Tight Connection At PEK

Old Jun 25, 12, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Tight Connection At PEK

Hey all, experienced traveler, novice poster.

I've never flown through PEK before, and after reading some threads I'm becoming increasingly worried about my CA itinerary in a few days.

I'm flying JFK - PEK - BKK all with CA.

My flight arrives in PEK at 18:20. My flight then departs to BKK at 19:35.

Has anyone ever flown this itinerary? If so, is it a doable itinerary? The entire itinerary was booked on one ticket, but I really don't feel like spending a night in an airport.

Anything I should be aware of as I try and rush to my next gate at T3 in PEK?
Old Jun 25, 12, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check luggage through and try hard to get all boarding passes before leaving NYC.

PEK tends to have a lot of weather and ATC delays, so don't panic; your departing flight is likely to be delayed.

If you do misconnect and need to wait until the next day, be aware of the transit without visa rules that should make it easy to leave the airport, assuming your nationality is eligible.
Old Jun 26, 12, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Check luggage through and try hard to get all boarding passes before leaving NYC.

PEK tends to have a lot of weather and ATC delays, so don't panic; your departing flight is likely to be delayed.

If you do misconnect and need to wait until the next day, be aware of the transit without visa rules that should make it easy to leave the airport, assuming your nationality is eligible.
While this is true, the way delays usually play out is that they put you on the plane, close the doors, and make you wait while they receive clearance to leave. All airlines adhere to this same protocol.

That having been said, I believe the OP will make his connection. If not, it will be on CA's hands to make things right, but they will probably offer him a really bad hotel.

Last edited by moondog; Jun 26, 12 at 3:55 am
Old Jun 26, 12, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will check bags through to BKK, ask for my PEK - BKK boarding pass @ JFK and run like hell. I guess I'll deal with a bad hotel. I've seen worse, I'm sure.
Old Jun 26, 12, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by conman718 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check bags through to BKK, ask for my PEK - BKK boarding pass @ JFK and run like hell. I guess I'll deal with a bad hotel. I've seen worse, I'm sure.
Why not spare yourself the stress and simply spend the night here in a decent hotel? Beijing is a really cool city, and most passport holders can stay visa free for up to 24 hours.
Old Jun 27, 12, 1:01 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

Essentially, ALL nationalities are eligible for 24 hour Transit Without Visa at any Chinese airport when on intl-to-intl connection. Where the nationality limitation comes into play is in Shanghai for the extended 48 hour allowance--this is only for passport holders on the favored country list.
Old Sep 3, 13, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by conman718 View Post
Hey all, experienced traveler, novice poster.

I've never flown through PEK before, and after reading some threads I'm becoming increasingly worried about my CA itinerary in a few days.

I'm flying JFK - PEK - BKK all with CA.

My flight arrives in PEK at 18:20. My flight then departs to BKK at 19:35.

Has anyone ever flown this itinerary? If so, is it a doable itinerary? The entire itinerary was booked on one ticket, but I really don't feel like spending a night in an airport.

Anything I should be aware of as I try and rush to my next gate at T3 in PEK?
How did your trip look like?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: