Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coolfish1103
Google doc for China Airlines & Starlux Airlines
- 2017 China Airlines Network
- A document for Tigerair Taiwan (LCC) will soon be made.

Things to note:

Information may not be up-to-date and is only served as advice. It's best for one to call the airline or check the official website. This thread will only cover carriers not having their own forums operated from Taiwan (not China). It's recommended to read some recent discussions in this page or this section of the forum as they might not yet be updated.

Please visit EVA FT forum for information regards to EVA Air.

Miles Buzz

China Airlines (CI) - 中華航空
Subsidiary: Mandarin Airlines (AE) - 華信航空

Fare Family
- China Airlines has followed the steps of EVA Air adopting new fare system where you are charged depending on the booking class you purchase. Have a read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...y-br-v-ci.html and https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en...ts/fare-family

Future destinations
- CI plans to operate Seattle from 15JUL24.

Mileage Upgrade no longer applicable to cheap tickets
- From July 2, 2020

You may only upgrade via miles with booking codes Y, B, M, K, Q, T, V for Economy and W, U, A for Premium Economy on all sectors.

Far Eastern Air Transport (FE) - 遠東航空

Ceased operation as of December 13, 2019.

STARLUX Airlines (JX) - 星宇航空

Future destinations
- JX plans to operate Seattle from 17AUG24.

New Lounge at Terminal 2
- First Class Lounge available for First Class passengers only (if not opting for HuanYu Terminal).

Fleet:
13x A321neo
11x A330-900neo (4 currently in service)
10x A350-900 (5 currently in service)

International Airport Gateways
TPE Taipei Taoyuan International Airport - 桃園國際機場
Print Wikipost

Information for Airlines based in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
If it's only 500 TWD, Business is the way to go.
haha dang you guys are really splurging with the 500 NTD for a business upgrade. Does that come with Dom and Krug??? lol
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by blackmamba
haha dang you guys are really splurging with the 500 NTD for a business upgrade. Does that come with Dom and Krug??? lol
It doesn't, but the amount of time saved by being in Business Class is compensated more than enough by NTD 500 (not even USD 20).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
--
Yes, there are

33A with 30 new seats in 166 recline/pods/panasonic ex2
33A with 30 original seats in 166 recline/pods/panasonic
Hi coolfish1103, is there any way I can figure out which one I am in and does it make a big difference? All definitely 30 seats, itinerary confirmed as FCO(DEL)-TPE-SYD, AKL(BNE)-TPE(DEL)-FCO in April.

Also, I have seen that in a few days there will (apparently) be the possibility to reserve specific meals on line. Is it worth doing and does it work well??
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:02 am

If I want to fly LAX to TPE.... but have miles on United Mileage Plus Program.. is that any good? Or must I have a stopover since it doesn't partner with China Airlines or Eva?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 5:24 am
Original Poster

There is no way to tell which 333 version you will be in. The TV screen is smaller wither older system and the seat is leather rather than cotton. Nothing much different.

Reserving meal = useless cause they are the same offerings as on board.
--
It does not partner with either CI or BR, so you will have to fly UA or NH in this case if you want to credit to UA miles.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There is no way to tell which 333 version you will be in. The TV screen is smaller wither older system and the seat is leather rather than cotton. Nothing much different.

Reserving meal = useless cause they are the same offerings as on board.
--
Thanks a lot! If I experience them both I'll add my two pence on the comparison upon returning!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:31 pm

Well as you can see I'm getting really excited about trying this new airline (albeit very frustrated not to be able to stopover in Taipei as I don't have the time). This time, I have questions about meal. I have looked at the fabulous google document and have seen that for flights which depart after about 21.00, the 'dinner' is replaced by a 'light meal', which means starter, main and fruit plate but no canape and no cheese. Did I get this right? I have also seen the second meal is normally (hot?) breakfast. Here are my questions:

(1) what happens on flights with stops? Eg for my FCO(DEL)TPE, do we get 2+2 meals? or 2+1? FCO-DEL is overnight so I guess S+B, but the second leaves around midday and arrives in the evening does it make it L or L+D? Same question for the return (this time both legs are day time)

And same on AKL-BNE-TPE is it D till BNE (about 3h) and then S+B BNE-TPE or is it different again??

(2) The google doc mentions snacks available in between meals. Can you tell us a bit more? Are we talking biscuits and nuts or crisps? Or noodles? Sandwiches? Ice cream? I'm only asking because on my second flight the menu showing online doesn't look too appealing so could skip the main course if the 'in between' snacks sound nice!

(3) Finally, many Asian airlines seem to be better at preparing Asian food over European. Is it the case with CI? Any particular recommendation on what is particularly good or not so good? (for breakfast I have seen a tea sauce pork neck congee which sounds very good on paper at least! )

Thanks!!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

FCO-DEL: 2 meals & DEL-TPE: 1 meal

If it's around lunch time for Delhi departure then it's lunch.

AKL-BNE: 1 meal & BNE-TPE: 2 meals
--
Real Biscuits, Sandwiches, Rice Noodles.

Obviously crackers, cookies, nuts and biscuits and others are also available.

I don't think skipping meals is a good idea, though.
--
I am unsure about it since your flight departs at Roma, so the food is prepared at Roma. I wouldn't say the European choice is worse in this case. Same for Delhi and flights departing from Auckland and Brisbane.

For flights departing from Taipei, the Asian type should be better but not always the case.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:20 am

FCO-DEL: 2 meals & DEL-TPE: 1 meal

If it's around lunch time for Delhi departure then it's lunch.

AKL-BNE: 1 meal & BNE-TPE: 2 meals
--
Real Biscuits, Sandwiches, Rice Noodles.

Obviously crackers, cookies, nuts and biscuits and others are also available.

I don't think skipping meals is a good idea, though.
--
I am unsure about it since your flight departs at Roma, so the food is prepared at Roma. I wouldn't say the European choice is worse in this case. Same for Delhi and flights departing from Auckland and Brisbane.

For flights departing from Taipei, the Asian type should be better but not always the case.
Thanks again, this helps a lot!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:51 pm

Hey coolfish1103:

1) What is CI's exact rules for baggage? We are going to SZX from SFO; one of us is staying in TPE for a few days before continuing to SZX, the other is transiting directly through TPE. How many bags do we get and how heavy can each be without us getting excess charges?

2) From the seat selector, it looks as though I'm stuck with the 74C; is it set to just display that seat setup by default, or do I really have no chance of getting the C-2 (also what's the status of power outlets in Y for both planes)?

Last edited by lolstebbo; Apr 2, 2012 at 10:56 pm
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
Hey coolfish1103:

1) What is CI's exact rules for baggage? We are going to SZX from SFO; one of us is staying in TPE for a few days before continuing to SZX, the other is transiting directly through TPE. How many bags do we get and how heavy can each be without us getting excess charges?

2) From the seat selector, it looks as though I'm stuck with the 74C; is it set to just display that seat setup by default, or do I really have no chance of getting the C-2 (also what's the status of power outlets in Y for both planes)?
SZX to SFO on one ticket issuance (regardless stopover in TPE or not) uses piece concepts
- Economy 2x23kg per person
- Business/First 2x32kg per person
- An extra bag if you have Gold/Emerald
- 2 extra bags if you have Paragon

Separate ticket issuance
- Economy 20kg per person on SZX-TPE
- Business 30kg per person on SZX-TPE
- First 40kg per person on SZX-TPE
- An extra 10kg if you have Gold/Emerald
- An extra 20kg if you have Paragon
- Max 32kg per baggage weight
- TPE-SFO uses the piece rule above

It's not by default, if it's 74C it will show only 28AB, if it's 74C-2 or 744 then you will see 28ABC. Obviously last minute rotations may change things. On 74C there's actually power outlets on all seats in Economy (directly under your seat). 74C-2 unfortunately does not have power outlets on all seats, only selective them have. Like 1 per each row.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:24 am

SZX to SFO on one ticket issuance (regardless stopover in TPE or not) uses piece concepts
- Economy 2x23kg per person
- Business/First 2x32kg per person
- An extra bag if you have Gold/Emerald
- 2 extra bags if you have Paragon

Separate ticket issuance
- Economy 20kg per person on SZX-TPE
- Business 30kg per person on SZX-TPE
- First 40kg per person on SZX-TPE
- An extra 10kg if you have Gold/Emerald
- An extra 20kg if you have Paragon
- Max 32kg per baggage weight
- TPE-SFO uses the piece rule above
What about SFO-SZX?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lolstebbo
What about SFO-SZX?
Same, just reverse routing.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:53 pm

Same, just reverse routing.
Alright, thanks! How do you know so much anyway? >.>
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: hardly any
Call the new United

It is my understanding that the new United has an award flight arrangement with EVA. You must call to make arrangements. I think that this is a piece of the business that Continental brought to the merger.

Originally Posted by cocodidi
If I want to fly LAX to TPE.... but have miles on United Mileage Plus Program.. is that any good? Or must I have a stopover since it doesn't partner with China Airlines or Eva?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.