Wiki Posts
Search

Bagan - Myanmar flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:49 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Bagan - Myanmar flights

I'm planning to see Bagan on my next Myanmar MR. I could not find a way to book it online but a Rangon travel agent quoted $250 ai for the RT. I was curious if there is a way to make it an award ticket or get a better quote?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
You should be able to book online using airline's website, for example Mandalay Airlines or Myanmar Airways.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by highman123
I'm planning to see Bagan on my next Myanmar MR. I could not find a way to book it online but a Rangon travel agent quoted $250 ai for the RT. I was curious if there is a way to make it an award ticket or get a better quote?
ITS BURMA not MYANMAR ( that was the Military dictatorship's choice of name ). Temples of Bagan ( 5000 temples over a 5 X 5 miles area some 1 person temples - others huge - One of the most incredible places on earth to visit but hardly anyone knows about it. Watch the sunrise from top of a Temple - you will never forget. Then go to Mandalay and work your way south from there.. Make sure to see INLE LAKE floating villages too. In 15 years this unique habitation will be gone so see it now.Bring some small candies for the children and some soap/shampoo samples for the ladies.
Buses are extremely cheap but a tough ride from Rangoon to Mandalay but you will survive. Domestic air is triopoly. Local people urge you to avoid MYANMAR AIR as they are government controlled. I flew BAGAN AIR ( maybe also gov ) Mandalay Air is also good. Always a bit expensive because virtually no competition and no award travel . No problem buying ticket on location with Rangoon TA. TAs there get 30 % discounts vs buying from abroad. Enjoy NOW because the country is changing rapidly and the old culture will inevitably suffer.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Aug 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
ITS BURMA not MYANMAR ( that was the Military dictatorship's choice of name ). Temples of Bagan ( 5000 temples over a 5 X 5 miles area some 1 person temples - others huge - One of the most incredible places on earth to visit but hardly anyone knows about it. Watch the sunrise from top of a Temple - you will never forget. Then go to Mandalay and work your way south from there.. Make sure to see INLE LAKE floating villages too. In 15 years this unique habitation will be gone so see it now.Bring some small candies for the children and some soap/shampoo samples for the ladies.
Buses are extremely cheap but a tough ride from Rangoon to Mandalay but you will survive. Domestic air is triopoly. Local people urge you to avoid MYANMAR AIR as they are government controlled. I flew BAGAN AIR ( maybe also gov ) Mandalay Air is also good. Always a bit expensive because virtually no competition and no award travel . No problem buying ticket on location with Rangoon TA. TAs there get 30 % discounts vs buying from abroad. Enjoy NOW because the country is changing rapidly and the old culture will inevitably suffer.
Thanks for this post, WWE! I just went to Burma in March, and I hope to go back very soon. My friend was there one year ago and was shocked when I told her what I saw - so much is changing so fast! I hope to go back very soon, because already when you go from Rangoon to Bagan, the effect of tourism becomes clear. I didn't know about soap and shampoo for the ladies, but I will take some with me next time.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
And we should use the name Burma because this name has been used since the area was ruled (for over a century) by a non-oppressive colonial power who was democratically-elected
ITS BURMA not MYANMAR ( that was the Military dictatorship's choice of name ) ...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
ITS BURMA not MYANMAR ( that was the Military dictatorship's choice of name ).
The gov decided to call it Myanmar, who are you to contradict it?

Bring some small candies for the children and some soap/shampoo samples for the ladies.
Please do not EVER bring candies for the kiddies. This is a great way to get them addicted to foreigner gifts....
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:23 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

I appreciate the replies but hey I was more interested in getting a better deal on the Bagan flights - any comments on that?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I appreciate the replies but hey I was more interested in getting a better deal on the Bagan flights - any comments on that?
My experience is only as recent as 8 years ago. Sorry.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Just checked my last 6 tickets and I pay $178, so it appears to be cheaper if you do it in Yangon. I have to overnight when I fly over, so I arrange with the hotel to have a couple of tickets for the next day. The airlines have started a FF scheme which gives you miles and access to their lounges, but it is early days and honestly it is more fun sitting in the terminal. Bagan you will love, spend some time there, easy to pick up a guide and car at the airport who will be on call every day of your stay, see Popo too
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:21 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
We are planning on arriving in RGN from BKK and continuing on to Bagan later that same morning. Can we just show up and buy tickets at the airport counter? Or is that a bad idea?

I have e-mailed the tarvel agents on Air Bagan's website but they have not responded in over a week.

What to do?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:29 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Originally Posted by g_leyser
We are planning on arriving in RGN from BKK and continuing on to Bagan later that same morning. Can we just show up and buy tickets at the airport counter? Or is that a bad idea?

I have e-mailed the tarvel agents on Air Bagan's website but they have not responded in over a week.

What to do?
Try these guys they respond pretty well

http://www.exoticmyanmartravel.com/
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:51 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I booked my flights within Myanmar through epgtravel.com I was very pleased. I used them for guides and hotels as well. I do not know what the flights priced out to be individually, unfortunately.

Someone mentioned Myanmar Airways. If you are interested in avoided government-owned businesses, select a different carrier. epg would not put you on there and was very good about selecting properties and carriers that were not government owned. Bagan Air and Mandalay Air are ok.

As for the country's name, I asked most everyone I talked to - and these were people who belonged to the NLD - what was the appropriate name for the country. All said Myanmar was the original name of the country long before military rule (it's written in some of the 17th century temples in Bagan) and was appropriate as Burma is inclusive only of Burmese people, but there are 135 ethnic groups in Myanmar. Much more on the name of the country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Burma

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:47 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Try these guys they respond pretty well

http://www.exoticmyanmartravel.com/
Many thanks for this.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone flown into cities in Burma other than Rangoon from Bangkok? The only flights I can find are Air Asia into Mandalay, which is only a few times a week. I'm hoping to go mid next week (depending on getting a visa in Bangkok, as when I went to the New York Mission of Burma, I was told that the 5 business days they quoted on the phone was actually 10). I'd rather avoid internal flights in the country, if possible. ITA laughs at me and suggests flying through two cities in China en route to Mandalay. I'll only have less than two weeks total in the country and would rather avoid visiting Rangoon twice, partially due to hotel cost concerns. Advance thanks
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by dsquared37
The gov decided to call it Myanmar, who are you to contradict it?

Please do not EVER bring candies for the kiddies. This is a great way to get them addicted to foreigner gifts....
+1 This, this right here is the reason there is so much begging in many parts of the worlds.. People come in, believing they are doing 'the right thing' or a nice thing for the locals and want to treat them while they are visiting. However, you create a society that relies on begging instead of doing better things with their lives.

if you want to do something, donate money to a school or local organization or supplies to a hospital or something of that nature.... but stop bringing gifts for people, unless you are invited to someones house!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.