Air China Carry-On Enforcement

Old May 31, 11, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (finally back)
Air China Carry-On Enforcement

I haven't flown Air China in awhile, but I have read that they aren't that strict in enforcing the 5KG/11LB weight limit on carry-on bags. Has anyone experienced similar?

We'll be flying Air China SFO-PEK, then various intra-China domestic flights then back PEK-SFO.
Old May 31, 11, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-question.html
Old May 31, 11, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did search and found that thread, but it dated from Sept. 2008. A lot can change in almost 3 years so I was hoping to get an update. If you want to merge go ahead.
Old May 31, 11, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie View Post
I did search and found that thread, but it dated from Sept. 2008. A lot can change in almost 3 years so I was hoping to get an update. If you want to merge go ahead.
I'm not one of those merger people, but the drill remains unchanged.
Old Jun 1, 11, 12:19 am

i took a flight from TPE to PVG last month.

carry on was not checked for weight, although ground staff was China Airlines handling flights for Air China... ymmv
Old Jun 1, 11, 6:33 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
In general, CA is quite relaxed about carry-on and you'll occasionally see some Chinese pax bringing aboard some huge bags. I've never seen any staff member gate-checking bags though. Not sure about ex-SFO though as I'm sure that ground handling is not done by actual CA staff.
Old Jun 1, 11, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Looks positive - crossing my fingers.
Old Jun 2, 11, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA-Silver, TK-Elite, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I just flew LAX-PEK-XIY-PVG/SHA-PEK-LAX and never once saw them enforce the carry-on policy. I flew with a group of 18 and many of us had 2 carry-on bags too.
Old Jun 3, 11, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Few tips on carry-on luggage for domestic China

I've flown LAX-PEK on CA and numerous domestic China travel through PVG/SHA/CKG/CAN/SZX/WXN on various airlines. One noteworthy advice I can share is that the airlines don't count anything that is strapped to you (e.g. backpack, messenger bag, etc.) as your carry-on piece.

My example:
1) Checked luggage: 20kg large luggage (I've gotten away with up to 23kg with no additional fees)
2) Carry-on: rolling garment bag
3) Carry-on: backpack
4) Carry-on: shopping bag
Old Jun 4, 11, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
Originally Posted by Henry82 View Post
I've flown LAX-PEK on CA and numerous domestic China travel through PVG/SHA/CKG/CAN/SZX/WXN on various airlines. One noteworthy advice I can share is that the airlines don't count anything that is strapped to you (e.g. backpack, messenger bag, etc.) as your carry-on piece.

My example:
1) Checked luggage: 20kg large luggage (I've gotten away with up to 23kg with no additional fees)
2) Carry-on: rolling garment bag
3) Carry-on: backpack
4) Carry-on: shopping bag
I travel all the time inside China. A few points:

- some of the planes have relatively small overheads - do not try to bring a Continental (e.g., widebody) carry on with you.
- if you are flying business class, they will leave you alone on carry on size.
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Finished traveling Air China domestic and international flights. No real enforcement of carry-on policies. If you have a reasonable rollaboard bag, I doubt there would be any issues. They certainly didn't care about weight. However, they did seem sticklers about the 20KG domestic check-in weight.

Absolutely no zone or row boarding. Basically first in line, first on board. I didn't even hear separate calls or see separate lines for First class domestically.
Old Jul 20, 11, 5:18 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Finished traveling Air China domestic and international flights. No real enforcement of carry-on policies. If you have a reasonable rollaboard bag, I doubt there would be any issues. They certainly didn't care about weight. However, they did seem sticklers about the 20KG domestic check-in weight.

Absolutely no zone or row boarding. Basically first in line, first on board. I didn't even hear separate calls or see separate lines for First class domestically.
Correct. domestically, it's one big cattle call. The pluses are that (a) Chinese can board a plane and get settled incredibly quickly. Full 737's loaded and ready to push back in 10 minutes. (b) Most Chinese don't fly with tons of carry-on stuff, so I've never seen a shortage of overhead bin space on a full domestic flight. There's always room for your stuff somewhere.
Old Jul 20, 11, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Correct. domestically, it's one big cattle call. The pluses are that (a) Chinese can board a plane and get settled incredibly quickly. Full 737's loaded and ready to push back in 10 minutes. (b) Most Chinese don't fly with tons of carry-on stuff, so I've never seen a shortage of overhead bin space on a full domestic flight. There's always room for your stuff somewhere.
I bet if US carriers reduced the onerous fees that they charge for carry ons that a similar situation would occur here in the USA; however, I do think that US travelers like to take on there 22" rollaboards as there only luggage.
Old Jul 21, 11, 11:14 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
I bet if US carriers reduced the onerous fees that they charge for carry ons that a similar situation would occur here in the USA; however, I do think that US travelers like to take on there 22" rollaboards as there only luggage.
I think you mean checked bags, not carry-ons.
If "similar situation" means freeing up overhead space on US flights, answer is "probably" it would help. If "similar situation" means loading a plane faster, answer is "not likely." Chinese in these transportation situations just move and get in their seats so much faster than North Americans, no matter how much or how little said N.A.'s are carrying on. I do not know why it takes filling an equivalent aircraft 3-4x longer in the USA than in China.
Old Jul 22, 11, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
I do not know why it takes filling an equivalent aircraft 3-4x longer in the USA than in China.
The same reason why some people in the US won't walk across a quiet intersection on a red light!

Search this Thread