Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
CI management needs to step up and resist these demands.All airlines fly red eye flights. It is not exactly abnormal for your job to be at anytime of the day or evening. While it may cause short term issues CI should not budge with this demand. Get real staff living in your own fantasy. Just like the complaint maybe 1 week ago that the end of year bonus was not X4 times their salary like EVA gave its staff. Umm Eva Air staff get far lower pay and yet they happily did not mention that. Also their was a comment from some organisation maybe government department, that now CI was making a profit ( a long time they were break even or losing money) they should more generously give those profits to the staff. Again what kind of world these people are in? If CI was swimming in cash from a decade plus of healthy profits I think okay fair point to a certain extent. How about CI needing to save up some money for a rainy day.... or prep cash aside for future investments in new aircraft and etc. Also this company is listed on the Taiwan stock market, How sad for those shareholders (not fully owned by the government only partially) to see their investments not return any dividend for the past decade see staff get a generous increase in their salaries and other allowances and still complain that the airline does not dole out more profits to them instead of going to investors or allowing management more options to improve the long term services to passengers.

As you can see this pisses me off as I saw it all happen to Qantas in my home country about 9 years ago when people were demanding more from a company that could not handle demands on it. Thankfully management shut operations down completely and pushed the unions to be more reasonable. Since then no disputes causing strikes as the workers know management has some backbone.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tris06
CI management needs to step up and resist these demands.All airlines fly red eye flights. It is not exactly abnormal for your job to be at anytime of the day or evening. While it may cause short term issues CI should not budge with this demand. Get real staff living in your own fantasy. Just like the complaint maybe 1 week ago that the end of year bonus was not X4 times their salary like EVA gave its staff. Umm Eva Air staff get far lower pay and yet they happily did not mention that. Also their was a comment from some organisation maybe government department, that now CI was making a profit ( a long time they were break even or losing money) they should more generously give those profits to the staff. Again what kind of world these people are in? If CI was swimming in cash from a decade plus of healthy profits I think okay fair point to a certain extent. How about CI needing to save up some money for a rainy day.... or prep cash aside for future investments in new aircraft and etc. Also this company is listed on the Taiwan stock market, How sad for those shareholders (not fully owned by the government only partially) to see their investments not return any dividend for the past decade see staff get a generous increase in their salaries and other allowances and still complain that the airline does not dole out more profits to them instead of going to investors or allowing management more options to improve the long term services to passengers.

As you can see this pisses me off as I saw it all happen to Qantas in my home country about 9 years ago when people were demanding more from a company that could not handle demands on it. Thankfully management shut operations down completely and pushed the unions to be more reasonable. Since then no disputes causing strikes as the workers know management has some backbone.
Unfortunately, the union is taking advantage of the ~70% share of the government. With the supermajority and full board control, the small-time shareholders have no chance. CI mgmt. has also been extremely aggressive in anti-union tactics that have ruffled feathers and have only caused greater outrage (screams government bullying the commoners). BR is a private and reasonable company and will not fold to nonsense complaints. CI mgmt. cannot really grow a backbone because it will look like the government bullying the commoners again. Apparently, CI started to cut down the ground staff numbers and they feel overloaded with only 2 people working wide body ops. FA's feel disrespected, pilots feel mgmt. gave the moon to the FA's but they don't get anything, no one is happy. It's terrible.

The Ministry of Transportation and Communication (MOTC) Secretary was the one who came out and said the employees deserve better (they are buying votes here). Following the comment, a salary increase of 2% was made and increase in year-end bonus. No word on what the charge will be for this, though for year-end bonus, they are taking another 7% charge on their 2018 profits (IIRC original board plan had 20% allocated to employees).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
They can continue whatever they want. I have voted my wallet somewhere else and have avoided both CI and BR unless it's a short haul or a free ticket.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Coolfish I agree I think it is going in that direction. I hope not but suspect this is not going to go away. The government should just privatise the business allow them to float or sink. I started questioning about continuing to fly with CI a while now. We'll see how I feel after the next 2-3 long haul flights this year.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The fundamental issue is the extreme low wage and poor working conditions in Tawian compare to other OPEC/developed countries with similar GDP. It's just that the airline sector is one of the few in Taiwan that have independent unions so the employees can fight back. It's also a service industry so the jobs cannot be offshored to China, which was the basically the official industrial policy of Taiwan Govt for a very long time.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
The fundamental issue is the extreme low wage and poor working conditions in Tawian compare to other OPEC/developed countries with similar GDP. It's just that the airline sector is one of the few in Taiwan that have independent unions so the employees can fight back. It's also a service industry so the jobs cannot be offshored to China, which was the basically the official industrial policy of Taiwan Govt for a very long time.
First off, TW is not an oil producing country.

The airline industry workers are some of the most well-paid jobs on the market (albeit the ground handling is not as "sexy"). FA work can easily be farmed out to foreigners like Filipinos, Vietnamese, and Thais if they really need to (BR already kind of does this).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I mean OECD not OPEC... that was a bad typo.

And BR does have lots of Southeast Asian FA but that's because BR fliers a lot of passengers who doens't speak Mandarin or English. So it's out of necessity not cost. Deadheading FAs from BKK or SGN to TPE is not cheap nor is paying for hotel at TPE for foreign based crew. Those are not practical solutions for an airline hubbed in TPE.

The fact that airline employees are paid higher wage than other industry is exactly the problem I noted. Taiwan's prevailing wage is too low, which is one of the major economic problem facing the country. Young people in Taiwan often have to leave the country to find reasonable paying job. The only sectors in Taiwan paying wages competitive with other developed countries are the ones that have independent unions or have to compete with foreign firms (i.e. professional services like accounting or consulting firms)

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 28, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
I mean OECD not OPEC... that was a bad typo.

And BR does have lots of Southeast Asian FA but that's because BR fliers a lot of passengers who doens't speak Mandarin or English. So it's out of necessity not cost. Deadheading FAs from BKK or SGN to TPE is not cheap nor is paying for hotel at TPE for foreign based crew. Those are not practical solutions for an airline hubbed in TPE.

The fact that airline employees are paid higher wage than other industry is exactly the problem I noted. Taiwan's prevailing wage is too low, which is one of the major economic problem facing the country. Young people in Taiwan often have to leave the country to find reasonable paying job. The only sectors in Taiwan paying wages competitive with other developed countries are the ones that have independent unions or have to compete with foreign firms (i.e. professional services like accounting or consulting firms)
Southeast Asian FA's do not deadhead. They work flights from their home country and are housed in TPE company dorms. They work flights to every single destination, whereas Japan FA's only work Japan routes (because they are ex). They SEA FA's are very cheap compared to the local Taiwanese ones and they cannot have union representation (+ for Mgmt.).

Yes, Taiwan wage is low but you follow local pay scales unless you are hiring foreigners.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Seems from next month CI will change amenity kits. I think its the 4th change over the past 6 years.

Branded "The north face" which I suppose is meant to compete with BR as they have branded amenity kits.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/01/29/china-airlines-unveils-new-the-north-face-amenity-kits/
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Their wage is now low, but they will tell you the American FAs are paid much higher (discounting the fact these generally start from regional airlines where being in BR/CI does not have to).

Compare to the economy in Taiwan for the rest of the paid jobs in service industry, the airline employees (except those on the ground) are generously paid.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:14 pm

Seems from next month CI will change amenity kits. I think its the 4th change over the past 6 years.

Branded "The north face" which I suppose is meant to compete with BR as they have branded amenity kits.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-amenity-kits/
Sounds like they are just grasping at straws here.

BR keeps changing brands as well, except for Rimowa.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:10 pm

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-amenity-kits/
Damn, I like these kit bags. I wouldn't have expected them to do something like this given how underwhelming the T2 lounge renovations went and considering how they've cut back on a lot of service items over the past six years, but it's funky.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Damn, I like these kit bags. I wouldn't have expected them to do something like this given how underwhelming the T2 lounge renovations went and considering how they've cut back on a lot of service items over the past six years, but it's funky.
I'll get one on my return trip, but it looks poorly designed.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It feels like a weird brand to associate with too -- IMO it doesn't connote luxury or premium etc. or have any particular cachet -- is there some Taiwan connection with the company?

It looks like it might be useful to repurpose for holding stuff though, so I'd certainly take one
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Personally I think the current amenity is okay. I wouldn't say it is an improvement just different. I also miss the old days when using the old first class lounges. Coolfish can you tell me there was a favourite kind of dumpling I loved to eat in the lounge until 3-4 yrs ago they dumped it seemed everyone use to order it. It was like a very large dumpling which was partially see through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.