VN planning London 2011 launch

Old Dec 17, 10, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
VN planning London 2011 launch

Vietnam Airlines is currently in the works for a new route to London, organizing which airport to fly to. I guess they would use their 772ER's for the route, as they do with their European routes, but which airport might they fly to? As a member of ST, is it likely they might choose LHR? OK released some of their slots back to ST, following their withdraw from LHR.

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/en/poli...be-set-up.html

Current European Routes
SGN/HAN - CDG (J/V with AF)
SGN/HAN - FRA
SGN/HAN - DME
Old Dec 17, 10, 6:12 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Thanks very much.

I've heard this story so many times - I hope it really does happen this time.

Gatwick please!
Old Jan 17, 11, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

VN is pretty ambitious these days, looking for direct flights to London, here's the latest, VN is looking at both LHR & Gatwick, but could only get about 2 weekly flights out of LHR, alternatively they are awaiting new slots to open, flights are expected to open this year.

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/201...big-ambitions/
Old Jan 18, 11, 12:08 am

Thanks. With CI/VN in SkyTeam, and EVA forever messing around with Evergreen Club, I could be tempted to switch against a status match (or even not).
Old Apr 20, 11, 6:14 am
Original Poster

London here we come! VN looking at launching from both SGN & HAN to both LGW & LHR! Initially at x4 weekly being increased to x7 by 2014.

Vietnam Airlines To Open Direct Flight To London
LONDON, April 20 (Bernama) -- Vietnam Airlines on Tuesday announced that it plans to fly direct from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City to London by the end of this year, according to Vietnam news agency.

Pham Ngoc Minh, Vietnam Airlines' president said that England has become one of the most important trading partners in the European Union with Vietnam.

Last year, nearly 90,000 English tourists had come to Vietnam, an increase of 28 percent compared to 2009.

While, UK Trade and Investment Deputy Director in Asia Rob Lally said Vietnam had become a favourite destination for English tourists and businessmen.

The airline hopes that Vietnam will become a tourist hub for holidaymakers wishing to travel to Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia, he said.

Vietnam Airlines plans to use Boeing B777-200ER to fly from Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat to Heathrow and Gatwick airports. Four flights a week are initially scheduled, rising to seven by 2014.

About 40,000 Vietnamese are living and working in England and about 7,000 Vietnamese students are studying there, according to Minh.

-- BERNAMA
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5....php?id=580683
Old Apr 20, 11, 6:21 am

Gatwick! Yippee......
Old Apr 21, 11, 11:17 am

But Vietnam Airlines is using one of those slopey business class seats. it doesn't seem like a terribly comfortable way to fly from SGN to London
Old Apr 21, 11, 5:24 pm

Yeah, I've flown that 777 from SGN-CDG. But it is Vietnam Airlines, and it is early days. Nobody else is flying this route. Besides I might be in economy anyway.

EVA's FF programme is leaving a nasty taste in my mouth. More than happy to look at alternatives.
Old May 19, 11, 6:00 am

London Gatwick service scheduled to start from 08DEC11. (Schedule and availability loaded into GDS on 19MAY11. or 12MAY11 if I missed it)

2 weekly each HAN LGW and SGN LGW

http://airlineroute.net/2011/05/19/vn-lgw-w11/
Old May 19, 11, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99 View Post
Thanks very much.

I've heard this story so many times - I hope it really does happen this time.

Gatwick please!
Originally Posted by jiml1126 View Post
2 weekly each HAN LGW and SGN LGW

http://airlineroute.net/2011/05/19/vn-lgw-w11/
Thanks for this news!

VN should do very well. For many (me included), LGW is much more convenient and much nicer than LHR. Not many flights to Asia out of LGW. With an early arrival in Vietnam, they should pick up business from Brits headed for other parts of SE Asia too.
Old May 21, 11, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Looks like VN may in the future want to have a crack at the already competitive Kangaroo market, they need something to fill those LGW seats, next month both MEL-SGN & SYD-SGN go daily, hopefully the connection times are ok. They would make an attractive option for ST flyers, why doesn't AF or KL place any of their codes on VN's Australian flights? I know that KL has MH and AF has QF to feed their flights, but I would have thought AF would atleast jumped on a code-share comlimenting their direct CDG-SGN services.

Search this Thread