Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:39 am

Is such a seatmap reasonable?
Since seat selection opened at T-180 only row 62, 63 and 64 were available.

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I have no idea. Maybe most of the plane was booked out with tour groups and they loaded there clients in blocks? I am sure the plane will be very busy as Chinese New Year will finish soon.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:04 pm

The flight is in August and also if you make a booking simulation for flights in May, June, July or whatever you will always have such a blocked seatmap.

Update:
Just called back CI's branch office and a "new" agent told me that CI will open the whole seatmap 48h before (when olci opens) and even if I'm Skyteam Elite Plus I can't choose anything. I think this it's not only absurd but also contrary to the Skyteam rules as far they make a distinguish between their own programme's elite member and the alliance ones.
Could you help me in finding an email address? (not the branches' ones)

Last edited by Sciamano; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:17 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
In response to EVA Air's service enhancement, China Airlines will be introducing the following from April 1.

Accrual mileage changes:

Business
J 175% 2
C 150% 2
D 125% 1.75

Premium Economy
W/U 125% 1.5
A 115% 1.25
E 100% 1

Economy
Y/B/M 100% 1
K/V/T 80% 1
R/Q/H/N 50% 0.75
N HKG 50% 0.5

J/C/D/W/U/A increase
R/Q/H/N decrease

Status bonus

Gold 15%
Emerald 25%
Paragon 30%
tris06 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
In response to EVA Air's service enhancement, China Airlines will be introducing the following from April 1.

Accrual mileage changes:

Business
J 175% 2
C 150% 2
D 125% 1.75

Premium Economy
W/U 125% 1.5
A 115% 1.25
E 100% 1

Economy
Y/B/M 100% 1
K/V/T 80% 1
R/Q/H/N 50% 0.75
N HKG 50% 0.5

J/C/D/W/U/A increase
R/Q/H/N decrease

Status bonus

Gold 15%
Emerald 25%
Paragon 30%
Wow this is massive!
The 25% bonus points, I assume is earned only on CI flights and not Skyteam flights?

The decrease is very minimal. C and J business class was very minimal before only earning 125% and 130% previously.
Nice to see A now earns additional as well considering it is a more expensive ticket compared to E class.

Updated myself I noticed on the CI dynasty page ( *Incentive mileage is not applicable for code-shared flights and flights operated by other SkyTeam members, and will not be counted for membership upgrade and renewal. ).

Still this is a good thing considering we also have the renewal bonus points as well. Much better value the program is providing doing this.

Last edited by tris06; Mar 14, 2019 at 11:25 pm Reason: updated
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Even Better For The Most Precious – two upgrade awards for renewed Paragon members
Effective from April 1st , 2019, two cabin upgrade awards will be credited to Paragon members reaching renewal qualification on membership renewal date. Usage, validity and regulation are the same as Paragon members' Upgrade Welcome Offer and still transferrable to other members in nominee list. Your continuous patronage and support deserve our exclusive and better benefit.
So does this mean Paragons lose their 60,000 point renewal reward? How about Emerald renewal of 25,000 points?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tris06
So does this mean Paragons lose their 60,000 point renewal reward? How about Emerald renewal of 25,000 points?
In addition.

Wow this is massive!
The 25% bonus points, I assume is earned only on CI flights and not Skyteam flights?

The decrease is very minimal. C and J business class was very minimal before only earning 125% and 130% previously.
Nice to see A now earns additional as well considering it is a more expensive ticket compared to E class.

Updated myself I noticed on the CI dynasty page ( *Incentive mileage is not applicable for code-shared flights and flights operated by other SkyTeam members, and will not be counted for membership upgrade and renewal. ).

Still this is a good thing considering we also have the renewal bonus points as well. Much better value the program is providing doing this.
CI metal only, no codeshare no Skyteam.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

So 60,000 bonus points plus 2 upgrades (tranferrable) that does make Paragon more comparable to other decent programs around the world. Shame the lounges are still average. Also these changes make it easier to qualify for all levels. Even my son may qualify next year for emerald with these changes (he's 3 yrs old and it is the result of having grandparents in 2 countries far from each other). Shame I can't transfer those upgrades into my account.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
With BR's latest announcement by Chairman Steve Lin that they plan on doing MXP in 2020 using the current allocated slots (and rumored Italian exemption for two more slots), CI's MXP plans will have to seek Italian authority for what's left in the bilateral (if they approve FCO to MXP switch).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:22 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I think if BR gets additional exemptions then it would be fair to do the same for CI in Italy. I heard BR is also seeking slots for Germany (fly to Munich) which I think it is okay if that would mean CI can get the same number of slots for France. I don't think CI intended to swap FCO for MXP however they could do a x2-x3 MXP I think the original idea was. I hope the Taiwan government makes sure if there are restrictions still in Europe both carriers get their equal share. Our family intend to take the flight to FCO maybe 2 times this year so it would be interesting to see how busy the flight is.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think if BR gets additional exemptions then it would be fair to do the same for CI in Italy. I heard BR is also seeking slots for Germany (fly to Munich) which I think it is okay if that would mean CI can get the same number of slots for France. I don't think CI intended to swap FCO for MXP however they could do a x2-x3 MXP I think the original idea was. I hope the Taiwan government makes sure if there are restrictions still in Europe both carriers get their equal share. Our family intend to take the flight to FCO maybe 2 times this year so it would be interesting to see how busy the flight is.
BR is seeking an exemption directly with the Italians and Germans, not through the Taiwanese government. I fail to see how the German route, if allowed, would give CI any leverage to CDG rights. MXP as well, BR’s exemptions will not give CI any leverage to gaining their own. They can always go out and negotiate if they would like. The government is not going to say no to BR on grounds it’s not fair to CI (if that’s the case, the Italian bilateral needs to be split accordingly or maybe even more for BR considering who negotiated for it).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:43 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I doubt any special deal will be allowed for BR any agreement will need country to country agreements hence any rights will be split. I don't see there any need for more slots if BR is okay with its 2-3 weekly to MXP but if they want more then CI will need to be given extra as well. This works the same in Australia if 2 carriers want to run their routes to the same destination. I think one of the routes currently served by CI are slots negotiated by BR in the first place. The only way I can see BR getting slots and CI none is if CI shows no interest in getting slots. CI tried last year to get slots to fly to France and tried to get Airbus to arm twist their government but with no success.

This is how it is done. BR negotiates. Germany or Italy will issue slots to Taiwanese government as that is the procedure in most countries. The government will then pass on the slots to which ever carrier it decides.

I think Coolfish will know more than anyone so waiting to hear from him.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I think you are mixing up terms. Slots and frequency are two different things.

Slots are controlled by local airport authority due to traffic constrains and airlines have to negotiate with the airport to get one. Once the slots are awarded to airlines, it can commence service to that airport. The Taiwan Govt doesn't get involved in slots.That is purely a commercial transaction between airports and airlines.

Frequency are covered in bilateral agreements between nations. In theory, any new frequency granted will be granted to Taiwan, not any particular airline but I can't see the Taiwanese Govt tell BR (or CI) that it has to share the frequency it negotiated with its competitor. BR is negotiating on behalf of the Taiwan Govt to lift the frequency to Germany (supposedly per some media reports, unless they really mean BR is negotiating landing slots to MUC) and hayzel is correct that CI will have to ask the Italian Govt to lift frequency if it wants to add more flights.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bzcat
I think you are mixing up terms. Slots and frequency are two different things.

Slots are controlled by local airport authority due to traffic constrains and airlines have to negotiate with the airport to get one. Once the slots are awarded to airlines, it can commence service to that airport. The Taiwan Govt doesn't get involved in slots.That is purely a commercial transaction between airports and airlines.

Frequency are covered in bilateral agreements between nations. In theory, any new frequency granted will be granted to Taiwan, not any particular airline but I can't see the Taiwanese Govt tell BR (or CI) that it has to share the frequency it negotiated with its competitor. BR is negotiating on behalf of the Taiwan Govt to lift the frequency to Germany (supposedly per some media reports, unless they really mean BR is negotiating landing slots to MUC) and hayzel is correct that CI will have to ask the Italian Govt to lift frequency if it wants to add more flights.
Actually I think hazel also was mentioning that BR wants 2 extra frequencies to do MXP As well. So hence I don't believe any newly issued frequencies will solely go to 1 carrier. My bet is if BR gets extra frequencies to do MXP on top of what they have CI will get some too.

Anyway lets just see what happens. Nothing may be granted in the end as no German or Italian carrier flies to Taiwan.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Bilateral is between two countries (or regions however you want to call it), so the Taiwanese government is involved in allocating frequency.

Regardless who, whether BR or CI, negotiates a deal, if it's an additional frequency that goes on the bilateral, it is the government who allocates the frequency (but typically will give it to existing carrier). If one understands how the European bilateral were negotiated in the past, one would know the airline who negotiates the rights does not necessary become the airline that operates the frequency.

What BR currently seeking is exception to the bilateral from the Italian government, rather than revising it, so that's different than what's said above. Basically, BR wants to get the 2 additional flights by asking for a temporary operation rights. As long as the Italian government is okay with that (mainly Alitalia is okay), then BR will be able to operate the flight (in addition to the two weekly flights it said it has in hand).

If the rights were to turn into a regular bilateral in the future, then the government would be involved.

I am unsure what CI is doing on MXP, but I don't see them operating this flight unless they get enough planes. They are not introducing any planes, the only way to get new flights started would be to change ONT to a 77W flight and then use those 359 elsewhere. However, that also involves in BNE and MEL staying with 77W for off peak times in Australia. On the other hand, thanks to K Chang, BR is being very aggressive with new destinations due to the number of 789 and 78J it has purchased (they have no choice), so it's not a surprise that BR is trying to get all potential destinations to work (including Munich).

To be honest I don't know what CI management is doing. First Canada now Italy. Based on existing bilateral and the rules set by the Taiwanese government, CI actually has the rights to operate FCO first to full capacity of 7 weekly, but did not apply. Similar cases were for YVR when CI dumped the 2 weekly rights to BR (albeit it seems like BR isn't doing very well here with a 77W). If I were CI I would have operated a 2 weekly YYZ or YYC and not offer any rights to BR. Now the rights are split where both BR and CI gets 2 weekly in Italy, is it going to FCO or MXP? ...or free to BR?

MXP being a new route means BR can also apply, so BR is trying to start this one. However, 2 weekly is apparently not enough to BR, so it wants 2 additional flights. MUC I have a hard time finding BR will be successful there, so we will see. Maybe BCN/MAD first since there are rights.
tris06 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.