Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How will BR/CI react with SQ starting SIN-TPE-JFK!?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Surely TPE-SEA-IAH would be a much better idea, even if it's likely to be as unsuccessful (I mean, it must've been dropped for a reason, right?).
My word to SQ - DO THIS! Look at how full those flights on MH are to and from LAX!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blackmamba
My word to SQ - DO THIS! Look at how full those flights on MH are to and from LAX!
If SQ does TPE-SEA-IAH, then it completes RTW for SQ but the point is NYC, not HOU.

MH is full on TPE-LAX probably because it is cheaper than BR and CI and has feed out of KUL.

Not sure if SQ will price out lower. SQ had a loyal following between LAX and TPE but I guess TPE's yield is just too low with BR and CI and the lack of business travellers.

They really wanted the lowest cost route between SIN & JFK. The TPE market will be secondary, it seems.

Last edited by username; Jul 16, 2011 at 11:56 pm
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by blackmamba
1) MH's only North American destination is LAX
2) TPE - LAX is full because it offers the cheapest air fare on nonstop basis. That's the only way for them to survive

SQ pulled out TPE LAX because it insisted not to be involved with price war that will hurt their yield.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Surely TPE-SEA-IAH would be a much better idea, even if it's likely to be as unsuccessful (I mean, it must've been dropped for a reason, right?).
It's different though. For BR the main market is SEA on the leg you suggested, not IAH.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
It's different though. For BR the main market is SEA on the leg you suggested, not IAH.
Oh, I was referring to CI.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:02 pm

BR Moves to JFK as of 31 Oct

"BR focuses on cargo and Taiwanese market, many of them resides in northern Jersey. I highly doubt BR will move to JFK."

Email from Eva Air on 15 July stated "EVA New flight service from JFK to Taipei" this service begins 31 Oct 2011. The email is disingenuous in that they neglected to say explicitly that the EWR-TPE service is being discontinued, which is quite an omission. Operating out of JFK is more than just 'new' -- it will effectively replace EWR.

EVA agents have advised that the airline is considering offering shuttle bus service from EWR to JFK, but those details have not been finalized and will likely not be available until September or October. Offering shuttle bus service from EWR to JFK does not make the JFK route desirable. IMO

BR may indeed focus on cargo, but if BR routes are operating consistently at 86-92% capacity (per EVA agents) it is difficult to conceive that this does not generate sufficient margin to continue EWR operations. If EVA wants higher margins, there likely is some room for price increases as their flights provide one-stop (re-fueling) service EWR-TPE and non-stop TPE-EWR which no other airline currently offers from EWR. Due to the close proximity of, and access to, EWR, plus a flight duration that is far less than competitors, BR flights offer a powerful incentive for people who need to consider overall flight time - including commuting to the airport - when making their choice of airline carriers for their family.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:00 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by UnrestrictedEntity
"BR focuses on cargo and Taiwanese market, many of them resides in northern Jersey. I highly doubt BR will move to JFK."

Email from Eva Air on 15 July stated "EVA New flight service from JFK to Taipei" this service begins 31 Oct 2011. The email is disingenuous in that they neglected to say explicitly that the EWR-TPE service is being discontinued, which is quite an omission. Operating out of JFK is more than just 'new' -- it will effectively replace EWR.

EVA agents have advised that the airline is considering offering shuttle bus service from EWR to JFK, but those details have not been finalized and will likely not be available until September or October. Offering shuttle bus service from EWR to JFK does not make the JFK route desirable. IMO

BR may indeed focus on cargo, but if BR routes are operating consistently at 86-92% capacity (per EVA agents) it is difficult to conceive that this does not generate sufficient margin to continue EWR operations. If EVA wants higher margins, there likely is some room for price increases as their flights provide one-stop (re-fueling) service EWR-TPE and non-stop TPE-EWR which no other airline currently offers from EWR. Due to the close proximity of, and access to, EWR, plus a flight duration that is far less than competitors, BR flights offer a powerful incentive for people who need to consider overall flight time - including commuting to the airport - when making their choice of airline carriers for their family.
This little tibit makes BR's decision to move to JFK more puzzling, especially with the rumor of SQ running nonstop JFK-TPE-JFK. While I understand SQ & BR appeal to different crowds (especially up front), why abandon an essentially monopoly & compete head-to-head with one of the best carriers in the air?

LAX

Last edited by LAX; Aug 11, 2011 at 9:53 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
So what happened to SQ SIN-TPE-JFK?

I guess it was one of those things imagined by FTers?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by bzcat

SQ had SIN-TPE-LAX but ended it because it wasn't making them enough revenue to justify such route. And LAX is the city with the most Taiwanese immigrants. Also, most Taiwanese are "comfortable" with flying CI/BR. Since TPE doesn't generate great business pax traffic, I do wonder how well SQ can stay competitive in this route (if it is indeed opened.)

With that said, JFK seems to be a hotly contested route. CX is looking to open a 5th daily flight, BR is looking to invade and now this SQ rumor. Interesting....
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:15 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
SQ had SIN-TPE-LAX but ended it because it wasn't making them enough revenue to justify such route. And LAX is the city with the most Taiwanese immigrants. Also, most Taiwanese are "comfortable" with flying CI/BR. Since TPE doesn't generate great business pax traffic, I do wonder how well SQ can stay competitive in this route (if it is indeed opened.)

With that said, JFK seems to be a hotly contested route. CX is looking to open a 5th daily flight, BR is looking to invade and now this SQ rumor. Interesting....
FIVE flights to HKG from JFK?? How many are nonstops? Perhaps SQ should consider a stop at HKG enroute to SIN instead of TPE!

LAX
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by LAX
FIVE flights to HKG from JFK?? How many are nonstops? Perhaps SQ should consider a stop at HKG enroute to SIN instead of TPE!

LAX
Currently CX has 3 non-stop flights JFK-HKG, 1 JFK-YVR-HKG, and the rumor is they are going to add another non-stop JFK-HKG flight.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by bzcat

The original rumor started from the other forum, which now claimed it's postponed till 2012.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 12:56 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
As for BR's moving to JFK, I don't think they'll lose much.

CI's new daytime schedule makes all SEAsia bound passengers hard to connect. Daytime schedule also frustrates Taiwanese communities as they used to 'save one day,' as they say, on night-time departing flights (i.e. hop on the plane right after work; on the return, nighttime arrival allows them go back to work the very next morning).

CI's new schedule doesn't affect people like me (students who basically have nothing but time), but it must have lost some O&D pax and definitely transferring crowds (as CI don't even sell JFK-TPE-SEAsia tickets now).

So I think BR is very happy to take over this market rewarded by CI's walking away, and as for the EWR NJ crowds, they've been stuck in Evergreen Clubs for years anyway. Plus the time issue also apply to them.

I'm indeed hoping for SQ to jump into the TPE-NYC brawl, and I am still hopeful under the premise that SQ wants to exit FRA-JFK (if that's still true). SIN-JFK market itself is large enough to support the route already. SQ choosing TPE would just be the same as CI chose KIX. But then again, that has to be under the circumstance that SQ wants to leave FRA transatlantic market.

I'm personally curious how SQ EWR-SIN goes. I know there is a huge enough business-travel market between NYC and SE Asia, but I wonder why SQ chose EWR instead of JFK. Wouldn't it be good for SQ to stay in JFK solely as BR says, to reduce operating costs?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by UnrestrictedEntity
An email in my work inbox was quite explicit in saying that we will replace EWR with JFK. Why they're bothering to tell us at LHR is anyone's guess. LHR-JFK the long way 'round?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by LAX
This little tibit makes BR's decision to move to JFK more puzzling, especially with the rumor of SQ running nonstop JFK-TPE-JFK. While I understand SQ & BR appeal to different crowds (especially up front), why abandon an essentially monopoly & compete head-to-head with one of the best carriers in the air?

LAX
Maybe CO/UA will start TPE service from Newark, getting ready for EVA to join star? Delta doubled TPE seats for CI joining Sky, so maybe CO will do he same being a Star partner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.