FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   KUL LCCT connection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1124077-kul-lcct-connection.html)

soy Sep 7, 2010 10:22 am

KUL LCCT connection

I have searched on the forum but there do not seem to be too many posts that fit my question. I understand that the LCCT was recently renovated so that may nullify some of the older posts about the LCCT.

Flying Air Asia (FD) from BKK-KUL 07:10 - 10.15
connecting on Air Asia (AK) KUL-LGK 12.00 - 13.00

This allows for a 1hr 45 min connection at KUL LCCT.

Factors considered;
Will have 1x large case for checked luggage.
Will be arriving from BKK so will need to clear passport control.
AK have 45 min check-in deadline.

I am assuming that BKK-KUL should be on-time as the flight is early in the morning. I am assuming that by using web-check-in, I will be able to go straight to bag drop for the KUL-LGK flight.

Do folk think that this is reasonable?
(The alternative is a 4hr layover)

kenyalang69 Sep 7, 2010 7:50 pm

Take the alternative 4 hour transit. 1 h 45m to connect is too close for comfort for a connection, although if there is no delay it should be easy. Only worry is if there is delay in incoming BKK flight

spc354 Sep 7, 2010 7:54 pm

It is much too tight. Specially with oversize luggage, it may not come out until later. You must also consider congestion at immigration and customs in both directions. Often, the need to X-ray bags after being picked off the conveyor backs up quite a bit.

kpc Sep 7, 2010 8:00 pm

As others have said, 1 hr 45 min is too short for comfort. A 4 hour layover will be a lot more comfortable and less stressful for you.

Ed Jay Sep 11, 2010 11:55 am

Kul LCCT Connexion

I think 1hr 45 mins is ample,.....if there are no delays between Bangkok KL. You can check bagage through all the way from Bangkok to Langkawi. Immigration at LCCT is a doddle unless you have an Israeli passport......... They won't let you in. X-rays are done at Bangkok. X-rays in KL are done behind the scene if your journey is onward within Malaysia. Only hand luggage is x-rayed as per usual for transit passangers. Beware, drugs carry the death panalty if over the limit. Go through green if you have nothing to declare. But, But, But, take heed as per below:-

To be on the safe side, go for the 4 hr layover, as suggested. The trouble is..... LCCT is very very basic.... a low cost terminal!

kpc Sep 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Jay (Post 14640109)
You can check bagage through all the way from Bangkok to Langkawi.

This is wrong information. From the Air Asia website:

AirAsia operates direct flights only. Onward flights are considered as separate journeys or sectors. Therefore, you will need to claim your baggage from your first sector flight and check them in again for the subsequent flights. You will have to go through immigration (if arriving from an international sector) and check-in again at the check-in counter to obtain your boarding pass.

Mabuk dan gila Sep 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Are you a gambler or are you conservative? I've personally done allot of AirAsia "connections" through LCCT in that amount of time or less. It is very doable. But I am also a big boy, understand the rules, and accept that if I get delayed coming in, it could cost ME time and money to rectify. I would take the 1:45 connection. If I were giving someone else advice I'd say take the 4 hour connection.

Ed Jay Sep 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Kul LCCt connexion

I stand corrected.

My note was based in an inquery for a flight from London to Penang a few months ago. The girl told me that as long as the outbound flight was on the same day and within Malaysia, throughput checkin was possible.

Your response prompted me to phone the London office. This time the answer was negative!!!!

AAgoraku Sep 13, 2010 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila (Post 14641178)
Are you a gambler or are you conservative? I've personally done allot of AirAsia "connections" through LCCT in that amount of time or less. It is very doable. But I am also a big boy, understand the rules, and accept that if I get delayed coming in, it could cost ME time and money to rectify. I would take the 1:45 connection. If I were giving someone else advice I'd say take the 4 hour connection.

+1

To the OP, I think you will be fine. Pay extra for a "hot" seat near the front of the plane or take one in the back when you check in on-line so you can be one of the first off. At LCCT they open the front and rear doors. Your bags should be off in plenty of time to make the 45 minute check-in deadline for KUL-LGK. If things start to look tight, leave baggage claim and go to the check-in and explain your situation.

Yes, if you do web-check in you can go straight to bag drop.

calvinoeh Sep 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I would not do it. 1:45 is tight... You will need to go through immigration, collect baggage and re-checkin for the LGK flight. Airasia is also very strict on the check-in closes at 45min before departure rule.

soy Sep 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the input - great thing about Flyertalk is the variety of opinion.

I am leaning towards the gamble of 1:45 for the following reasons;

1 - Arrive at 10:15am which seems to be a quiet time for LCCT Arrivals per flightstats website. (not big immigration queues)
2 - Flight out of BKK is at 7am, so less risk of delays compared to later flights.
3 - There are 2 of us, so 1 can wait at baggage claim, whilst the other grabs a space in the check-in queue.
4 - Even if things go wrong, there are lots more flights to LGK later in the day so should not be too much out of pocket ($200?)
5 - Do not want to spend anymore time than necessary at LCCT
6 - Means extra 1/2 day in LGK

Aborn Sep 15, 2010 7:56 am

KLCC Connection AirAsia

Ref Checked through baggage.

I picked up a friend at Stansted UK who came in from Perth Aussie via KL on AirAsia. Her luggage came straight through from Perth.

hardiwv Oct 12, 2010 11:19 am

What would be the minimum connection time for flights departing from different terminals and with different airlines at KUL, ie MAS to Air Asia?

Rgs,

perthite Oct 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aborn (Post 14661025)
Ref Checked through baggage.

I picked up a friend at Stansted UK who came in from Perth Aussie via KL on AirAsia. Her luggage came straight through from Perth.

Checked through baggage/transfers is offered by Air Asia X on the following city pairs:

Flight transfer available for these routes*
Chengdu Gold Coast
Chengdu Perth
Hangzhou Gold Coast
Melbourne Taipei
Perth London
Melbourne London
Mumbai Melbourne
Mumbai Perth

morewinenow Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm

<What would be the minimum connection time for flights departing from different terminals and with different airlines at KUL, ie MAS to Air Asia? >

MAS land at KLIA, Air Asia at LCCT, so its about a 15-20min bus/taxi over to the other terminal I would leave about 2 hours min. If I was doing it MAS to Air Asia.

But the other way, Air Asia to MAS well sometimes its how long is a piece of string. Luggage can take up to 1hr off the belt (but just today it took 40mins to get priority luggage at KLIA) immigration can be very slow, so more like three hours to have that cushion, and not have the stress. Of course thats assuming Air Asia have no delays coming in then your really sc*$£%d