Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How reliable is Myanmar Airways International?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
How reliable is Myanmar Airways International?

Considering a trip with some travel between Bangkok, Yangon, and Singapore. Myanmar Airways International has convenient flights between RGN and SIN/BKK.

How reliable is this airline? I am having visions of being stuck while they wait for the plane to fill up, or random cancellations or delays, etc. which could really derail my (tight) itinerary. All of the segments I am looking at can be done on TG, PG, SilkAir, Air Asia, etc...

I did a bunch of searching about this airline but info about on-time record and such is scant. Any insight?
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:24 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I have heard nothing bad about the carrier and they run new(ish) A320s on their international routes. Do note that SQ just amended their schedules and now also fly daily SIN-RGN on a 777-200 (2-class), at least part of the year, in addition to the SilkAir flights that continue to operate 2x daily. 7:55am departure and approx. 10:30am return departure from RGN.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:31 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
deleted - duplicate post
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks. I believe SQ will be taking over one of the daily SilkAir runs, not adding another daily run.

Anyone have any more insights into Myanmar Airways International? I'm tempted by the convenient schedule...

Didn't see any way to book business class on their web site, though they do seem to offer it.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
MAI are reliable. They have modern plane, foreign pilots etc. Yes something can go wrong but they will not just cancel the flight if it is not full enough etc. If it works for you then I would go with them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:14 pm

There is also some sort of code-share arrangement with Jetstar Asia, so it might be worth checking whose metal you'll be on.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

I'll be on Myanmar Airways metal inbound and JetStar outbound.

I sent MAI a message on their Facebook page and got a response almost immediately. Was pretty impressed.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:26 am

I suspect they are not overwhelmed with facebook comments from their passengers, unlike Airitalia was recently after their 25000 Yen discount offer.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Following up: the flight on MAI was just fine. We took off from Singapore on-time and landed on-time also.

The flight was about 2/3 full and the in-flight service was perfectly acceptable. My friend and I were literally the only 2 westerners on the plane.

The return flight on Jetstar was packed and not nearly as much fun.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL Plat
you are lucky. My SIN-BKK flight on MAI is delayed by 7 hours today
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

That's too bad. Maybe weather-related this time of year?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:39 am

Business class tickets cannot be purchased from their homepage. This was confirmed from their counter in BKK. The A319 has 8 business class seats in front. Two OTAs are selling: Vayama and Cheaptickets. Very reasonable prices. Recent flightstatistics tell that they are very punctual to and from BKK at least
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Buying tickets on flymna.com

Just want to prompt people to persevere on when buying tickets on flymna.com. on the initial page it will not let you input the dates. Press enter with only the destinations filled in and then it asks you to complete the dates to proceed. Also to be noted is they offer vegan options at meal service. Their time to fly Hong Kong is 9:00am. Useful to know. I have had excellent flights with them last year and will try again next week.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Flew Myanmar National Airlines (www.flymna.com) which is different than Myanmar Airways International (www.maiair.com)

Flew them from Heho (Lake Inle) to Bangkok last month which had a chaotic connection in RGN, but made it in one piece.

Date: 4/11/2017

Itinerary: HEH -> RGN -> BKK

After a few weeks in Myanmar, we were ending our trip at Inle Lake, where international transport links are quite tough. Our only real option was flying Myanmar National Airlines to Bangkok via Yangon from Heho Airport.

Check-In: Heho airport is nothing more than two tiny, austere buildings. We checked in at a table with Myanmar National's logo on it. After presenting passports, we hoped our checked luggage could be checked all the way through to BKK. The initial agent said it could not be done, so we grabbed our boarding passes. and trudged on to security. As we stepped 10 feet away another agent chased us down and said it could be done. We waited about 15 minutes while our old bag tags were ripped off, phone calls were made and everything was signed, sealed and delivered.
Hehe Airport
Flight UB0418 Heho (HEH) -> Yangon (RGN)

After security, we waited in the departures hall. There were no airline employees in departures, so it became frustrating as our flight was getting delayed, our connection time in Yangon was getting shorter and no updates were being shared. Eventually our aircraft arrived, and we departed about 45 minutes late. The ATR 72 plane was perfectly serviceable, and reminded me of Portland to Seattle hops on Alaska Air Q400s. Pastry boxes were served onboard along with tea or coffee which was a pleasant surprise.

Flight UB017 Yangon (RGN) -> Bangkok (BKK)

On arriving in Yangon, many people tried to help in getting us to the international terminal. The bus driver from the plane to the terminal even said he would manually grab our bags and drive them to our next aircraft. Since we arrived in the domestic terminal, we would have to switch terminals to the international one. An airline employee walked us to a van which he mentioned would take us to the other terminal. It was full of airport employees who waited patiently with us for a few minutes. When it didn't seem like the driver was leaving anytime soon, they told us they were walking and it was only a few minutes away. It was literally the next building over, a less than 5 minute walk. We ran through security and were the last ones on the plane. Inside, it looked like a standard United or AA 737-800, although with only two rows of First Class which was fully occupied and even had a monk sitting in the second row. A full meal was served, which was more or less inedible. We obviously didn't mind considering we don't expect food on flights this short and we arrived in Bangkok right on time.

If flying in Myanmar, make sure you are flying on the same airline all the way through, and have sufficient connecting time. In the end, Myanmar National Airlines got us from point A to B (and fed us on the way!), and our only qualm was with be the lack of communication and airline staff after security in Heho Airport, which meant getting info about the delay was a detective's task.

We have some pics (from this flight) and other reviews on our trip around the world, if anyone is interested on our personal blog - https://www.tsunamiseason.com/planes...eho-to-bangkok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.