Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Holy air-safety China Eastern: they let me put my bags on the seats on takeoff/landin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holy air-safety China Eastern: they let me put my bags on the seats on takeoff/landin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Traveling to HKG from China, taking China Eastern. I've paid the last minute upgrade to upgrade myself to "First Class" (which is really regional business), it is 737-700 plane. At "First Class" there are three of us each sitting in our own 2-seater. All of us have a laptop bag and another 20" luggage carried on. When I got on the flight attendant told me to "just put your bags at the empty seat next to you", and I thought wow, full service, they will put it on overhead bin for me. But after everyone is seated the stewardess put the 20" bag to the leg space in front of the empty seat, and then BUCKLE my laptop bag on the empty seat next to me!!! (She did the same to the other two passengers in "First Class") The plane took-off and landed like this!

Holy air-safety.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
To 'buckle up' your laptop bag (or even jacket!) on an empty seat next to you is also standard procedure on AB and LH; AF usually let you have it there without it wearing its seatbelt.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've seen this happen on NH, CA and CZ as well (mainly in regional C because regional Y is usually packed on those airlines). I've never thought there was anything wrong with it.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:28 pm

I would think if you really felt unsafe, you would have moved it under the seat, though you may have been in the bulkhead. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
I would think if you really felt unsafe, you would have moved it under the seat, though you may have been in the bulkhead. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Guess you guys don't travel international much. CX will not even allow a woman's handbag to be held in the arm, won't even allow newspapers sitting in empty seats (they have to be in the pocket), and will never ever allow 20" carry-on luggage in any floor space.

Have to say, never seem this and sure, whatever. Easier for me to get my stuff to work during flight.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Guess you guys don't travel international much.
I am not sure whether travel international has anything to do with this safety procedure.

Were you in the aisle seat or window seat?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Guess you guys don't travel international much. CX will not even allow a woman's handbag to be held in the arm, won't even allow newspapers sitting in empty seats (they have to be in the pocket), and will never ever allow 20" carry-on luggage in any floor space.

Have to say, never seem this and sure, whatever. Easier for me to get my stuff to work during flight.
As I said, LH and AB do the same (although it also depends on the flight attendent you get!), TG also didn't mind having my laptop bag on the emtpy business seat next to me without its seatbelt, whereas EI for example is very strict and doublechecks that everything is properly stowed below the seat in front of you, including newspaper coats etc. I could never understand this.
Is that international enough?

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Mar 17, 2012 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:02 pm

Have flown DL exclusively internationally, 4-5 times a year for the past 10 or so years. Until the last few years, I was allowed to park a computer bag on the floor in front of my BE seat. In the past couple of years, it has been hit or miss, though it is true that more recently there has been more focus on having nothing on the floor. So it seems that procedures differ and thus experiences for experienced international travelers differ as well.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 4:21 am

Flying to Chinqdao many years ago I remember the bulkhead opposite me being filled with the crews luggage (10 bags at least). Sadly I didn't get the free leather belt my buddy did at the check-in counter
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
I managed to have a rather large box as hand-carry on a flight from PVG-HKG with China Eastern which wouldn't fit in the overhead locker so they buckled it to the free seat next to me.

On transferring to a CX flight at HKG they told me that the box was far to big to take as carry-on and I had to check it in. The flight wasn't full so I asked them if they could do what MU did and just strap it to the seat next to me. They said no but I did get upgraded to business from economy so can't complain! Different airlines, different rules, but MU are certainly more 'laissez faire' when it comes to carry-on baggage.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SQ tends to put standard wheeled carry on bags under the table on 747 IFC and to sometimes put them in the foot room of empty seats, unsecured. However, in biz, they insist that nothing can be under the seat in front of you for takeoffs and landings.

On a recent DL connection small RJ, someone almost, until I called for the FA and pointed it out to him, had their luggage in the foot room of the neighboring empty seat. I was shocked. This was something that should have been gate checked, but it was too late so the FA just halfheartedly shoved it a bit under the seat.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: various
As long as the luggage is buckled up in its own seat, I don't see what the problem is either. After all, most luggage is not nearly as big and round and heavy as most of the passengers, who are similarly buckled in. Even on US airlines (which are as anal-retentive as they come), cellos are allowed in the window seat of many aircraft.

Seems a heck of a lot safer than the abomination of practices: "lap children" (i.e. free-to-catapult babies).
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I've seen AZ take a slew of 20" rollers and belt them (sort of) into the seats and floorspace of an empty row of Euro-biz. An odd bag here or there, secured, I don't have an issue with. However, the AZ approach was a bit extreme because there were so many bags involved and they were just sort of piled in haphazardly.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Seatbelt strapped items, but only in bulkhead window seats, used to be the norm in the US. Today, an EMPTY bulkhead window seat?!?!? Don't think so!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I agree - I can't really see the issue here if the bags are buckled up.

Ideally the bag should be against the window and the passenger on the aisle (in case you need to exit quickly) - but that is your choice as the passenger to move in that situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.