Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re Sri Lankan Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:50 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I flew UL to Colombo last year out of SIN (A320) and found the aircraft to be rather new and well maintained...

I'll be flying UL again in 2 weeks, from SIN to Colombe then to Male. I think these accidents happen, unfortunate when you are on it or when there are casualties but look at the fresh news on SQ's A380 which had a cabin depressurization in the air and had to land in Baku...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
Any update on when Sri Lankan are joining One World
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
End of March has been mooted.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100
As I was checking into UL 316 in J class, I mentioned this window incident to a fellow passenger and dismissed it with the Mechanical Engineer's adage:
UL maintenance is MUCH better than the maintenance we have done on our automobiles IMHO.
I have my next UL trip paid and booked: basically DOH-KUL via CMB. All in Business class. Right now I am waiting for UL and MH to tell me if I can do a code-share between KUL and PER (outbound) and MEL-KUL inbound. Time will tell. Maybe UL will be a part of OneWorld by June and I will max my BAEC TPs and miles. If so, woo hoo and ^ If not, then BUT I will still have had decent flights and service
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

How will Mihin Lanka factor into this? I'd like to have CMB-CGK as an option.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Right now I have the UL ticket to from KUL, and have done the costing for a separate ticket with MH on the KUL-PER and MEL-KUL open jaw. Hoepfully doing thesetrips on one big code-share ticket (UL and MH) will be cheaper than the 2 separate tickets. BUT maybe not.

Funny that my costing is significantly cheaper than what ITA shows in spite of exactly the same flights on the same days - both for my pricing and for ITA's pricing.Here is a link and a quote from the NY Times illustrating this point that I am investigating ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/18/tr...acflights.html

"By dealing with multiple airlines on separate tickets, you do run a greater risk of missing connecting flights if there are any delays — and don’t expect the second airline to take responsibility if you do. But sometimes the savings outweigh the risk. “It’s one extra stop,” Ms. Breuer said of the cheaper flight, “but if you don’t have a lot of money, it’s worth doing.

No matter, I want Business class and good connections, and my research shows the price is right. UL and MH will provide both IMHO. But as always, this is just my own opinion However, it is also my money and my schedule

Last edited by tmac100; Feb 8, 2014 at 1:29 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: QF/VEL/A3/Skywards
I have flown with Sri Lankan from Colombo to Rome then LHR to Colombo and can't praise them enough, ok I flew with them in J but spoke to other pax who flew in Y and they gave VERY posative comments. For the price you will be paying you will get a very good product, good luck and enjoy.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
End of March has been mooted.
Now it is May (2014??)

I booked and paid a tkt in OCT 2013 (flying in APR 2014) because it was told they join OW BEGINNING 2014. Now my miles go into oblivion.

This will be my first and last trip with UL for reasons I am too lazy to list here.

Last edited by Fan2502; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I fly Sri Lankan early this year on Y. They could not give me a seat on J as it was completely full but gave me a full middle row in economy.
The service was very good. The only downside of UL has been the poor entertainment system. If they can get it sorted out they are a very good airline, especially the inflight service and passenger handling.
Their transfer counter at CMB used to give me nightmares but it looks like they have got their act together and sorted it out as the recent times, it has been flawless.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Fan2502
Now it is May (2014??)

I booked and paid a tkt in OCT 2013 (flying in APR 2014) because it was told they join OW BEGINNING 2014. Now my miles go into oblivion.

This will be my first and last trip with UL for reasons I am too lazy to list here.

UL wanted to join by then. But it was OW who decided that their join date be pushed back because there was too much going on with US and TAM joining that time too.

So stop flying with OW then.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:09 pm

I flew Sri Lankan from Sin to CMB last October. Flight was fine and I bid on and received an upgrade to business. Worth the additional $150.

HOWEVER, they destroyed my luggage--looked like a tractor ran over it. They agreed to compensate me $80. and on that promise I bought another piece of luggage in CMB. When I got back to Canada, they sent me a check for $80. but it BOUNCED!!! Been fighting them ever sense. Too bad....I think they had the makings of a good airline.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Dia, PC Plat, DL PM, SPG Gold
I see that award availability checks on UL's website is possible only if you have enough miles in your FlyS account.

Would anyone be able to check availability through other channels - I do have expertflyer subscription but it only shows Biz Class Upgrade availability.

Thanks

naroowal
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:21 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by naroowal
I see that award availability checks on UL's website is possible only if you have enough miles in your FlyS account.

Would anyone be able to check availability through other channels - I do have expertflyer subscription but it only shows Biz Class Upgrade availability.
What's the flight #/date?
Old May 1, 2014, 9:15 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
As of today it is not yet possible to enter oneworld FFP membership information to a UL booking via MMB on UL's website.

If and when anyone notices that this becomes possible, or sees that it can be done elsewhere (AY?) please be kind enough to post here. Thanks!
Old May 21, 2014, 10:19 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IMH
As of today it is not yet possible to enter oneworld FFP membership information to a UL booking via MMB on UL's website.
Update: as of today this is possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.