Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Thanks - the outbound flight is 747 operated do that's a bit of a draw.
Oh. Then totes worth. I'd do it.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bzcat
I'm assuming you are going to visit Taipei. It the city easy to visit? I would say yes. No visa requirements for UK citizens (for now since you are still in the EU) and you can now take the metro directly from the airport to city center.

Is it worth it? That depends. You only have maybe 6 or 7 hours in the city so you can't see that much. But it is long enough to get a rough idea. And your departure time means you are going to miss the night markets, which in my opinion is a must visit in Taipei. Only you can decide if spending 6 hours in a city is worth it.

Chinese airlines? Are you talking about HX? If you are that concern, just book on CX, CI, or BR.
Visa free entry has nothing to do with EU As UK has always been outside shenegen (sorry spelling) So anyone applying to go to UK Have to apply for a seperate UK visa even if you were granted an EU visa if You were Also visiting say France. No changes will occur before or after the offical exit period.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Did anyone try the STPC for long waits in Taoyuan? We have a 17hr wait from our flight arriving at 5am and our next flight going out at 11:30pm.

I rang the office where we booked it and they have already organised it however I noted they wanted us to pay for it. Because they only pay for passengers who
are flying business class (both ways). And yet while we did not buy 2 tickets return business class the 2 flights on the way back JFK-TPE-BNE (the flights we are going to have the STPC) are in business class.
Does anyone not think is an extremely tight policy to deny people coming off a business class flight and flying out on a business class flight that same day but cannot qualify because 1 way is only Premium Economy?

I am thinking to ring the hotline about this policy as well I think the membership which shows my loyalty to the airline should surely help to secure a 6 hr day use of the hotel room.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Oh. Then totes worth. I'd do it.
I've booked it. For some reason I can't select a seat on my return flight? The plane is showing as full on the return but outbound I was fine to select a seat.

Anybody have any ideas? Is it something simple like just waiting for more availability?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tris06
Visa free entry has nothing to do with EU As UK has always been outside shenegen (sorry spelling) So anyone applying to go to UK Have to apply for a seperate UK visa even if you were granted an EU visa if You were Also visiting say France. No changes will occur before or after the offical exit period.
Huh? The OP is asking about visiting Taiwan. He is not a Taiwanese trying to visit UK.

Taiwan grant UK citizens visa free entry because they are part of the EU. Not sure what will happen after Breixt.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Huh? The OP is asking about visiting Taiwan. He is not a Taiwanese trying to visit UK.

Taiwan grant UK citizens visa free entry because they are part of the EU. Not sure what will happen after Breixt.
Again incorrect. UK negoiates its own immigration policies speerately and on reciprical basis. Just like Australia and UK both Have reciprical agreement and nothing will change there. Lets Just say this. If for some reason UK did not get visa free entry then automatically Taiwanese would also need a visa . How can EU be involved when EU takes no responsibility for UK citizens. By the notice Australia, UK China is pushing for visa free entry? Well these countries won't allow it unless China offers visa free entry to its citizens. See a pattern?

After UK leaves EU I doubt we will Any changes. CI can kiss UK route goodbye if it ever happened.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:17 am

A question regarding Taipei Main Station City Check-in.

The CI website says the CI is open from 6am onwards and the only request is to do the CI at least 3 hours before your actual departure.

Ok, that might be a dumb question to ask here, but does that mean in the contex that I can do the CI early in the morning
(main reason is to get rid off my 2 luggage-trolleys) so being able to do some day sightseeing before taking the MTR to TaoYuan ?

Does China Airlines also have occupied service CI counters at the Main train-station (early in the morning) ?
Online CI and bag drop-off should be fine, but I am worried (little bit) as my trolley is a bit more than 70cm tall, so the machine
might not accept it.

Thanx for helpful replies

Also, is it worth to book a cheap modern capsule hotel just to have a lenghty and refreshing shower before going to the airport ?

Last edited by timpolti1; Apr 11, 2018 at 1:23 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:03 pm

This is what the CI website says:

Service scope
  1. In-Town Check-in service is available for passengers whether travel by Taoyuan Airport MRT Line or not.
  2. Only available for flights of the same day and with at least 3 hours prior to the departure time.
  3. The longest side of the checked baggage shall not exceed 70CM and the sum of length, width and height shall not exceed 158CM.
  4. For passengers in need of special assistance, such as children traveling alone, passengers who have purchased cabin seats for baggage, are on a stretcher or wheelchair, etc. or staff travel upon seat availability, please go to Taoyuan Airport to complete the check-in.
Seems pretty clear you can just check in early and drop off your bag do your sight seeing and get to the airport later.

Detailed video of the self-check in service at MRT station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRfT...ature=youtu.be
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:47 am

FAT selects 787-Max 8 to replace MD-80. Plans to lease 11 Max 8 to replace the existing 8 MD-80

Chinese: 2018/04/16 ?????? ??????737 MAX - ??????

English: Far Eastern Air Transport to introduce Boeing 737 MAX8 to fleet | Economics | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
FAT selects 787-Max 8 to replace MD-80. Plans to lease 11 Max 8 to replace the existing 8 MD-80

Chinese: 2018/04/16 ?????? ??????737 MAX - ??????

English: Far Eastern Air Transport to introduce Boeing 737 MAX8 to fleet Economics FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS
737MAX-8***

They previously selected 737-8NG from another lessor but got into a dispute with them so they never got them. Not surprised with the type of aircraft but surprised at the # of planes they chose. .
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
This is what the CI website says:

Service scope
  1. In-Town Check-in service is available for passengers whether travel by Taoyuan Airport MRT Line or not.
  2. Only available for flights of the same day and with at least 3 hours prior to the departure time.
  3. The longest side of the checked baggage shall not exceed 70CM and the sum of length, width and height shall not exceed 158CM.
  4. For passengers in need of special assistance, such as children traveling alone, passengers who have purchased cabin seats for baggage, are on a stretcher or wheelchair, etc. or staff travel upon seat availability, please go to Taoyuan Airport to complete the check-in.
Seems pretty clear you can just check in early and drop off your bag do your sight seeing and get to the airport later.

Detailed video of the self-check in service at MRT station

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTRfT...ature=youtu.be
I got SSSS'd and wasn't able to check my bag at the MRT station.. YMMV I was on a 1 way award ticket and I guess they didn't like that. No SSSS on my US legs or any other legs on that trip.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I got SSSS'd and wasn't able to check my bag at the MRT station.. YMMV I was on a 1 way award ticket and I guess they didn't like that. No SSSS on my US legs or any other legs on that trip.
Was your award ticket issued from which airline to fly on which airline? I assume you mean you were flying BR (Eva airlines)? Did it have a code share numbered ticket on it?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tris06
Was your award ticket issued from which airline to fly on which airline? I assume you mean you were flying BR (Eva airlines)? Did it have a code share numbered ticket on it?
You would think award tickets are always by the operating carrier, right?

A friend of mine checked her bags at the In-City Check-In for BR. She has things in there that did not look right at the X-Ray (and there is no "make sure your bag goes through" process like the airport does). So, they did not even send it to the airport. BR told her when she boarded and she got her bag a few days later.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by username
You would think award tickets are always by the operating carrier, right?

A friend of mine checked her bags at the In-City Check-In for BR. She has things in there that did not look right at the X-Ray (and there is no "make sure your bag goes through" process like the airport does). So, they did not even send it to the airport. BR told her when she boarded and she got her bag a few days later.
Well I am thinking what if it was say a united airline issued ticket flying on an Alliance carrier.The whole system is automated so there is bound to be some odd tickets that have some strange ticket numbers or etc.

" I got SSSS'd and wasn't able to check my bag at the MRT station.. YMMV I was on a 1 way award ticket and I guess they didn't like that. No SSSS on my US legs or any other legs on that trip. "

It could even be they were flying on an airline that was not checking in baggage at the Taipei Train Station and was angry. His post gives us little information about what happened. I don't want to insult the guy/girl, but some people do make mistakes without really reading all the information. I bet you quite a few people did this in the last year and maybe had plans for the day without baggage and so get angry they checked out of the hotel or etc and now need to lug bags around all day. A little more information would make it more clear about what really happened instead of just "I'm angry!".
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
From 2018/07/01,

1. Bonus miles for successful renewing Emerald will raise from 9,000 to 25,000 and 15,000 to 60,000 for Paragon. Still not much, but better than nothing.
2. N class will accrue 0.5 sectors rather than 1 sector for TPE-HKG.
3. Renewing status will also require 6 AE/CI sectors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.