Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Stupid question - why do SpiceJet/IndiGo etc do not have interline agreement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, PriorityClub Platinum, SPG Platinum

All,

I am based in PNQ and really really hate driving to Mumbai to catch my international flights and vice-versa on my way back.

One option is to take the evening Jet flight to Mumbai, but it leaves too early (5:30 PMish I believe) and results in a long lay-over in Mumbai.

Second option is to take the Jet flight to Delhi - that leaves a little later - around 7:00 PMish, a shorter layover, but still a bit longer.

However, I see SpiceJet and Indigo have later flights to Delhi or Chennai from where I can get on to BA flights. Which brings up the question - why would these airlines not have interlining agreements? Does it involve alignment of systems and processes and the cost outweighs the benefits and the market too small as they are happy catering to the domestic customer?

Just trying to understand.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:51 am

They're LCCs. Typically, they don't even do connections between two of their own flights. Interlining with another airline has costs associated with it, that don't work in an LCC model (unless you're called Jet Whatever, then it's all about HighCost and LoFares).

Last edited by jasepl; Jul 16, 2012 at 6:01 am
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by cal_dood
All,

I am based in PNQ and really really hate driving to Mumbai to catch my international flights and vice-versa on my way back.

One option is to take the evening Jet flight to Mumbai, but it leaves too early (5:30 PMish I believe) and results in a long lay-over in Mumbai.

Second option is to take the Jet flight to Delhi - that leaves a little later - around 7:00 PMish, a shorter layover, but still a bit longer.

However, I see SpiceJet and Indigo have later flights to Delhi or Chennai from where I can get on to BA flights. Which brings up the question - why would these airlines not have interlining agreements? Does it involve alignment of systems and processes and the cost outweighs the benefits and the market too small as they are happy catering to the domestic customer?

Just trying to understand.
its very rare to see lcc airlines have interline agreement with other airlines....

what time is your international flight????
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

I usually take BA flights which leave around 2:30am ish from both BOM & DEL
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:02 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I usually take BA flights which leave around 2:30am ish from both BOM & DEL
So then the G8 flight is probably too late for you...

Why don't you just book it as seperate tickets?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:30 am
Original Poster

1. Why is it too late?
2. Sorry - separate tickets is a minefield when not if there are irrops.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
1. Why is it too late?
Gets in a 1:40 AM... not enough time to connect to a 2:30 AM international departure
2. Sorry - separate tickets is a minefield when not if there are irrops.
When there are 2 flights leaving within 5 minutes of each other, you can always buy a refundable ticket on both and take whichever one is on-time...

Regardless, keep in mind that you will have to change terminals at DEL if you don't take AI or 9W.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks. The advice to buy refundable tix though maybe feasible, does not meet my real need. The reason I like to fly out of Pune and not Mumbai as I want to relax a bit after my checkin. If I still have to worry about baggage and refundable tix etc, I'll stick to 9W or drive to Mumbai.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:19 pm
Suspended

It has been explained before that once an airline is a signatory to MITA, it can interline with every signatory of MITA. For LCC's and for regional airlines it may not make sense to sign MITA agreement, as it's not free.
If an airline is not interested in being a feeder to other airlines, it makes little sense for it to sign MITA.

AN airline may also sign individual agreements with specific airline for interlining.

Strictly speaking MITA provisions for interlining apply only to a single itinerary. Two separate tickets do not automatically allow interlining.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Strictly speaking MITA provisions for interlining apply only to a single itinerary. Two separate tickets do not automatically allow interlining.
9W just told me that they have stopped merging 9W-9W itineraries too now. All segments MUST be on the same ticket number to allow through baggage check-in.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Air India Silver Edge, Jet Airways Silver
Air India Express had a daily flight Pune to Mumbai that came in from DXB on some days and SIN (i think on other days).

departure was at midnight from PNQ arrival 30 mins later intl terminal. Very convenient and not too expensive.

used to be surprisingly full, with connecting passengers i think.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
One of the few LCCs that interline is JetBlue(B6), mainly out of JFK. But its just a oneway street, B6 only tries to get traffic from other airlines onto their flights. Nice idea, especially in JFK where many international airlines land and have no option to get their pax on flights into the hinterland.

Could be a concept for India too, but which gateway has easy transfer possibilities for LCC<>Longhaul? BLR maybe? DEL & BOM are definitely out...
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Anish
9W just told me that they have stopped merging 9W-9W itineraries too now. All segments MUST be on the same ticket number to allow through baggage check-in.
It could be that that's the official line (help cover their exposure in the event of eventualities) but individual stations / agents still might do it in practice.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Originally Posted by jasepl
It could be that that's the official line (help cover their exposure in the event of eventualities) but individual stations / agents still might do it in practice.
No I called up the airport manager in Goa to confirm (Cause I'm flying GOI-BOM / BOM-BRU) on two separate tickets and she said it's possible they don't do it anymore since it's likely that the bag will be misplaced in BOM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Anish
No I called up the airport manager in Goa to confirm (Cause I'm flying GOI-BOM / BOM-BRU) on two separate tickets and she said it's possible they don't do it anymore since it's likely that the bag will be misplaced in BOM.
Well, with the way things change (usually for the worse at Jet) I'm not surprised.

However, it was just a couple of months ago and actually at GOI that the excellent check-in agent happily tagged bags without being asked.

A bunch of us checked in together, but were headed to different places. The agent saw and overheard us trying to coordinate bags and asked if she could help. Next thing you know, she had happily tagged my cousin's bag all the way to Narita, even though GOI-BOM was on JetKonnect (9W) and BOM-NRT was on All Nippon.

It's one thing not to interline when the flights are on separate carriers and separate tickets. But not to allow Jet-to-Jet? That's a new one.

And that's brave of you to do GOI-BRU on Jet. What are you going to do for the delightful 6 hour-layover on the outbound and the even more delightful 8 hours on the return?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.