Air China is great...

Old Dec 29, 10, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One Pass Silver, UA Premier
Air China is great...

Wow, I live in the US, but have some family in China, so I usually visit at least once a year. I don't travel much domestically in China, but I went to Xiamen a few days ago, flying Air China and must say the service was exceptional. I was sitting in coach, too.

Service was swift, and takeoff and landing were so smooth. My ears did not need to be popped on the way down.

nice job air china!! I will def. fly with them next time I'm flying domestic.
Old Dec 30, 10, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While not completely contradictory, 4 minutes after starting this thread, you opined that the food was "sub sub par" in the CA biz class thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...s-jfk-pek.html

In regard to the topic at hand, I don't have any major beefs with CA, but wouldn't dream of using "great" in the same breath as "Air China". Also, if you fly them often enough, you're bound to have a really unpleasant experience at some point (i.e. 5+ hours hanging around an attractionless airport or on a plane).
Old Dec 30, 10, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I should've titled it "Air China is great...excluding food".

Moondog, it seems, like myself, that you are living somewhere in china right now? Am I correct in assuming this?
Old Dec 30, 10, 9:54 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Clue, I'm confused so let me get this straight--in one thread you posted you were happy with the service even when sitting in coach, but in a different thread you posted you were unhappy with the biz class food? Was this two different Air China flights or were you switchhitting in both cabins on the same flight? Anyway, it's nice you were pleased with your CA experience, but you may want to get some more data points (including how they deal with cancellations and IRROPS) before committing yourself to cheerleading too loudly for them.

Also, why in your original post are you living in the USA but visiting family in China, yet two posts and 8 hours later, you are asking Moondog if he is living in China like you?

Last edited by jiejie; Dec 30, 10 at 10:02 am
Old Dec 30, 10, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c1ue1ess88 View Post
I should've titled it "Air China is great...excluding food".

Moondog, it seems, like myself, that you are living somewhere in china right now? Am I correct in assuming this?
Yes, while I haven't gotten around of updating my profile yet, I can usually be found in Beijing when I'm not on the road (incidentally, I would love to be in Xiamen right now; it's brutally cold this week!).

Regarding CA, over the years, I've become quite skilled at self catering and poaching the best seats in Y (I never bother with seat assignments because the good ones aren't "assingable"), so it's a usually a tolerable experience.

But, like both jiejie and I intimated, I can assure you that if you had more data at your disposal (say 25 flights), your thread title would not contain the word, "great".
Old Dec 30, 10, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Clue, I'm confused so let me get this straight--in one thread you posted you were happy with the service even when sitting in coach, but in a different thread you posted you were unhappy with the biz class food? Was this two different Air China flights or were you switchhitting in both cabins on the same flight? Anyway, it's nice you were pleased with your CA experience, but you may want to get some more data points (including how they deal with cancellations and IRROPS) before committing yourself to cheerleading too loudly for them.

Also, why in your original post are you living in the USA but visiting family in China, yet two posts and 8 hours later, you are asking Moondog if he is living in China like you?
Come on big sis,

When I mentioned the sub sub par food I did not mention I was sitting in biz, I was in coach. And yes, I've probably only flown around 8 segments total CA. Granted the number is rather low, I've never even had a flight delayed, so I've never had to deal with cancellations and IRROPS. I'm only 22, and feel like big sis is bullying me, ;( j/k.

I do live in the US, but for the past 2+ weeks, I've been "living" in Beijing, since I'm on break. Perhaps I should've used staying. The only reason I asked moondog was that I had noticed many time his posts are from 3-7 a.m. CST, which is 5-9 p.m. here in Beijing.

And yes, it is very cold this week, especially after wearing t-shirts and shorts for three days in 68 degree xiamen weather.
Old Dec 31, 10, 2:31 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Originally Posted by c1ue1ess88 View Post
I'm only 22, and feel like big sis is bullying me,
Sorry you feel that way. I previously admitted my own confusion over your posts, which, with your additional information and a re-read, now make sense to me. I highly prize clarity in writing, especially on the internet where other cues to meaning or context are absent. Believe me, if I was setting out to "bully" you or anybody on an internet forum, it would be crystal clear beyond a doubt that I was doing so.
Old Jan 1, 11, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, UA-1K
Sorry, I HAD to jump in after seeing the words "Great" and "Air China" in the same sentence. They are NOT great thlough I will totally concede that if I was 22 and doing a lot of flying, kept my expectations low and wasn't annoyed by the flight crew more than thrice on a long-haul CA, I could see the word 'great' being bandied about.
Old Jan 1, 11, 12:47 pm

I have only flown with Air China within China, I have to agree that they are not "great", although they don't seem any worse than the US airlines to me.

I am not the OP's authorised spokesperson, but I have quite a number of times been asked (in English) by Chinese people where I am "living", when what they want to know is which hotel I am staying in. So perhaps the two posts are not inconsistent.

Edit - how quickly memory fades. I have flown internationally on Air China, from Europe to SE Asia, changing in Beijing. My opinion remains unchanged - not great, but not too horrible either.
Old Jan 2, 11, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
In regard to the topic at hand, I don't have any major beefs with CA, but wouldn't dream of using "great" in the same breath as "Air China". Also, if you fly them often enough, you're bound to have a really unpleasant experience at some point (i.e. 5+ hours hanging around an attractionless airport or on a plane).
Not that I have much of an opinion on Air China, but I think that above would apply to any airline
Old Jan 3, 11, 6:31 am

Programs: Eastern Miles (Silver), Miles & More, Flying Blue (Silver), Priority Club (Gold)
Actually, I much prefer waiting for hours in the airport to waiting for hours inside the aircraft… I had the "honour" to enjoy both a dozen times this year and it happened with CA, MU, FM and CZ. So it seems to be a Chinese problem rather than a CA problem.

Thankfully, after the Expo ended, it seemed to get a bit better.
Old Jan 3, 11, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by crenz View Post
Actually, I much prefer waiting for hours in the airport to waiting for hours inside the aircraft… I had the "honour" to enjoy both a dozen times this year and it happened with CA, MU, FM and CZ. So it seems to be a Chinese problem rather than a CA problem.

Thankfully, after the Expo ended, it seemed to get a bit better.
Rest assured you can enjoy being stuck on a plane with any airline, not just a Chinese one
Old Jan 3, 11, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tauphi View Post
Not that I have much of an opinion on Air China, but I think that above would apply to any airline
IME, delays on CA/MU/HU/CZ are much more frequent than on other airlines that I fly. But, more to the point, they tend to be much worse than necessary due to incompetence and a general indifference toward the customer.

Let's compare SHA-PEK to LGA-ORD for a minute. When your CA flight goes mx on the former, there's a good chance that you're going to be sitting around the airport for 5+ hours, in spite of the fact that 10+ flights will go out with empty seats during that span of time. Meanwhile, with the latter, it's relatively easy to get endorsed to the competing airline's flight on the spot (no trips out to the departures lobby, to then stand in multiple lines, fill out forms, etc).
Old Jan 4, 11, 5:28 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Ambassador
haha. i thought when i opened up this thread it would say that CA is great at delaying your flight only after you board the plane. because really, they're the best at it. so sneaky.
Old Jan 4, 11, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Plat
This thread is too funny. I do agree that Air China is usually mediocre but you can say that about the other bigger Chinese airlines. Unfortunately, they're the only Star Alliance Chinese left. My last flight with them last month was only delayed 3 hours...

Search this Thread