going out and the 773 going back.

Consider taking the 22" roller plus a 2nd. softside with enough space for the laptop bag inside. ?
Like this option a lot...good call and I think this'll be my plan.
Old Mar 23, 13, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Cool - noticed that your home airport is DCA, you might want to stop at the counter for J luggage tags before going thru TSA if you aren't flying directly from JFK's T1. You CAN have 2 carryons plus a "small" bag like a briefcase, computer bag or tote, etc.

But, it's just easier to go with 2 - unpack the small one onboard if you plan to use the laptop or watch your own DVD, etc. en route. IFE is okay but nothing like CX & cater mostly to its ethnic pax.

Nephew & niece, etc. just flew the route this month and loved it upstairs, if you need extra, extra leg rooms even with the lie-flat, see the counter to request 83A or 83K (reserved & released by gate agent only) over the window exits (and some complained of draft/cold - asked for extra blankets ...) And, folks are going to like the fresh smelling 777's - it already did a VIP run and saw some of the real-time photos taken, going to be nice ! Enjoy the product

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64025118/CA...rch%202013.jpg

Search this Thread