Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doesn't Air China censor the inflight movies?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Doesn't Air China censor the inflight movies?

I was flying PEK - SHA on their new Airbus A330 with AVOD in all classes. Pretty nice touch screen system, however the controls are fixed on the side of the armrest so very hard to use without twisting or poking your seatmate.

Limited choice ofcourse compared to SQ or CX, but nevertheless great for a short flight.

I was watchhing the movie about the bike-couriers in NYC and the plot was about a Chinese Lady getting money to a sneak-head to free her son out of China. The reason that she had to do it via this way that she wrote an article about Tibet and it went online, so she couldn't do it via the official route .....

Hmmmmmm .....I thought either the government loosened up on this matter or the censorship department was still asleep
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Irony - Facebook the movie on IFE

On the way back from SHA to PEK I noticed another "funny" censorship failure or is it just to tease the locals?!?! One of the movies on the IFE was Facebook .....which is as you know blocked on internet in China. So they do allow people to see the movie but not use it
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sl00001
On the way back from SHA to PEK I noticed another "funny" censorship failure or is it just to tease the locals?!?! One of the movies on the IFE was Facebook .....which is as you know blocked on internet in China. So they do allow people to see the movie but not use it
While I haven't used FB in ~6 years, it is very popular in China.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
What is your definition of "popular" ? I suspect it is popular with people who know how to use a VPN, and who have a strong curiosity of what the GFOC is blocking. Which in my experience is a very small % of the population.

I have yet to meet someone who even knows who Ai Wei Wei is, or knows what really happened in 1989.

I have rarely met a Chinese who actually uses FB --- maybe it's just the people I come into contact with in daily life?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mcjava
What is your definition of "popular" ? I suspect it is popular with people who know how to use a VPN, and who have a strong curiosity of what the GFOC is blocking. Which in my experience is a very small % of the population.

I have yet to meet someone who even knows who Ai Wei Wei is, or knows what really happened in 1989.

I have rarely met a Chinese who actually uses FB --- maybe it's just the people I come into contact with in daily life?
>100 million people... 15% of FB's customer base.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
>100 million people... 15% of FB's customer base.
Interesting stats - the fact that people use VPN at home or via their work does make a difference I guess, but my point was more related to the officials or the official way to get to it.

Anyway - this country never stops amazes me in what they can or can't do ...or forget to do (sometimes)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: SQ
Every (young) Chinese knows what Facebook is.

Ask them and they will say, oh xiaonei/renren is better.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:14 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
interesting observation! I thought they would have censored it, too.
Was the metal intended for international flights? or was it just the content was managed by third-party offshore company so less sensitive? lol

My Chinese friends all have both facebook and renren, but it's true they seem to be more active on renren. crowd effect and the contents are there definitely tailored more into their tastes but i digress.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tya
interesting observation! I thought they would have censored it, too.
Was the metal intended for international flights? or was it just the content was managed by third-party offshore company so less sensitive? lol

My Chinese friends all have both facebook and renren, but it's true they seem to be more active on renren. crowd effect and the contents are there definitely tailored more into their tastes but i digress.
I think some of the flights are international and they make a stopover in Shanghai and continue to Beijing under the same flight number. Even then it is fascinating that this passed through the eyes

Have you guys checked out wechat - check also the China forum - that is the most integrated social networking app!!!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sl00001
I think some of the flights are international and they make a stopover in Shanghai and continue to Beijing under the same flight number. Even then it is fascinating that this passed through the eyes

Have you guys checked out wechat - check also the China forum - that is the most integrated social networking app!!!
many HKGers and myself are convinced that all these apps from PRC is tracked...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.