FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   onward checking of baggage..same airline (AirAsia) different flights possible? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1178683-onward-checking-baggage-same-airline-airasia-different-flights-possible.html)

k374 Jan 31, 2011 2:27 am

onward checking of baggage..same airline (AirAsia) different flights possible?

I am planning to purchase 2 separate Air Asia tickets... DEL-BKK and then BKK-RGN. Flight 1 arrives in BKK at 5:15am and Flight 2 departs BKK for RGN at 7:20am. Air Asia does not allow me to buy a DEL-RGN single ticket with both the flight segments so I have to buy separate tickets and I do this because the sum of the fares is about half of a DEL-RGN on another airline.

Since the connection is rather short I would rather not waste time in BKK picking up my luggage, is there any way to request Air Asia to check my baggage to RGN on the different Air Asia ticket?

I have never done this thing before nor have heard about it being done hence this question :)

STBCypriot Feb 1, 2011 4:07 am

I have no specific experience with Air Asia, but do with other airlines. You should be able to present both tickets to the ticket agent when checking in and they will check your bags to your final destination.

Though I really don't understand why you couldn't book the entire trip on a single ticket.

k374 Feb 1, 2011 5:28 am

Thanks STBC, I found out that it is not possible with this airline. Air Asia is a point to point carrier and does not do through check in of baggage.

I didn't book all segments on a single ticket because Air Asia does not allow it, they don't do extended itineraries, only A to B, i.e. DEL-BKK, they cannot do DEL-RGN through BKK even though they fly BKK-RGN.

alanR Feb 1, 2011 8:29 am

Air Asia does allow through checking of luggage on some routes (eg Perth to Stansted via KL) but if you can't book the route as one ticket you won't get the luggage checked through

Ocn Vw 1K Feb 1, 2011 8:50 am

For further discussion, please follow the thread to the Other Asian airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

dsquared37 Feb 3, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot (Post 15777699)
I have no specific experience with Air Asia, but do with other airlines. You should be able to present both tickets to the ticket agent when checking in and they will check your bags to your final destination.

Though I really don't understand why you couldn't book the entire trip on a single ticket.

You don't understand because you have no experience with them.

AK, FD etc is a point to point operator. Segment by segment. No through check of bags. 1 flight check in at a time. Another poster mentioned through check for flight to Perth, but I'm not privy to any through-check in SE Asia.

OP will need to exit immigration, collect bags, go through customs and re-check-in on Level 4. If OP is traveling on an India passport they will also need to apply for a visa on arrival in BKK before they can do any of the above. Thus 125 minutes is not giving alot of time for any problems/hassles.

toyotaboy95 Feb 4, 2011 1:02 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 15798309)
You don't understand because you have no experience with them.

AK, FD etc is a point to point operator. Segment by segment. No through check of bags. 1 flight check in at a time. Another poster mentioned through check for flight to Perth, but I'm not privy to any through-check in SE Asia.

OP will need to exit immigration, collect bags, go through customs and re-check-in on Level 4. If OP is traveling on an India passport they will also need to apply for a visa on arrival in BKK before they can do any of the above. Thus 125 minutes is not giving alot of time for any problems/hassles.

I agree. Just note that the baggage check through example with the Perth flight is only limited to some routes of the long-haul affiliate of AirAsia (AirAsia X). The OP should also bear in mind that if he / she misses the onward flight, AirAsia holds no responsibility and he / she will have to buy a new ticket. That's one of the 'hidden costs' of flying with a point-to-point budget airline with connections.