Malaysia Airlines - Booking Ref & sector upgrade

Old Jan 15, 11, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Malaysia Airlines - Booking Ref & sector upgrade

My family have a return booking LHR-KUL-PER with Malaysia Airlines, booked through a travel agent in the UK. We have been given a 5 digit booking ref which we feel is wrong. The travel agent says we are not the first MAS customer to query this.
We have contacted MAS to check the booking ref and to enquire about the cost of a sector upgrade to business class. It is proving very difficult to get through to their customer services, and once we had, they were particularly unhelpful, saying all queries had to go via the travel agent.
Any advice on how to cut through this?
How can I establish the correct Booking Ref (PNR?) and what's the best way to enquire about the cost of a sector upgrade?
Thank you!
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:23 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
acithomas, welcome to FlyerTalk. As the best place for your thread is the Other Asian Airlines forum, where specific concerns of this carrier are discussed, I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 15, 11, 12:12 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF G
Five digist PNR's are correct with MH.
I would work with your traverl agent regarding sector upgrades.
Old Jan 15, 11, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
All MH flights booked directly with them is only a 5-digit PNR. When you book through a travel agent, you usually get a 6-digit PNR but sometimes 5. The PNR booked through a travel agent will definitely be different to the one generated by MH. What I've done in the past is ring MH directly and they've matched my travel agent's booking PNR with the PNR on their own system and they advised me to use the MH-generated one when making enquiries about that booking when I'm calling them. However, MH have a policy (as do other airlines) that when you've booked through a travel agent, any changes/requests have to go through that travel agent and not with MH directly.
Old Jan 18, 11, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

thanks for your advice - and for moving the thread to the right forum (sorry - blame a newbie)
My travel agent apparently isn't 'allowed' to sell me individual sector upgrades, only the whole return which I don't want (as it is way too expensive!). The travel agent refers me to MAS...who then refer me back again.
MAS have seen my post here, and have asked for me to DM them directly.
I'll let you know how I get on.
And thanks again for your help - excellent forum
Old Jan 18, 11, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by acithomas View Post
MAS have seen my post here, and have asked for me to DM them directly.
I'll let you know how I get on.
And thanks again for your help - excellent forum
They keep an eye on what's going on here?!
Good luck with it.
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
yep they do, the CEO personally replied to one of the posts before. very commendable
Old Jan 19, 11, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
yep they do, the CEO personally replied to one of the posts before. very commendable
I am impressed!
Old Jan 19, 11, 9:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-airlines.html

if you're interested doctorjosh this is the thread in question its an interesting read
Old Jan 20, 11, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-airlines.html

if you're interested doctorjosh this is the thread in question its an interesting read
Thanks for that. A most interesting read indeed!
Old Jan 26, 11, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
It is very illogical for you to upgrade just one sector, as it is always cheaper to do it long haul...

As a TA, I can tell you that your TA is not very good to begin with to ask you to ask MH knowing full well that MH will refer back to them.

There are special fares available if you would like to do MH from Australia to Europe. But it will eventually cost more if you split if half/half Business and Economy.

MH's Business class is very good. I was quite impressed with their service and food going to JNB a few years back.
Old Jan 26, 11, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
It is very illogical for you to upgrade just one sector, as it is always cheaper to do it long haul...

As a TA, I can tell you that your TA is not very good to begin with to ask you to ask MH knowing full well that MH will refer back to them.

There are special fares available if you would like to do MH from Australia to Europe. But it will eventually cost more if you split if half/half Business and Economy.

MH's Business class is very good. I was quite impressed with their service and food going to JNB a few years back.
MH is offering mixed economy/business fares from Australia to Europe for about AUD4600. You'll fly economy between Australia and KL and then business between KL and Europe.
Old Feb 1, 11, 5:39 am
kln

Programs: Qantas/Virgin/Singapore/MAS
i currently have an upgrade in for flying syd-kul in april.
they have confirmed the Y to J upgrade in I class, but when i look online at my booking it still says Y. i have encountered this before and have always had the upgrade to J. no problems. always a "5" PNR.
MH website useless. even today, with new website launched, still useless. click on tab to "manage my booking" and you just get a new screen up.;
check bookings via phone., i find phone operators all very helpful, despite what the web says/
Old Feb 1, 11, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by kln View Post
i currently have an upgrade in for flying syd-kul in april.
they have confirmed the Y to J upgrade in I class, but when i look online at my booking it still says Y. i have encountered this before and have always had the upgrade to J. no problems. always a "5" PNR.
MH website useless. even today, with new website launched, still useless. click on tab to "manage my booking" and you just get a new screen up.;
check bookings via phone., i find phone operators all very helpful, despite what the web says/
Yes, their IT department is terrible! The new website is still not fully functional and it's been about 24 hours already! I agree with their phone operators. They've always been very very good and very helpful. There's not much waiting if you're a premium passenger but sometimes the wait for an economy passenger can be a bit long...

Search this Thread