FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   BKK-KUL-DPS on MH New aircraft? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1352270-bkk-kul-dps-mh-new-aircraft.html)

kaushik123 Jun 1, 2012 3:39 pm

BKK-KUL-DPS on MH New aircraft?

Hello,

I am looking to buy a round trip on MH from BKK to DPS. Wondering if the 737's on these routes are the new ones. If so, do they have PTV's in economy class?

Thanks!

mario33 Jun 3, 2012 7:45 pm

I am 100% sure I have been on a new aircraft for the BKK sector, and 99% sure for the DPS sector as well; but why would personal tv matter for such short flights :confused:

TGflyergirl Jun 4, 2012 4:14 am

Here's my short guide on the MH 737-800 fleet:

Malaysia has effectively 3 subfleets of the 737-800.

The MX series birds.
The ML series birds - which are leased
The FF series birds - ex firefly.

In J
1) All the three subfleets have 16 J seats.
2) FF and ML series birds have a bit better seat pitch than the MX birds. I'd say maybe 45 vs 42 inches.
3) Lousy bulkhead legroom on MX birds. ML and FF birds have pretty good legroom on the right hand side (1D/F) and even greater legroom on the left hand side (1A/C) - those are the seats you want.
3) MX birds have PTVs. ML and FF birds do not. On "longer" flights the ML and FF birds carry the digi-player
4) IIRC, ML and FF birds do not have footrests, MX ones do.

in Y
1) Seat pitch is the same roughly across all subfleets. Somehow feels claustrophobic and the older 737-400's have the 737-800 beat.
2) PTV's only on the MX birds.

As for rotation: there is no hard and fast rule which destination gets what.

But a good indication is this:

Look up the seat map: If you can select row 30 - it's likely an ML bird. MX and IIRC FF birds, end at row 29.

RJ77 Jun 4, 2012 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl (Post 18693564)

The MX series birds.

In J
2) FF and ML series birds have a bit better seat pitch than the MX birds. I'd say maybe 45 vs 42 inches.
3) Lousy bulkhead legroom on MX birds. ML and FF birds have pretty good legroom on the right hand side (1D/F) and even greater legroom on the left hand side (1A/C) - those are the seats you want.
3) MX birds have PTVs. ML and FF birds do not. On "longer" flights the ML and FF birds carry the digi-player

in Y
1) Seat pitch is the same roughly across all subfleets. Somehow feels claustrophobic and the older 737-400's have the 737-800 beat.

Look up the seat map: If you can select row 30 - it's likely an ML bird. MX and IIRC FF birds, end at row 29.

Nice summary TGflyergirl. Am often confused at the inconsistency of the 737-800, now it clears up. MX birds are definitely nicer with touch screen PTV and "skylight" but as you mentioned, seats are very crammed. And the J seats don't feel particularly comfortable as well.

Btw, why does OP feel it necessary to connect at KUL onwards to DPS? TG offers a far superior product on a non-stop flight for not much more.

TGflyergirl Jun 4, 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 18698893)
Nice summary TGflyergirl. Am often confused at the inconsistency of the 737-800, now it clears up. MX birds are definitely nicer with touch screen PTV and "skylight" but as you mentioned, seats are very crammed. And the J seats don't feel particularly comfortable as well.

Btw, why does OP feel it necessary to connect at KUL onwards to DPS? TG offers a far superior product on a non-stop flight for not much more.

Thanks - essentially it's like this:

In J you either get good legroom or you get a PTV.
In Y legroom is pretty much the same so you always hope for an MX bird with PTVs

You choose your poison :p

kaushik123 Jun 5, 2012 12:04 am

Thank you!

Thanks everyone especially TGflyergirl for the great input

mario33 : Travelling with a 3 year old often means the only sanity is the IFE/PTV that they can play with ;)

RJ77: For the dates I am looking at in July, TG's nonstop is more than USD 1400 r/t whereas MH is offering the same for around 500 r/t so it's an easy choice.

Ofcourse, there's always Jetstar Asia or AirAsia, but can't really get myself to fly them yet.

RJ77 Jun 5, 2012 12:49 am

Originally Posted by kaushik123 (Post 18699277)
RJ77: For the dates I am looking at in July, TG's nonstop is more than USD 1400 r/t whereas MH is offering the same for around 500 r/t so it's an easy choice.

What dates are you looking at? Just browse through kayak, TG consistently gives mid $400s to mid $600s on different dates.

kaushik123 Jun 5, 2012 7:49 am

Originally Posted by RJ77 (Post 18699377)
What dates are you looking at? Just browse through kayak, TG consistently gives mid $400s to mid $600s on different dates.

July 20 returning July 22. I checked Kayak and every other website. Seems like a busy time to travel on TG since the lowest is USD1000+

UMD Jun 6, 2012 1:30 am

Originally Posted by kaushik123 (Post 18700694)
July 20 returning July 22. I checked Kayak and every other website. Seems like a busy time to travel on TG since the lowest is USD1000+

If you don't mind transferring at another airport, why don't you try GA? It is guaranteed AVOD PTV all the way. The CGK - DPS leg will give you an option to fly a wide body A333 as well which is also AVOD PTV equipped in all classes.

GA website quotes BKK - DPS - BKK only @ USD 460 per pax for adults and @ USD 344 per pax for children plus surcharges.

doctorjosh Jun 6, 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl (Post 18693564)

The MX series birds.

In J

in Y

Fantastic summary! Thank you. Will be flying KUL-BKK return at the end of this month. Really keen to catch the MX series birds, as I've yet to fly a BSI B738. I've parked myself in 1F. It's a short flight so the bulkhead legroom shouldn't really bother me.

kaushik123 Jun 6, 2012 7:52 am

Originally Posted by UMD (Post 18706282)
If you don't mind transferring at another airport, why don't you try GA? It is guaranteed AVOD PTV all the way. The CGK - DPS leg will give you an option to fly a wide body A333 as well which is also AVOD PTV equipped in all classes.

GA website quotes BKK - DPS - BKK only @ USD 460 per pax for adults and @ USD 344 per pax for children plus surcharges.

Thanks UMD. How is CGK for transit?

mario33 Jun 6, 2012 8:18 am

Originally Posted by doctorjosh (Post 18706960)
Fantastic summary! Thank you. Will be flying KUL-BKK return at the end of this month. Really keen to catch the MX series birds, as I've yet to fly a BSI B738. I've parked myself in 1F. It's a short flight so the bulkhead legroom shouldn't really bother me.

If you are on row 1, the leased aircraft would give you better legroom.
The seats in biz class are also more comfortable on the leased aircraft, it's much softer. Only disadvantage is lack of ptv, but for such short flights it doesn't bother me.

TGflyergirl Jun 6, 2012 8:32 am

Originally Posted by doctorjosh (Post 18706960)
I've parked myself in 1F.

Park yourself in 1A - if it's an MX bird no loss because they're the same for both port and starboard sides, if it's an ML/FF bird - you get more legroom on the left hand side.

doctorjosh Jun 6, 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by TGflyergirl (Post 18707714)
Park yourself in 1A - if it's an MX bird no loss because they're the same for both port and starboard sides, if it's an ML/FF bird - you get more legroom on the left hand side.

I tried parking myself in 1A but couldn't do it online because that is a bassinet seat, so not open for seat reservation. I can ring MAS and try to change my seat to 1A. Thanks again for the wonderful advice!

Sam Bee Jun 8, 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by UMD (Post 18706282)

CGK is fine Garuda to Garuda. I love the openness of the airport. I love the new Garuda as well! I wasn't aware GA was guaranteed PTV though. It's no swampy or KLIA, but Jakarta gets a rough ride sometimes!

But - for 2 days you say? Isn't the Thai AirAsia a morning departure? If so why not save your money and book on that. Booked preferred seating, luggage that will be a bit over what you will take, some meals for everyone, even red carpet (if they offer it) - you will be a brand new A320 - and at 06:15 - most likely on time as won't be coming from anywhere (and it turns around in Bali, and comes back - I find most issues on AirAsia are late afternoon shorter hops where delays are most likely). The money you save - buy a Nintendo for the kid - you'll still be $$$ in most likely?

And most importantly save you hours you can spend in Bali. That would be my priority!