Wiki Posts
Search

Cross-Strait Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, HI DIA
Cross-Strait Experiences

My wife and I are traveling from Taiwan to Shanghai this summer and are trying to decide between the carriers that now have regularly scheduled service between those cities. We're basically indifferent between carriers, although have noticed that MU/FM are considerably cheaper than BR/CI.

Any experiences on cross-strait service in business class, particularly on the Chinese carriers? I know FM runs a 757 out of Taipei-Sungshan, while MU uses a 332. BR and CI both appear to use 744's on the route.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Not really what you were asking, but Ms Jimbo just did PVG to TPE with EVA but in Economy. She was impressed and preferred it to the Air China flight she took going the other way.

Air China is part of Star Alliance, of course, and she did enjoy the lounge on her TG gold card.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Preference in order:

GE (cause it operates to TSA)
BR/CI
CZ
CA
MU/FM

I have taken all the airlines above in other routes, but not all of them on the cross straits. I would strongly avoid MU at all costs, even though their service standard should be okay on this route.

This is probably also a reason why the Taiwanese carriers are operating larger aircrafts though they can't really take transit passengers due to issues. They just get more passengers on these routes.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
They just get more passengers on these routes.
Yep, BR are coining it. Ms Jimbo's company just made a policy - only take direct flights from Taiwan to the mainland, regardless of cost. Just a sentiment/political thing, though it does save time. No doubt when they do their end of year accounts the policy will be changed again!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:41 am

I have experienced all of them except GE on the X strait routes
i basically agree with coolfish
If I have time and traveling in J, I prefer KA via HKG actually, if I have to go direct BR is the first choice.
I'd say all of the carriers that operate X-Strait are up to standard in Y since these routes are their "Golden Hens"(Just a Chinese way of saying something that makes good money).
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: CX DM, MU Gold, UA Premier, Starwood Plat, HH Gold
I would say if you were airline agnostic, just pick the cheapest ticket because it is such a short flight, you would be there before you knew it. Even China based airlines are ok on this route.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: Airline: AC, BR; Hotel: Fairmont
I have recently flown TPE-->PEK & PVG-->TPE on BR (747 on both flights) and enjoyed the experience. I flew economy and made sure I got seats on the upper deck which were more spacious and with the extra storage space next to the window seats. Highly recommend it if you don't mind the longer drive or ride to the Taoyuan airport (vs Songshan).
Old Apr 3, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: CI Emerald, UA 1K, AA
Have taken CI for TPE-PVG-TPE and TPE-PEK-TPE several times. No different than any other CI flight. In addition to the 747s, they have on occasion used A330s. I've gotten one of the new 747s once, but the other times, they were all the old ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.