Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Srilankan :Do not lose Credit Card when you bought ticket on web.

Air Srilankan :Do not lose Credit Card when you bought ticket on web.

Old Jan 12, 11, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Angry Air Srilankan :Do not lose Credit Card when you bought ticket on web.

I lost my credit card used for the purchase of the ticket through web and could not present it at the check in. I was forced to buy new one, although my lost credit card was charged long time ago for the air fare (Colombo Male business return). Personally I did not understand this procedure at all. But I followed the request because I had to fly to Male with that flight.
At the same time I did my refund request on web.

Since then, 2 weeks I had heared nothing from Srilankan, so I contacted by e-mail and got the response as follows:
As per your request we will process your refund and your refund charge will be USD 50 per passenger.
E-commerce officer
unquote

I have never seen any fare conditions stipulating USD 50 refund charge.
The conditions stated LKR 2000 for the refund. so I told it to the office( RE: REFUND FEE - LKR 2000 FOR FULLY UNUTILIZED TKTS On the other hand your said USD 50 as refund charge. How comes this difference !??Re: SriLankan Online Refund Request)

But then again the response was
"Your refund charge will be USD 50 per passenger
E-commerce officer
E-commerce
Colombo"
unquote

I requested to show me the fare conditions on the basis of which the officer requested me to pay USD 50.

Then without any explanations the officer changed the response.
As per your request we will process your refund and you may check on same
with your issuing in in 7 working days
your refund charge will be LKR 2000 per passenger
Thank you
E-commerce officer
E-commerce
Colombo
unquote
According to my calculation, 7 working days already passed many days ago so I requested to report me what the officer did when.
But since then no reply was made from the officer.
I have not yet received the refund.

This airline has no discipline.

I sent also my inquires to some other e-mail address like
[email protected] <[email protected]>,<[email protected]> ;
[email protected] <[email protected]>.

But apparently it does not help.
When you compare Srilankan with other Indian Airlines like Kingfisher or Jetairways, the Indians are much better.

I want to say to Air Srilankan "Work Properly with discipline and Do not steal customers money and time in that way!
Old Jan 13, 11, 12:59 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by trustfriend View Post
I lost my credit card used for the purchase of the ticket through web and could not present it at the check in. I was forced to buy new one, although my lost credit card was charged long time ago for the air fare (Colombo Male business return). Personally I did not understand this procedure at all.
It's not unusual for an airline to request to see the credit card that was used to purchase the tickets at check-in and the main purpose of this is to prevent fraud. Many international airlines including CX, SQ etc. do the same.
Old Jan 13, 11, 6:21 am

Unfortunately

Unfortunately, many Asian airlines including China Airlines, Cathay Pacific, EVA Airways... all require you to show the credit card used to purchase the ticket. It is unfortunately, but Asian airlines seem to have lots of CC fraud issues and are very obsessive with enforcing the rules.

Of course UL could have handled this matter better! Maybe you can contact your CC company and see if they do something about it!

Carfield
Old Jan 13, 11, 11:51 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
EVA are a little flexible. They have told me off the record that if someone forgets they would "probably just get them to sign a form".

In my own case when I lost a card, they said I should get a letter from my CC company saying that they would honour the payment. I rang back later and said that this wasn't really feasible, but would a copy of the statement showing that the payment had gone through be OK. They said it would be and it was.

On occasion they've forgotten to ask.

It could be that they've been less concerned cos I'm a FF, though somehow I doubt it counts for much.
Old Jan 13, 11, 9:17 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Originally Posted by toyotaboy95 View Post
It's not unusual for an airline to request to see the credit card that was used to purchase the tickets at check-in and the main purpose of this is to prevent fraud. Many international airlines including CX, SQ etc. do the same.
Absolutely, just assume that if you buy a ticket directly over any Asian airline's website and use a credit card, that you will be asked to bring and show that exact credit card at check-in. TG does this, and OZ also. Usually, most airline websites will have a pop-up or some sort of terms of sale that explicitly state this.

Note that if you purchased with credit card through a travel agent, the requirement to show the credit card to the airline at check-in doesn't apply, as the airline will be transacting through the agent, with the TA shouldering the risk of cc fraud.
Old Jan 13, 11, 10:40 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
I don't really object to this. But it is annoying that airlines don't have a better system in place where you lose your card in advance of your flight and contact with them with a view to sorting it out. In the case of EVA I suggested that I would go to their office and pay again with a new card (or cash) and they could refund either later. They wouldn't do this, saying it was up to the check-in staff. If necessary I would have to buy a new ticket. I couldn't understand why they would have to issue a new ticket - they said it was because if they just allowed me to pay again for the old ticket and I wasn't who I said I was, then the "real" jimbo99 might turn up later demanding to fly. Seemed rather unlikely to me..
Old Jan 14, 11, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your all replies

If my refund request were processed smoothly, this kind of handling would be still acceptable as technical repurchase of the new ticket and technical refund of the first one.
(My credit card was charged for the first purchase 10 months ago and my PP no was in the system and I showed my PP ant the check-in gate. So actually there was no risk for Srilankan.)

But, in reality, even after 1 month, I have not yet received any refund (cancellation transaction of charge to my credit card for the first purchase) and to my repeated inquires, I get always just the same reply "As per your request we will process your re fund ". When can I get the refund ?
So this handling is something very different from other Asian airlines.
CX and SQ are much and much better in this point.
Old Jan 15, 11, 6:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Alaska 75K, Avianca, British Airways
This can also be a real issue when you buy a ticket for your spouse, kids, mistress online as you also need to have them carry a letter of authority with a copy of your credit card on it and signed by you.

I trust my kids but I am not sure about the other two
Old Jan 15, 11, 3:51 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /LH /DL /SQ /TG /AA /QF
Originally Posted by trustfriend View Post
If my refund request were processed smoothly, this kind of handling would be still acceptable as technical repurchase of the new ticket and technical refund of the first one.
(My credit card was charged for the first purchase 10 months ago and my PP no was in the system and I showed my PP ant the check-in gate. So actually there was no risk for Srilankan.)

But, in reality, even after 1 month, I have not yet received any refund (cancellation transaction of charge to my credit card for the first purchase) and to my repeated inquires, I get always just the same reply "As per your request we will process your re fund ". When can I get the refund ?
So this handling is something very different from other Asian airlines.
CX and SQ are much and much better in this point.
What about disputing the original ticket through the credit card company?
Old Jan 17, 11, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Angry I do not like Srilankan.

1) I got this mail. So I waited for the reference number.

Dear Mr. Trustfreind,

I write with further reference to the emails exchanged between you and my colleague with regard to the refund of your ticket purchased online.

We are awaiting for the bank reference number, which will be received by us latest tomorrow, to write to you quoting same, so that you could check with your Bank regarding the money credited back to your credit card.

For your kind information, we have processed your refund on 7 January '11 and the money would reach your Bank by mid next week.

On behalf of my colleague, I request you to please accept our sincere apologies for the delay and inconvenience caused to you in this regard.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Kind regards

xxxxxxx xxxxxx

Commercial Ex. (E-Commerce Operations)
Commercial Division
SriLankan Airlines Ltd.
Airline Centre
Bandaranaike International Airport
Katunayake
Sri Lanka

2)But in the next letter no reference number was given.

Dear Sir,

We are pleased to advise you that we have given you a full refund of your ticket (LKR 40,060/-) as a gesture of goodwill.

We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your kind understanding and patience in this regard.

Regards

xxxxx Pxxxxxx
Commercial Ex. (E-Commerce Operations)
Commercial Division
SriLankan Airlines Ltd.
Airline Centre
Bandaranaike International Airport
Katunayake
Sri Lanka

3)Since then, I repeatedly asked to provide me with the reference number with which I can contact my credit card company, but in vain.

I do not understand at all why the officer told a lie like that.
SriLankan is the worst company ( not only among Airlines) I know.
As a matter of course, I have not yet received any advice of refund to my credit card.
Old Jan 21, 11, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
What about non-rev tkts, that is award bookings, do these airlines require the credit card for these types of bookings, I mean after all the tickets are free.
Old Jan 24, 11, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
What about non-rev tkts, that is award bookings, do these airlines require the credit card for these types of bookings, I mean after all the tickets are free.
Sometimes. It depends on who issued them... usually on their own FFP, they require to see it for identification.. and the taxes that were charged to them.

Search this Thread