Seat Selection on Malaysian Airlines

Old Mar 25, 11, 3:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 71
Seat Selection on Malaysian Airlines

Hello all,

I'm sort off puzzeled by Malaysian Airlines' policy on seat selection in advance. The airlines website is a contradictionary on this subject. I'm thinking of booking DPS-KUL with them for a flight in september. Will I be able to preselect my seat? The flight is operated by an Airbus A330, and I don't wanna be stuck in a middle somewhere in the back of the plane.

Regards,
Robert
Roberts1987 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 11, 5:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
Hi Robert,

From what i know at the time you book the tickets you can select seats however you will have pay for them depending on what fare class you book. For example flexible condition fares such as U,W,Y fare code on economy would get free seating selection but the restrictive fares such as K,M,H,Q,L,V,S fare code you would need to pay.

Hope it helps

Henry
henry.tan is offline  
Old Mar 27, 11, 1:07 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Posts: 71
Thank you for your reply, Henry!
Roberts1987 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 11, 4:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: RIX
Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, TK*G Elite+, HHonors Diamond, Club Carslon Silver, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold,
Posts: 1,059
Free seat reservation in C
dabee69 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 7:11 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sydney
Programs: Enrich, Qantas
Posts: 18
Hi, would this include the D class as well ?
Thanks
BacAi75 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 11, 2:19 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
Seat selection on business class fare codes D, C, J is free and First class A, P, F. Basically a charge for seat selection is applied to restrictive economy fares only.

Henry
henry.tan is offline  
Old Jan 28, 12, 2:58 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 109
Seat from Netherlands

Originally Posted by henry.tan View Post
Seat selection on business class fare codes D, C, J is free and First class A, P, F. Basically a charge for seat selection is applied to restrictive economy fares only.

Henry
Is it possible to make a seat selection for my flight Amsterdam - Kuala Lumpur in economy class. I know I have to pay a fee for this. Manage my booking is not working for flights from the Netherlands.

How can I reserve my seat??

Thanks!
Sebas21 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 12, 3:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Sebas21 View Post
Is it possible to make a seat selection for my flight Amsterdam - Kuala Lumpur in economy class. I know I have to pay a fee for this. Manage my booking is not working for flights from the Netherlands.

How can I reserve my seat??

Thanks!
As the rules has changed for their alignment into oneworld im not very sure about rules anymore. But a quick call to your local MAS office if they have one in Netherlands or a call to the Malaysia where they can help you.
henry.tan is offline  
Old Jan 28, 12, 4:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NL
Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Posts: 1,926
Originally Posted by Sebas21 View Post
Is it possible to make a seat selection for my flight Amsterdam - Kuala Lumpur in economy class. I know I have to pay a fee for this. Manage my booking is not working for flights from the Netherlands.

How can I reserve my seat??

Thanks!
You can use manage my booking als for flights from the Netherlands. I just checked for our flight, and I am able to change seats if I wanted. I fly on Malaysian metal, maybe it's different when you fly on the KLM-codeshare?
Brobbel is offline  
Old Jan 28, 12, 6:11 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by Brobbel View Post
You can use manage my booking als for flights from the Netherlands. I just checked for our flight, and I am able to change seats if I wanted. I fly on Malaysian metal, maybe it's different when you fly on the KLM-codeshare?
It does not work, I see only a white screen when I log in on manage my booking. On the site I found...

Manage My Booking is applicable for online bookings only.
Manage My Booking is valid for journeys starting from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Taiwan only. For example: Kuala Lumpur–London–Kuala Lumpur (applicable), London–Kuala Lumpur–London (not applicable)
If the original fare paid is not available, the booking may be subject to an upgrade fee to the subsequent fare level.
Any changes to your booking are subject to the fare rules and conditions of your original and replacement flight.
Name change and flight cancellation are not allowed. Please contact our call centre or ticketing offices if you have these requirements.


So, how can I make a seat reservation?
Sebas21 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 12, 10:27 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by Sebas21 View Post
It does not work, I see only a white screen when I log in on manage my booking. On the site I found...

Manage My Booking is applicable for online bookings only.
Manage My Booking is valid for journeys starting from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Taiwan only. For example: Kuala Lumpur–London–Kuala Lumpur (applicable), London–Kuala Lumpur–London (not applicable)
If the original fare paid is not available, the booking may be subject to an upgrade fee to the subsequent fare level.
Any changes to your booking are subject to the fare rules and conditions of your original and replacement flight.
Name change and flight cancellation are not allowed. Please contact our call centre or ticketing offices if you have these requirements.


So, how can I make a seat reservation?
I've always managed to manage my booking online. My itinerary is London-Kuala Lumpur-London. I've also as Brobbel mentioned change my seats. However, it is limited as I am unable to change my flight booking or upgrade the ticket online unlike if my starting destination is from Kuala Lumpur.
henry.tan is offline  
Old Jan 28, 12, 5:19 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 5,049
Originally Posted by Sebas21 View Post
It does not work, I see only a white screen when I log in on manage my booking. On the site I found...

Manage My Booking is applicable for online bookings only.
Manage My Booking is valid for journeys starting from Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Taiwan only. For example: Kuala Lumpur–London–Kuala Lumpur (applicable), London–Kuala Lumpur–London (not applicable)
If the original fare paid is not available, the booking may be subject to an upgrade fee to the subsequent fare level.
Any changes to your booking are subject to the fare rules and conditions of your original and replacement flight.
Name change and flight cancellation are not allowed. Please contact our call centre or ticketing offices if you have these requirements.


So, how can I make a seat reservation?
Just call the MH office in Amsterdam. You can then pay with a CC, I assume.

Code:
SERVICE DESK

Address
SERVICE DESK
Malaysia Airlines Customer Service Centre
Departure Hall, Terminal 3
Schiphol
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Business Hours
Mon – Sun & Public Holidays: 0900 – 1130 hrs

OFFICE

Address
OFFICE
Malaysia Airlines
World Trade Centre
Tower D / 9th. Floor
Schiphol Boulevard 155
1118 BG Schiphol
Amsterdam,The Netherlands

Business Hours
Mon – Fri: 0900 - 1700 hrs
Sat/Sun & Public Holidays: Closed

Fax
+ 31 20 5216 251

General
+ 31 20 5216 250
KLflyerRalph is online now  
Old Feb 4, 12, 2:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Posts: 615
Just ring them. It is much easier. Make sure you know where you want to sit and have alternatives if the seat you want is not available. Flight bookings originating from Australia don't have pre-flight seat selection, which means you can't even pay for it if you want to, so I just ring them up and get my seat selection (for free).
doctorjosh is offline  
Old Feb 8, 12, 11:30 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10
Seats

I am currently trying to book flights with Malaysian. They are saying that on domestic flights only can we pre-select a seat, for a fee. This is what the web site says too, but does anyone have a different experience?
Traveladdict69 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 12, 9:01 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Posts: 615
Originally Posted by Traveladdict69 View Post
I am currently trying to book flights with Malaysian. They are saying that on domestic flights only can we pre-select a seat, for a fee. This is what the web site says too, but does anyone have a different experience?
Pre-selection of seats on domestic flights can be done for a small fee. Seat selection on international flights will depend on your point of origin.
doctorjosh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: