Singapore to Phuket, best low cost carrier to take?

Old Mar 17, 10, 4:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Singapore to Phuket, best low cost carrier to take?

Hi,

I will be taking a flight from Singapore to Phuket in April and I was wondering what is the best low cost carrier, or if someone can give me the name of a decent airline with fairly reasonable prices from these two city pairs? Thank you.
Old Mar 17, 10, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
try air asia....i use them all the time....while they are nothing to write home about, the airline is decent enough for short trips....

http://www.airasia.com/
Old Mar 17, 10, 6:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saad View Post
try air asia....i use them all the time....while they are nothing to write home about, the airline is decent enough for short trips....

http://www.airasia.com/
Wow, thanks for the tip. The one way fare from SIN to HKT is only $56.00 USD whereas Silk Air wanted close to $250 for the same itin. So, a stupid question. Is the airline safe? What kind of planes do they fly?

Last edited by DL2SXM; Mar 17, 10 at 6:30 am
Old Mar 17, 10, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
the airline is definitely safe....in the last 3-4 years i must have flown with them about 50 times....no problems except for a number of flight delays....

in my experience if you book an early morning flight then you have nothing to worry about....they are almost always on time....

besides the flight delay problem the airline is good....

like i said before, its a great option for short duration flights (around 2 hours or so)....
Old Mar 17, 10, 6:42 am
Suspended

If you do fly Air Asia from SIN, do check carefully which terminal you would be using; its not the Budget Terminal as many would have thought, its T1 or T2 (cant remember)

Flown this route once with them, I believe they use the A320
Old Mar 17, 10, 6:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
If you do fly Air Asia from SIN, do check carefully which terminal you would be using; its not the Budget Terminal as many would have thought, its T1 or T2 (cant remember)

Flown this route once with them, I believe they use the A320
How did you like them? I would imagine they must have boarding procedures and carry-on bag procedures similar to ryanair, virginblue?
Old Mar 17, 10, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
How did you like them? I would imagine they must have boarding procedures and carry-on bag procedures similar to ryanair, virginblue?
Apart from the australian Jetstar (and Air Asia), I do not have much experience with budget airlines.

Comfort wise I am not that thrilled if I have to fly Air Asia, but they do fly direct to many secondary cities which other major airlines do not fly to and on certain routes the timing and frequency of flights made them an ideal choice.

They have implemented assigned seating not too long ago, and enforcement of carry-ons seems to vary with different airports but I thought they are generally quite lax.
Old Mar 17, 10, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, SPG Gold,NW GE
Recently flew Air Asia from Colombo to KUL. I enjoyed the price and the flight!
You can pay a couple of bucks more and reserve a "hot seat": exit row.
I recommend them.
Old Mar 17, 10, 11:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast and informative replies everyone. I will definitely book air asia. The flight is around 90 minutes so it shouldnt be to bad.

Heck, I flew on a Ryanair flight a few years back, the flight was about 2 1/2 hours and dealt with seats that didnt recline.

Someone mentioned terminals, does anyone know for sure which terminal Air Asia uses at SIN?
Old Mar 17, 10, 11:14 am

Programs: SQ Gold, CO
Air Asia was good for me

I flew Air Asia in February SIN to PEN - was favorably impressed. Flight was on time, plane was clean, staff was courteous. Flight departed from SIN Terminal 1. Everything - including water - has to be purchased on board, nothing is free. However the price was so good I can't complain.
Old Mar 17, 10, 12:22 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Someone mentioned terminals, does anyone know for sure which terminal Air Asia uses at SIN?
Terminal 1 in Singapore. HKT normally boards from a gate not a bus.

Baggage which one pays for is 15kg, but one can also buy 20kg.

IMO it is worth it to buy the "hot seats" because often few people other than foreign visitors buy them therefore for a small fee, one often gets empty seat(s) next to them. Pitch in exit rows is somewhat greater. First row of exits do not recline, second does. First 5 rows allow one off the plane quicker, but immigration in HKT is quick.

You pay for food and drink on board. Nothing is free.

Malaysia Airlines sometimes comes close to Air Asia pricing. Difference, 20kg baggage and free food and non-alcoholic drinks.

Air Asia is fine and my 2nd choice LCC in Asia. JetStar is my 1st if they fly the route and their all in pricing is close. They also fly from T-1 in Singapore.
Old Mar 17, 10, 3:45 pm
cjd

Thanks for the fast and informative replies everyone. I will definitely book air asia. The flight is around 90 minutes so it shouldnt be to bad.

Heck, I flew on a Ryanair flight a few years back, the flight was about 2 1/2 hours and dealt with seats that didnt recline.

Just flew with Air Asia between Singapore and Phuket in the last 2 weeks. They were fine - no problems at all. Flights each way were exactly on time, planes about 75%full. It seemed to be a fairly new Airbus. Flew from Terminal 1 at Singapore. I paid extra on-line to increase the luggage allowance to 20kg, which was what we were allowed on our main flights with KLM/Air France. As you state, the flight is only about 90 minutes. Wasn't sure what all the steam was before take-off and on landing - somebody might be able to tell me.
Old Mar 17, 10, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA

I find the LCCs of asia beat most other carriers in europe!

But FYI - Air Asia isn't the only carrier who flies SIN-HKT. There's :

Tiger Airways (partly owned by Singapore Airlines) - http://www.tigerairways.com/

and

Jetstar (partly owned by Qantas)
http://www.jetstar.com/gx/en/index.aspx
Old Mar 17, 10, 8:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
I find the LCCs of asia beat most other carriers in europe!

But FYI - Air Asia isn't the only carrier who flies SIN-HKT. There's :

Tiger Airways (partly owned by Singapore Airlines) - http://www.tigerairways.com/

and

Jetstar (partly owned by Qantas)
http://www.jetstar.com/gx/en/index.aspx
I checked out jetstar and there prices were just a tad higher then Air Asia. Air Asia only has only one daily flight available (SIN to HKT) and it was in the early afternoon so that makes for perfect timing as far as checking in to the Hilton Phuket. Total Air Asia price for April 28 is $79 SGD.

Jetstar has an early morning flight out of SIN (0820) and a late evening flight (2045) so those times really dont work well with our arrival and hotel check in at the Hilton Phuket. Best Jetstar fare is $83 SGD whch happens to be the jetsaver fare.

Gonna check out tiger airways next.
Old Mar 18, 10, 1:31 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue, SK Eurobonus, TG ROP, BA EC, QR Privilege Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Just flew with Air Asia between Singapore and Phuket in the last 2 weeks. They were fine - no problems at all. Flights each way were exactly on time, planes about 75%full. It seemed to be a fairly new Airbus. Flew from Terminal 1 at Singapore. I paid extra on-line to increase the luggage allowance to 20kg, which was what we were allowed on our main flights with KLM/Air France. As you state, the flight is only about 90 minutes. Wasn't sure what all the steam was before take-off and on landing - somebody might be able to tell me.
The steam is the air conditioning reacting with the extremely humid air in those areas.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: