Wiki Posts
Search

China Southern vs China Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
China Southern vs China Airlines

Anybody have experience with these 2 airlines' business class? Thinking of taking one of them in the not too distant future.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Give routing.
Old May 29, 2011, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking at SYD to YVR, so it'll either be through TPE with CI or CAN with CZ.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:01 pm

Hardware:

SYD-CAN is on 333, so I believe the pitch offered there for Business Class is more of a regional First with some recline. CAN-YVR is on 772, so it should be 70" pitch full recline. However, I believe CAN-YVR has not even started, so I doubt anyone can give you actual cabin experience. Connection is better from CAN if you time it well with CZ's 3 weekly service to Vancouver to avoid long duration of stay (like about 6 hours each way).

SYD-TPE is on 33A, the pitch is 61" and recline is 166 deg. TPE-YVR is on 343, the pitch is 60" and recline is 150 deg. While you are transiting in TPE, you will experience about 16-18 hours of layover (on both ways), so I am not sure if you want to do that? I suppose you can exit the airport and go for a day tour. If TPE-YVR is substituted with 744 when you are making a purchase, avoid.

Service wise CI is better than CZ.
PTV/AVOD selection CI is also better than CZ.
Food as well.
If past safety record is a concern, choose CZ.

Price might be a deciding factor.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
If TPE-YVR is substituted with 744 when you are making a purchase, avoid.
When does YVR get refurbished planes?
Old May 30, 2011, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
If past safety record is a concern, choose CZ.
It's somewhat disingenuous to award PRC airlines glowing safety records on the basis of the fact that there haven't been many incidents since CAAC was reorganized into the current system (with competing airlines).

I would also like to point out that CAN is an unpleasant place to connect, though I'm not liking the sound of "18 hours in TPE" so much either (unless there is an interest in stopping over).
Old May 30, 2011, 10:47 pm

I would pick CI over CZ anyday. I think CI trumps CZ in pretty much every aspect I can think of.
Old May 30, 2011, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

I would definitely prefer to stop over in TPE than CAN. Do they do day tours from the airport like they have at SIN?
Old May 31, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Originally Posted by doctorjosh
I would definitely prefer to stop over in TPE than CAN. Do they do day tours from the airport like they have at SIN?
Did SYD-TPE-YVR 3 years ago, over night stay in TPE, that was when CI52 departed SYD @ 12.55pm arrival into TPE @ 7.15ish, was offered Mirimar Golf Club hotel, very nice although when the coach arrived there from TPE the dining hall had shut doors for the night? (buy a snack at the airport if your still feeling peckish), morning was continental breakfast, and nice views of the golf club went for a walk, although was humid this was in June... TPE-YVR was CI 32 operated by a 744, 2pm departure arrival into YVR 10am. We had the oldest B 744 B-18201... Although the A33A ex SYD had been delivered 1 week back so it pretty much had the new a/c smell and was a pleasure to fly.

On the way back arrival into TPE around 5ish ex SFO, booked the transit hotel refreshed and then cleared immigration to book the day tour, 2 tours were offered to various locations I chose the one that took you into Downtown TPE, (TPE 101)... First come first served basis.. Taiwan Visa on arrival for Aus Citizens...

Let us know how you go, overall decent product ... flew CI 2 times after that to DEL..
Old May 31, 2011, 10:05 am

I personally would choose CI over CZ, but there are enough people on this board that values "safety record" so I might as well list them. This way I don't sound like a blind supporter of CI. Plus, CZ does offer lie-flat seats on one of the segment, it should be better than CI.

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
When does YVR get refurbished planes?
YVR is already using 343, so no refurbish planes. I don't think 744 will be reinstated here unless there's huge demand here and there (like substitutions for certain dates).

I believe there's still 1 day tour offered in the airport. Speak to CI and see if they can arrange anything, or you can speak to the people at TPE airport once you get out.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to http://www.go2taiwan.net/free_half_day_tour.php - the free 1/2 day tour is still offered. I just called and the lady confirmed it is still on (as of 2 June 2011).

Also, CI now owns its own hotel at the TPE airport so I would imagine any STPC would be at that hotel.

Last edited by username; Jun 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm
Old Jun 4, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
Originally Posted by SirJman
I would pick CI over CZ anyday. I think CI trumps CZ in pretty much every aspect I can think of.
I really like CZ and I like connecting in CAN. Look it is really about MU vs. CA vs. CZ and among these three CZ is my favourite (depends on the route though)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ghfatw
I really like CZ and I like connecting in CAN. Look it is really about MU vs. CA vs. CZ and among these three CZ is my favourite (depends on the route though)
Airports that are worse for connections than CAN:

-DEL
-BOM
-MNL

I am hard pressed to think of any others.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by moondog
-MNL
MNL's not that bad if you're staying in one terminal.

CAN is okay to connect in, but not if you're rushing!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF,UA,VA
Originally Posted by moondog
Airports that are worse for connections than CAN:

-DEL

I am hard pressed to think of any others.
Are you sure about DEL now? I think since the T3 has come up it's much easier to transit all International/Domestic carriers besides lcc are integrated in T3 and use T3, haven't had a chance to take a connecting flight, but just used it for arrival/departure and much smoother.
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.