Search

CI adds Sydney-Taipei flights on A333

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles
CI adds Sydney-Taipei flights on A333

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlin...taipei-flights

That is the right strategic decision me thinks. A333 allows full-payload to the SE Pacific allowing them to reduce the fuel costs while capturing premium C, Y+ and Y traffic.

5x weekly, Taiwan-Australia traffic must be growing.

The interesting part is them advertising a New York JFK connection.

Yeah anyone that flies 10+ hours out of their way is out of their mind UNLESS THE FARE IS CHEAP which I guess is what CI is targeting in low-end Y.

The non-stop Western world to Western world trans-Pacific flights of Oceania to North America/South America (LAN/AR/QF) has been chokers full lately (just read the QF forum) with even Hawaiian/ANZ making money on SYD/AKL-HNL.

Though if you scheduled a business meeting in Asia in the mean-time that could work.

More interesting though would be CI to target EU traffic on the Kangaroo route.

But the problem with the Kangaroo route for CI to Europe from Australia is the Taiwan political problem preventing them from overflying Mainland China airspace non-stop to Europe (if they didn't have this problem they could fly the LOGICAL ENGINEERING route of TPE-LHR via PVG. It literally would be TPE-PVG-LHR via the existing path.)

Didn't CI/BR's non-stop flight paths take a ....-long de-tour via Japan making it essentially the longest Asia-Europe flight path in the world (TPE-NRT-LHR essentially) with the usual Japan-Europe flight path over Russia which is standard.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles
http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlin...ted-articleend

http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlin...ted-articleend
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Routine season add/drop.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Would be good if CI adds MEL flights, possible tag-on to the SYD flight? Or perhaps 2-3 weekly MEL-TPE would be much appreciated, Inbound Taiwanese market into MEL is growing at double digit growth, without direct flights year on year.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:04 am

They are possibly also targeting low-end C pax. Usually CI/BR's Australia/Europe Australia/USA C fares are only between half to 2/3 of other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.