Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for advice booking domestic Indonesian flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United
Looking for advice booking domestic Indonesian flights

In November I will be traveling across parts of Indonesia. Our outbound and return long-haul flights are set, our initial destination Sorong (jumping off point for scuba diving). It's a couple of domestic legs that eventually bring us back to Jakarta (by way of Yogjakarta) that I'm now working on.

Leg #1: Sorong (SOQ) to Yogjakarta (JOG) -
As best I can tell, my options here are Merpati or Lion Air. Anybody else?
Merpati is less expensive and with just 1 connection, so that looks to be the reasonable choice (rather than Lion Air, which is more expensive and has 2 connections including one less than an hour, which seems very risky). Problem is, Merpati's web site says you can only buy tickets online using an Indonesian credit card. Any suggestions? I really don't want to just show up and buy the ticket, since we don't have extra days to spare waiting for the next day's flight if we miss one.

Leg #2: Yogjakarta (JOG) to Jakarta (CGK) -
Looks like we could go with Garuda (many flights to choose from) or Air Asia (2 flights per day, only one of which would get us to CGK in time). Again, it looks like Garuda also will only accept an Indonesian credit card. Air Asia is crazy cheap (US$20, before the extras), and has a convenient flight time - assuming they're more or less on time - but it's critical that we not be more than 3 hours late in arriving in Jakarta, since we need to connect to our long trans-pac flight home (on SQ, paid for using FF miles, so if we miss that flight, we're totally hosed). Air Asia's cheap flight is tempting, but I'm thinking that we're safer with Garuda (since Garuda has flights approximately every 2 hours - I figure even if a flight is late, we'll get to Jakarta within 4 hours of our scheduled arrival).

Any suggestions on how to actually BUY tickets for these flights in advance of arrival in Indonesia? Other airlines I don't know about? Better options?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: various
Most Indonesian domestic airlines aren't set up for foreign visitors to buy tickets directly online with foreign credit cards. If you have no ability to buy online, you can try phone call to (a) main service center in Indonesia or (b) service center in Singapore or Malaysia, IF available for your selected airline. Understand you may get no satisfaction this way, either.

Particularly for Sorong which has limited flights in/out, I can see where on a time-limited itinerary, you would want a confirmed seat in advance. How are you entering Indonesia in the first place? Will you have a layover at an airport like CGK, on your way to SOQ, where you could run outside security to the airline ticket office and buy your tickets? Any airport office should be able to sell. So much of Indonesia flying is done walk-up, that you should be able to get seats on a flight 3-4 days in advance. If you can do this, take hard cash with you, change into Rupiah at the airport, and pay for the tickets in cash. Flightstats.com shows Wings Air as also flying to Sorong, but your choices are pretty limited. I'd try to avoid Lion Air, so Merpati might be best of a sketchy lot. Theoretically, it would be best to put the connection point at the biggest airport you can (i.e. Makassar over Ambon).

For the Yogya-Jakarta leg, you are playing with fire by doing the domestic and trying to connect to the international flight to get back to your SQ award return all on the same day. Schedules in Indonesia just have a way of going kablooey, and even what sounds like a generous 4 hours can shrink real fast. Garuda would absolutely be the choice if you must do this on the same day (cost be damned). Air Asia Indonesia has a lousy record of delays and cancellations, so don't try this unless you are going the day before. Seriously, when connecting to a do-or-die-must-make-it international flight out, you should go the day before and spend the night in Jakarta. A bad spate of weather on flight day could ground or delay everybody, then you could be screwed. Check if Mandala flies this route, they have lifted their game in last couple of years and might be a reasonable alternative. One other alternative you could consider is the Yogya-Jakarta train--seriously. I think the fastest are the "Argos"--about 8 hours--and I thought there was a daytime and a nighttime train. Even the best class (eksecutif) is pretty cheap and reasonably comfortable. If you weren't otherwise wanting to stay overnight in Jakarta, you could do the overnight train, dump stuff temporarily at Left Luggage (no valuables though) and have a few hours to look around before heading to the airport. Train tickets can be bought easily at Tugu station in Yogya when you arrive there, or a travel agent or hotel can procure for you for a surcharge, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Last edited by jiejie; Aug 29, 2010 at 1:25 am
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I have purchased domestic tickets from http://www.travelindo.com. I will not completely unconditionally recommend them because dealing with them in the past has involved e-mailing scans of my passport and credit card which is a little sketchy but nothing bad has ever come of it and based on a few ticket purchases they have always been honest with me anyway. They are the only Indonesian travel agent I ever got to respond to e-mail so by virtue of that attribute they got my business.

Previously the on-line flight search on their web site has never been fully functional nor the on-line contact form so you may be better off just e-mailing them instead of relying on the web site.

My previous purchases resulted in a scanned voucher which I printed and exchanged on arrival for a hand written paper ticket at the airlines airport ticket counter. It's been a couple of years though so who knows, maybe they even have fancy new fangled e-tickets these days.

edited to add...... looking at their web site it says they take PayPal now. If true, thats great. My dealings with them predates this development although it still always worked out well for me.

Last edited by Mabuk dan gila; Aug 29, 2010 at 2:49 am
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, both jiejie and Mabuk dan gila.

Some further details...

How are you entering Indonesia in the first place? Will you have a layover at an airport like CGK, on your way to SOQ, where you could run outside security to the airline ticket office and buy your tickets?
Our inbound flight (on SQ from SIN) arrives in CGK on a Thursday around 6 pm, plus whatever time it takes us to get through immigration. We spend the night in Jakarta, then have a very early flight the next morning for Sorong (flight scheduled to leave at 5:00 am). So while we will have a few hours in Jakarta, we may be there after the close of most businesses.

The flight to Sorong is being arranged by our resort (they will meet us upon arrival in Sorong and we get on a boat, so they recommend a specific flight that they arrange). I suspect we can probably have them make arrangemenst for the flight out of Sorong, too (in this case to Yogjakarta) - given the complexities of booking tickets from here, I guess I am convinced that makes sense.

For the Yogya-Jakarta leg, you are playing with fire by doing the domestic and trying to connect to the international flight to get back to your SQ award return all on the same day. Schedules in Indonesia just have a way of going kablooey, and even what sounds like a generous 4 hours can shrink real fast.
I'm aware that with domestic Indonesian air travel, the actual experience often differs from the neat plans and schedules.

That said, regarding the last domestic leg, from Yogjakarta to Jakarta, yes, it's on the same day as our must-make-it international departure, but the critical outbound international flight doesn't leave CGK until 19:05. It looks like there are Garuda departures from JOG to CGK every 1h 40 min throughout the day, starting at 7 am. So I figure if we have a ticket on a Garuda flight that is scheduled to leave JOG before noon, we should probably be OK, even if there's a lengthy delay. For example, Garuda 207 is scheduled to depart JOG 11:00 am and to arrive at CGK at 12:05 pm. Even if the flight from JOG is 4 or even 5 hours late, I figure we should be OK. Also, I assume this route is a "milk run" for Garuda (American expression meaning a very routine, regular, easy trip that everyone knows and is familiar with). That doesn't mean something can't or won't go wrong, but I am guessing that things rarely go so very wrong that things would completely fall apart - not like a flight to a small, remote destination, where if something goes wrong, it can set off a chain of problems. I also figure that morning flights are least likely to be delayed, and the chances for lengthy delays increases as you get deeper in to the day.

Garuda has flights departing from JOG to CGK at 6:00, 7:40, 9:10, 11:00, 12:40, 14:25 (and more). The flight time is just 1h 5 min. We need to be in CGK by 17:00 (international flight leaves at 19:05). I'm guessing that if we get on the Garuda 9:10 am or 11:00 am flight we should be fine, even if things start to go sideways a bit.

Opinions?

Thanks again!

PS: I will check out travelindo.com, thanks for the pointer. I might "test" them by making a hotel reservation through them first to see just how sketchy or not they seem.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Our inbound flight (on SQ from SIN) arrives in CGK on a Thursday around 6 pm, plus whatever time it takes us to get through immigration. We spend the night in Jakarta, then have a very early flight the next morning for Sorong (flight scheduled to leave at 5:00 am). So while we will have a few hours in Jakarta, we may be there after the close of most businesses.
It would take you around 40-60 minutes from landing to clear immigration & custom in CGK. If you are using Visa on Arrival, add another 30-60 minutes depending on the length of the queue. Considering your arrival / departure time, you may stay around the airport area however the hotel choices are very limited. It would take you around 40-50 minutes from hotels in central Jakarta to the airport.

I suspect we can probably have them make arrangemenst for the flight out of Sorong, too (in this case to Yogjakarta) - given the complexities of booking tickets from here, I guess I am convinced that makes sense.
I agree that is your best bet since they are used to making arrangements for customers to and from Sorong.

I recommend Garuda for JOG to CGK, GA 207 should give you enough time for any delay. Garuda domestic is in the same Terminal 2 as SQ international departure, while other domestic airlines use Terminal 1 & 3.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

I booked a hotel (at the Borobudur temple near Jogjakarta) via the travelindo/com website, and got a personal response within a couple hours, and it looks like they provide good, responsive service. I will probably give them a try to book the Garuda flight from JOG to CGK. Many thanks for the pointer to them, they look like a very useful find.

Anyone have a recommendation for a convenient hotel near the Jakarta airport (CGK)? We will be looking for something comfortable, clean, safe, not too expensive, for our first night in Indonesia (we arrive from Singapore at 18:05, need to clear immigation, and have a 5 am flight the next morning, so we will primarily be looking for a place to grab a bite for dinnner and get a good (early) night's sleep, and not for nightlife or activities).

Thanks again!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:54 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by asiadxer
It would take you around 40-60 minutes from landing to clear immigration & custom in CGK. If you are using Visa on Arrival, add another 30-60 minutes depending on the length of the queue. Considering your arrival / departure time, you may stay around the airport area however the hotel choices are very limited. It would take you around 40-50 minutes from hotels in central Jakarta to the airport.

I agree that is your best bet since they are used to making arrangements for customers to and from Sorong.
I recommend Garuda for JOG to CGK, GA 207 should give you enough time for any delay. Garuda domestic is in the same Terminal 2 as SQ international departure, while other domestic airlines use Terminal 1 & 3.
Yeah, I'd contact your dive company/agency and have them do the Sorong-Yogya booking. The small surcharge fee they'll likely charge would be well worth it to get this monkey off your back. Just doublecheck before and right when you arrive, that they have followed through.

Yes, the Garuda YOG-CGK is a milk run. I'd take a morning flight that gets you into CGK in the morning. Travelindo should be able to do it, or just get at the YOG airport Garuda office when you arrive, or any agent in Yogya town--of which there are plenty. In case of WX or IRROPS there is plenty of backup option time if you do a morning flight. And if everything goes on schedule, you can use Left Luggage at CGK for a few hours, and pop into the city for a short bout of sightseeing and a good meal before your flight back to SIN.

I don't have any good suggestions for hotels near CGK, sorry. I was looking for same for my trip this past February but gave up and went into town. But I had an earlier arrival and a later departure the following day than you.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Yeah, that 5 am departure from CGK is going to be a bit brutal. Up at 3 am - always my favorite...

I see there's a transit hotel in the airport itself, for about US$85, that might make sense. Gets mixed reviews, but it's only for about 8 hours, and you can't beat the location.

Anybody been there?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Yeah, that 5 am departure from CGK is going to be a bit brutal. Up at 3 am - always my favorite...

I see there's a transit hotel in the airport itself, for about US$85, that might make sense. Gets mixed reviews, but it's only for about 8 hours, and you can't beat the location.
The Transit Hotel is on the top floor the Terminal 2 overlooking the apron. Noise should be less of a factor after midnight. Its convenient, just a short walk from International Arrival. The fast food restaurants should be open till 9-10pm. Anyway after a 20+ hours flight from the States, the jetlags normally kept me awake after 2am.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:58 am
Original Poster

In this case we will have about 4 days in Thailand to recover from the major jetlag of the long transpac, so I think we'll be able to get some sleep. Our flights that day are just BKK - SIN - CGK, nothing very long. I will have good earplugs with me, so unless the noise is particularly loud, I should be OK.

Given the short time, this seems like our best option.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I'm taking a stab in the dark here...

You are staying at Misool, and your flight out is on Express Air?

Express Air is the 'safest' method in that it flies more often than not. Merpati and Lion Air both leave a lot to be desired, especially where connections come into play.

If it was crucial that you made Jogja the same day, I would reverse the flight to Jakarta, and connect to Jogja from there on Garuda. Yes, it seems bizarre to overfly where you want to go, and then come back, but with 9 flights a day you are fairly secure with Garuda in the event of delays. And they are the [U]only[U] Indonesian airline I would risk connecting to an International flight (and they are far from perfect!).

The Merpati and Lion Air flight I believe are connecting somewhere (Makassar? Manado? Both) from Sorong. Not sure if Lion Air 'guarantees' connections? However I will not touch them with yours... And I have had a Merpati flight delayed by 3 days before, so there you go.

Just a brief thought - if you havn't already booked - can you use Silk Air from Solo to connect via Singapore instead of flying back to Jakarta?

GA still have a UK Call Centre - do they have one where you are based?

Last edited by Sam Bee; Aug 31, 2010 at 6:33 am Reason: Add some info:
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
As for a Jakarta Airport Hotel - I have been recommended FM7 (http://www.fm7hotel.com/) as far nicer than the hotel inside the terminal (or the overpriced Sheraton Bandara). I have family in Jakarta to have to suffer the 4 hour car journey into the city instead...

It also has my favourite Trip Advisor Photo

Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:44 pm
UMD

Garuda's International booking engine takes all VISA and Master cards.

Garuda's domestic booking engine also takes the same cards issued only in Australia, China, Germany, Hongkong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Netherlands, Singapore, Switzerland, Thailand and Vietnam.

As an option, I usually go to www.zuji.com.sg and purchased my Garuda ticket there.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:49 pm
UMD

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Thanks, everyone.

I booked a hotel (at the Borobudur temple near Jogjakarta) via the travelindo/com website, and got a personal response within a couple hours, and it looks like they provide good, responsive service. I will probably give them a try to book the Garuda flight from JOG to CGK. Many thanks for the pointer to them, they look like a very useful find.

Anyone have a recommendation for a convenient hotel near the Jakarta airport (CGK)? We will be looking for something comfortable, clean, safe, not too expensive, for our first night in Indonesia (we arrive from Singapore at 18:05, need to clear immigation, and have a 5 am flight the next morning, so we will primarily be looking for a place to grab a bite for dinnner and get a good (early) night's sleep, and not for nightlife or activities).

Thanks again!
Another option would be Sheraton Bandara which is located within the airport perimeter. It is managed by Starwood and is only 5 minutes drive from T2.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA silver, GA silver
Make sure Garuda has a phone number where they can reach you in case of cancellation/change. I was suppose to be on the 1pm flight from JOG - CGK in June when they cancel the flight and put me on an earlier one instead. They called only a few hours before departure. Milk run or not, when the load is low, they'll just cancel flights.

This year I have 8 flights with Garuda so far and the rest pretty much left on-time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.