Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
CI can't get a break they only just get into a position of making regular profits after years of mixed loss and profits. Unions should bide their time and wait until CI actually gets stronger finacially before even thinking of striking. I suppose the unions must be thinking the government will pick up the cost if its unprofitable.

Anyway seeing As their union numbers are small and seeing as only some of them actually voted let them strike. Yes unpleasent but a company can not work with unreasonable unions. Offer the same pay or ever So slightly More as BR does for its pilots and then take the moral high ground in Any dispute.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
that is not true
Takeoff length (MTOW, SL, ISA) for A359 is 2600 m and for 789 is 2900 m
Landing Distance (MLW, SL, ISA) for A359 is 2000 m
SJC AMSL is 62ft and runways are 3350 m
It'll work for A359 but it will be difficult with 77W
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
I think the larger issue is gate space, but I think the A359 and 788/789 are in the same wingspan group?
AA used to put 777 from SJC to NRT so that won't be an issue
http://www.flysanjose.com/sites/defa...eport_2013.pdf

NOTES:

1) Aircraft design Group V can be accommodated on existing Runway 12R-30L and Runway 12L-30R with operational restrictions applied during taxiing to maintain separation requirements.

I recall someone else said in airliners.net that 787 is currently (since 343 and 772 are history) the largest aircraft that SJC can handle without severely restricting operations, but I cannot seem to find the post now.

Wingspan
787 = 197 ft 3 in (60.12 m)
772 = 199 ft 11 in (60.93 m)
343 = 208 ft 11 in (63.69 m)
359 = 212.43 ft (64.75 m)
77W = 242 ft 4 in (73.86 m) 212 ft 7 in (64.8 m)

SJC runway width = 150 ft (46 m)
Taxiway width = 75 ft
Between runway centerlines = 700 ft
Between runway/taxiway Y centerlines = 350 ft
Between runway/taxiway W (F) centerlines = 400 ft
Between taxiway Y/Z centerlines = 215 ft

AERO - Operating the 747-8 at Existing Airports

ICAO Code E/F (FAA Group V/VI)
Runway width = 148 / 197 ft
Taxiway width = 75 / 82 ft
Runway - Taxiway Separation = 599 / 623 ft
Taxiway - Taxiway Separation = 262 / 320 ft

359 is cutting very close to the standard of Group VI range, by 1.57 ft or .25 m.

Last edited by coolfish1103; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:23 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:28 pm

AA used to put 777 from SJC to NRT so that won't be an issue
Passengers deplaned in a separate area at SJC and boarded from an A+ gate and not the IAB.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Passengers deplaned in a separate area at SJC and boarded from an A+ gate and not the IAB.
SJC has significantly changed since AA flew the 777 (and before that, the MD-11) from SJC to NRT. Terminal B didn't exist back then. Also, AA used the 777-200, not the 777-300ER which both CI and BR operate.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
SJC has significantly changed since AA flew the 777 (and before that, the MD-11) from SJC to NRT. Terminal B didn't exist back then. Also, AA used the 777-200, not the 777-300ER which both CI and BR operate.
In either case 77W is not allowed here under normal circumstances as it's a Grade VI. 359 is right under the radar so I am unsure if SJC will give a pass on that should CI plans to start a route as there are adequate passengers to serve.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:39 pm

Does any one have any news of CI's narrow body order ? As well as those A350 options ? I can't believe they keep dragging the decisions ......
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Does any one have any news of CI's narrow body order ? As well as those A350 options ? I can't believe they keep dragging the decisions ......
Narrowbody was supposed to be end of last year...but it has just come and gone. The options supposedly expire in Q1 of this year...not much time left for them!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:07 am

Also, what will happened to the codeshare flights between CI and VX after VX merged into AS. I suppose the agreement at least temporary carry over ?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Also, what will happened to the codeshare flights between CI and VX after VX merged into AS. I suppose the agreement at least temporary carry over ?
As of now it's carried over. You can connect CI to AS.

CI will have to make a decision on the 359 options in the coming months. I don't see any reason not to use the 6 options cause they are running out of planes.

Narrowbody I do see them continue using 738 and not placing anything.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Here is my wild guess. The order has been delayed due to negoiations as it would make sense to bundle the narrowbody and widebody orders. The issue with ordering an A320neo is the huge backlog of orders Airbus has, so I guess there is very limited spots that they can get the planes within 3 or 4 years. Combine that with the pricing I am guessing CI is wanting a cheaper price and Airbus is playing hard ball as the order combined with the A350 is not huge plus they are not desperate for a320 orders.

Boeing is still an outsider due to those A350 options and they have an almost equally long backlog.
Anyway lets see. Once those options expire Boeing has a much better chance to get a B787 order with a B737 order bundled.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I imagine CI is waiting on more concrete performance projections on 737-10 before making any decision on narrow body. There is no reason to make a decision now since 738 fleet is still relatively young and CI has no immediate need for more narrow body capacity. However unlikely, should the China decides to really lift the frequency cap on flights between the two country, then we can expect CI to really put an urgent emphasis on replacing the narrow body fleet.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
I imagine CI is waiting on more concrete performance projections on 737-10 before making any decision on narrow body. There is no reason to make a decision now since 738 fleet is still relatively young and CI has no immediate need for more narrow body capacity. However unlikely, should the China decides to really lift the frequency cap on flights between the two country, then we can expect CI to really put an urgent emphasis on replacing the narrow body fleet.
I don't believe they are looking for 737-10 though ..... After all, they are really looking for the traffic right to CDG so I believe the main discussion is still with Airbus
Plus A321NEO (LR) is doing much better than 737-10 and certainly provides more range/pax optimization choices
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:08 pm

I don't believe they are looking for 737-10 though ..... After all, they are really looking for the traffic right to CDG so I believe the main discussion is still with Airbus
Plus A321NEO (LR) is doing much better than 737-10 and certainly provides more range/pax optimization choices
They keep talking about CDG rights, but will that ever happen? 3 carriers on the route?!

In addition, as flag carrier(and partly govt owned) by a country(or province) with few allies(the US being one of the key ones) , you can imagine that Boeing may use politics as a way to gain narrow body orders with them!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
They keep talking about CDG rights, but will that ever happen? 3 carriers on the route?!

In addition, as flag carrier(and partly govt owned) by a country(or province) with few allies(the US being one of the key ones) , you can imagine that Boeing may use politics as a way to gain narrow body orders with them!

we saw what DL did ... so no worries
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:14 pm

we saw what DL did ... so no worries
DL is in no way govt owned! In addition, it does not need to appease the executive branch either; that is their own country.

Taiwan needs to make good with allies(they are dropping like flies)!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.