Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
May I suggest that you post the pro and opposition side of the news that indicates the side of the FA or Union and CI management? It would give a more clearer picture for those to read.

The FA's should have gone on another strike last week when Tsai Ing Wen was on the trip to Hawaii. Not sure many will support them though.

I am with tris06, they are pushing this too far. If the job requires one to not wear a plastic wrap when serving meals, then you don't wear it. BR, JL, NH and many other airline staff don't wear it, it's not industry standard. One having an allergy does not mean the company must cater to you and make everyone wear plastic wraps, the company has other options.

It's not like CI use to wear plastic wrap when serving meals and then just decided not to do it recently. They never used plastic wrap in the past for serving meals and probably only tried out wearing the plastic wrap for couple weeks for him before reversing the decision. Do note that CI does allow the use of plastic wraps for other duties such as cleaning the toilet.

I am certain this FA can arrange with his companions and be the one who stays in the galley and not do cart services. However, he wanted to make a big deal out of it and instead CI changes his job due to inability to serve duty. Then he is angry cause he no longer gets the flying stipend and everything cause he is now a ground staff.
Management has no comment.

What is ironic is that this Mr. Pan is now on the CAEU leadership. Surprising....

I agree that the union is pushing this too far. The public is already growing tired of them, especially after an effective smear campaign that BR had on the FAs during the last typhoon.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The news about FAT is extremely worrisome. Are they really skipping on maintenance?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
The news about FAT is extremely worrisome. Are they really skipping on maintenance?
They have supply issues. They don't even have enough engines for their MD-80 fleet. Regarding the cabin, I don't know whether or not they have serious safety issues, though they have been cited multiple times for mx issues.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:45 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Way to pop a bubble coolish... I wouldn't be surprised if it went that way. Though it will be surely bigger than before as it couldn't hold the numbers recently.

When will the D4 lounge close?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
Way to pop a bubble coolish... I wouldn't be surprised if it went that way. Though it will be surely bigger than before as it couldn't hold the numbers recently.

When will the D4 lounge close?
I thought it already closed? Coolfish posted on Oct 26 that it was closing effective immediately.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:56 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I think you are giving yourself a false hope cause everything has been downgrades, whether it's outsource or complete removal.

The lounge at D4 is currently still open, but I am certain that there will be chaos when that closes.
That is what he said yesterday.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
I thought it already closed? Coolfish posted on Oct 26 that it was closing effective immediately.
That was an announcement from credit card statement but phone call to CI says it's not closed till there is an official announcement. That's why I said in the original thread that it's apparently still open as of now.

I think it depends on when is the contract between CI T2 D4 lounge is over with China Pacific and we will see then if it closes. Technically this will be hard pressed cause many Paragons and Emeralds are not happy with Kaohsiung Kitchen's offering and services.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:30 am

I read the revised and new, more detailled information-explanation on the CI website,
but I still have 2 questions, so I really hope someone here can clarify, thank you ...

If I collect 30.000 miles, my status will be immediate changed to "gold" and from then onwards I have 2 years time to do another 40.000 miles to keep that golden status.
So far so good ...
CI says however that milage is not enough, you have to do 6 "qualified weighted-trips" ... and here the confusion sets in

6 qualified weighted-trips within 24 months or in each year (12+12 months), meaning you have to reach "12" ?
And ...
Could someone please explain what the hell a "qualified weighted-trip (QWT)" exactely means ???
6 international one-way flights
6 international return flights
What about Europe to Australia, does 1 boarding pass counts as 'QWT" ?
Thus Europe to NZ via TPE and BNE up to 6 QWT ?

Thank you very much, bye Timo
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:07 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by timpolti1
I read the revised and new, more detailled information-explanation on the CI website,
but I still have 2 questions, so I really hope someone here can clarify, thank you ...

If I collect 30.000 miles, my status will be immediate changed to "gold" and from then onwards I have 2 years time to do another 40.000 miles to keep that golden status.
So far so good ...
CI says however that milage is not enough, you have to do 6 "qualified weighted-trips" ... and here the confusion sets in

6 qualified weighted-trips within 24 months or in each year (12+12 months), meaning you have to reach "12" ?
And ...
Could someone please explain what the hell a "qualified weighted-trip (QWT)" exactely means ???
6 international one-way flights
6 international return flights
What about Europe to Australia, does 1 boarding pass counts as 'QWT" ?
Thus Europe to NZ via TPE and BNE up to 6 QWT ?

Thank you very much, bye Timo

These 6 qualified flights is within 24months. Also they have to be with CI and not another Skyteam Carrier. This starts from the 1st of December 2017.
Also note once you have reached gold status your status mileage resets back to 0 so if you want to upgrade to emerald status you will need to achieve another 50,000 miles (within a 12month period after achieving gold level) to move up.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:48 am

Thank you.
Gold Status is enough for me as Emerald really dont bring that much advantages (additional 10Kg plus better lounge plus other minor things).

However the question remains, what a qualified weighted trip actually means ...
Why do they even use such a term ?
I know what a flight~segment is. Are those things the same ?

With Gold status I only wanna fly Europe to Sydney once per year (thus 2 times within 24 months).
Milage would be little over 40k in Premium~Economy (miles counts 100% so ok), but I am kind of worried I might only have 4 qualified weighted trips.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
However the question remains, what a qualified weighted trip actually means ...
Why do they even use such a term ?
I know what a flight~segment is. Are those things the same ?
It's defined right beneath the requirements on the membership tiers web page.

https://www.china-airlines.com/us/en...member-classes

For example for Gold:

3. Take a total of 20 or more qualified weighted trips in Economy Class / Business Class / First Class on China Airlines, Mandarin Airlines and SkyTeam partner airlines.
Calculation of weighted trips on China Airlines and Mandarin Airlines: Each Premium Economy Class / Economy Class (booking class: W/U/E/Y/B/M/K/V/T/R/Q/H/N) is counted as 1 weighted trip and each Business Class (booking class: J/C/D*) is counted as 1.5 weighted trips.
So it seems that what it boils down to is just that biz counts as 1.5.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:57 am

I saw that, but (sorry), I still dont understand.

Does a QWT refer to a single Boarding Pass ?
Does it refer to a CI flight number ?
Does it refer to a complete flight (return-flight) booking ?

Eg
Vienna Taipei
Taipei Sydney
Sydney Taipei
Taipei Vienna
1 / 2 / 4 QWT ???

Frankfurt Taipei
Taipei Brisbane
Brisbane Auckland (same flight Number)
+ Return to Frankfurt
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 6 QWT ???

I am sorry to bother the experts here (clearly I am a beginner) ....
Maybe it is language problem as English is not my mother tongue.
But I still find the explanation CI providing here very confusing. Especially they are trying to explain the details on their Homepage.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:58 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Eg
Vienna Taipei
Taipei Sydney
Sydney Taipei
Taipei Vienna
1 / 2 / 4 QWT ???

Frankfurt Taipei
Taipei Brisbane
+ Return to Frankfurt

But I still find the explanation CI providing here very confusing. Especially they are trying to explain the details on their Homepage.

If you are flying between Australia and Europe 1 time per year that will count as 4 Qualified flights each time.
The only time 2 flights may only count as 1 qualified flight is if it uses the same flight number.

So if you fly 2 times between Australia and Europe in 24months you will satisfy this.
By the way remember also Emerald also brings with it lounge access for any sky team carrier flights plus 1 additional guest (thats sky team or CI flight).
Yes there is little benefit if you always fly alone but with a partner it is handy.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

Eg
Vienna Taipei
Taipei Sydney
Sydney Taipei
Taipei Vienna
1 / 2 / 4 QWT ???

Frankfurt Taipei
Taipei Brisbane
+ Return to Frankfurt

For paid Economy fares, TPE-BNE-AKL not stopping at BNE will count as one sector. TPE-BNE and stopping at BNE-AKL will count as two.

4 in paid economy, 6 in paid business
FRA-TPE
TPE-BNE-AKL
AKL-BNE-TPE
TPE-FRA

6 in paid economy, 9 in paid business
FRA-TPE
TPE-BNE
BNE-AKL
AKL-BNE
BNE-TPE
TPE-FRA
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Just out of interest CI has just accepted 2 A350's in November which now brings the total number of A350's delivered at 10. One would expect more announcements about upgrading routes to the A350 soon for 2018 now LGW and SYD is covered. Some small increases in European weekly flights have been announced for 2018 as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.