Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by tris06
Personally I think the current amenity is okay. I wouldn't say it is an improvement just different. I also miss the old days when using the old first class lounges. Coolfish can you tell me there was a favourite kind of dumpling I loved to eat in the lounge until 3-4 yrs ago they dumped it seemed everyone use to order it. It was like a very large dumpling which was partially see through.
I am suspecting Spicy wontons?

紅油抄手

They removed lots of things, I am not sure if this is what you are talking about. The lounge has degraded to the point having Gold is enough.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:57 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Actually did some searching and found the old menu from 6 years ago (Feb 2013).

I think it was Taiwanese meatballs. With a bit of spicy sauce on the side was really nice.

Just the food now is well average and actually in T1 I think you have more options in the business lounge.

Anyway still this Saturday morning I will wish I was in a CI lounge as will be again using the CZ domestic members lounge out of Shenzhen on Saturday morning.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It sounds like a jet plane just landed (about 12:20 AM on 2/2/2019) at Taipei Song Shan TSA/RCSS. It is past curfew time and not on Flightaware or the Flight Status for the airport. Anyone can find out what it was?

Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Probably a military flight. Taiwan Airforce operates ferry flights from TSA to Kinmen for military families to join service members stationed at Kinmen during Lunar New Year. What you heard may be a positioning flight to TSA for early morning departure to Kinmen (or a returning flight from Kinmen). Military flights are not subject to curfew at TSA.

???????? ????214???? - ?? - ???????
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems like a plausible explanation but it sounded like a jet, not the propeller...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Strike preparations have begun. IF a strike occurs, 900/1300 pilots will walk off the job and the effects will be worse than the flight attendant strike (you can have less cabin crew but not less flight crew). The ~400 are expats that cannot join a union and most are only FOs.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Their wage is now low, but they will tell you the American FAs are paid much higher (discounting the fact these generally start from regional airlines where being in BR/CI does not have to).

Compare to the economy in Taiwan for the rest of the paid jobs in service industry, the airline employees (except those on the ground) are generously paid.
I think the demands issued by the pilot union are definately over the top.

Asking the airline to halt hiring foreign pilots and only hire Taiwan is a big backward step. You can see why the union is asking this so they can be more powerful in the long term and continue to hold the rope around CI's neck.
Many airlines around the world have a very diverse number of expat pilots. Union needs to face the fact that this is the world market and people don't have to fly CI to get where they want to go.

However giving pilots more say on whether to fly or not during extreme weather events seems reasonable. But do note recently as the past 2 years BR has often been flying out in extreme weather when CI had cancelled its flights so I am not so sure.

Finally consumers are paying more for these rises. The airline should remind consumers to gain sympathy that CI has been a loss making business for many years and giving into union demands like this is actually taking money out peoples pockets.

Still think CI should just close the business down if the union declare a strike until the otherside backs down.

I am all for giving people more money for doing a good job in an ideal world but it is not and one has to be realistic.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

It's easier to just vote your wallet elsewhere. Don't have to worry about this.

The pilots have announced a formal strike (finally) starting at 6a reporting time for planes leaving from TPE, KHH and TSA on 2/8. One should expect flights from 8a and on to be cancelled. If you are flying to a destination where there is another airline serving, you should try to get to the airport early and see if you can get your seat switched to another airline.

If the intended 1200 pilots all join the strike, then we should expect the strike to continue for couple days (depending on whether DPP caves in or not). If not enough pilots strike, then it's likely most flights will continue to operate and some flights will be cancelled where the pax get transferred.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Here's a link with all the flights cancelled due to the strike.

https://calec.china-airlines.com/typ...MATION_en.aspx
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Link has typhoon in it is kind of funny.

It seems the strike is not as big as the pilots wanted to be, as of now only ~100 or so pilots joined.

The amount of flight cancelled are not significant either, maybe more will come? Some of them are chartered flights too.

Scheduled flights:
2/8
CI 934 Hong Kong-Kaohsiung
CI 712 Kaohsiung-Manila
CI 915 Taipei-Hong Kong / CI 916 Hong Kong-Taipei
CI 192 Tainan-Osaka
CI 177 Osaka-Kaohsiung
CI 106 Taipei-Tokyo / CI 107 Tokyo-Taipei (2/9)
CI 112 Taipei-Hiroshima / CI 113 Hiroshima-Taipei (2/9)
CI 024 Taipei-Ontario / CI 023 Ontario-Taipei
CI 921 Taipei-Hong Kong / CI 922 Hong Kong-Taipei (2/9)
CI 837 Taipei-Bangkok / CI 838 Bangkok-Taipei (2/9)

CNY Charter:
2/9
CI 2509 Taipei-Wuxi
CI 2503 Taipei-Pudong
CI 3517 Taipei-Beijing
CI 2527 Taipei-Shenzhen
2/10
CI 2549 Taipei-Xuzhou
CI 2541 Taipei-Wuhan
CI 3505 Taipei-Pudong
CI 2517 Taipei-Beijing
2/11
CI 3521 Taipei-Guangzhou
CI 2509 Taipei-Wuxi
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:35 pm

I agree since in a way a typhoon hit them.

Let's see if any more long haul flights are affected by this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:46 pm

It seems the strike is not as big as the pilots wanted to be, as of now only ~100 or so pilots joined.

The amount of flight cancelled are not significant either, maybe more will come? Some of them are chartered flights too.

Scheduled flights:
2/8
CI 934 Hong Kong-Kaohsiung
CI 712 Kaohsiung-Manila
CI 915 Taipei-Hong Kong / CI 916 Hong Kong-Taipei
CI 192 Tainan-Osaka
CI 177 Osaka-Kaohsiung
CI 106 Taipei-Tokyo / CI 107 Tokyo-Taipei (2/9)
CI 112 Taipei-Hiroshima / CI 113 Hiroshima-Taipei (2/9)
CI 024 Taipei-Ontario / CI 023 Ontario-Taipei
CI 921 Taipei-Hong Kong / CI 922 Hong Kong-Taipei (2/9)
CI 837 Taipei-Bangkok / CI 838 Bangkok-Taipei (2/9)

CNY Charter:
2/9
CI 2509 Taipei-Wuxi
CI 2503 Taipei-Pudong
CI 3517 Taipei-Beijing
CI 2527 Taipei-Shenzhen
2/10
CI 2549 Taipei-Xuzhou
CI 2541 Taipei-Wuhan
CI 3505 Taipei-Pudong
CI 2517 Taipei-Beijing
2/11
CI 3521 Taipei-Guangzhou
CI 2509 Taipei-Wuxi
The first bank (6-8am) is now almost back in TPE. We should see whether or not the strike will be in full force after they land. If it is, those planes won’t be able to make the 2nd trip of the day since they’ll have no pilots.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773

The first bank (6-8am) is now almost back in TPE. We should see whether or not the strike will be in full force after they land. If it is, those planes won’t be able to make the 2nd trip of the day since they’ll have no pilots.
I'm wondering about CI 7...will the pilots do the fly back TPE or follow suit with the pilots from CI 23 since that flight is cancelled.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by 26volt
I'm wondering about CI 7...will the pilots do the fly back TPE or follow suit with the pilots from CI 23 since that flight is cancelled.
CI23 pilots cannot operate CI7. CI23 pilots are A350-rated, not 777-rated. CI23 pilots and crew will most likely be held in ONT so that they can operate the return should flights start again tomorrow. More than a day, they'll be sent home via LAX.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:37 pm

Pilots are reporting that CI has been bringing in cadet pilots that did not meet rest rules to operate CI flights in the morning in order to present a "failed strike" image. Concerns have been raised to the CAA, as cadet pilots cannot operate without a check airman in the left seat and a backup pilot, and must meet all rest requirements set by AOR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.