Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philippine Airlines (PR) A340 Mabuhay Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Philippine Airlines (PR) A340 Mabuhay Class

I am confirmed on my first trip on PR from YVR to MNL. I know that this route still has the old style seats. My outbound seat is 12K and return seat 11A. Looking for input on the quality of food, service, seat comfort, and overall experience. Thank you.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
If your flight is still a few months away, there's the possibility that you could be upgraded to the 77W. MNL-YVR-MNL is one of the routes believed to be targeted by the new PAL 77Ws.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Thanks, Akiestar. My trip is in Dec 2009 so highly unlikely that the 77W will be rolled out by then. Do you have any thouhgts on the A340? Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
The A340s are reasonably comfortable though if you are 6' or taller the C seats may be cramped. If you can pay the $150 for a (previous) F seat at check it, it's worth it. They are great seats: 80" pitch & lie flat.

PTV is mediocre.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, terminalc. How is their in flight service (i.e. meals)? Any additional tips to help me enjoy the time in the air?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:56 am
formerly jasperjugan

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member
they have the usual AVOD and food (for us asians) are good both in economy and business class (i prefer it over other airlines, no offense)

by the way, wouldn't yvr-mnl flight use an A340 and not 747?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by naswi
Thanks, terminalc. How is their in flight service (i.e. meals)? Any additional tips to help me enjoy the time in the air?
I've not flown them TPAC, only regional Asia flights (A340s used to get deployed here & there, don't know if they still are.)

My experiences have always been good. Generally excellent meals ex-MNL (though the quality of the menu itself is cheesy), their drink selection is limited (San Miguel is pretty much the beer & wines have generally been Lindemans, not the cheapest Lindemans). Portions are not as generous as some airlines, but just remember how much you save on that C ticket!

Service has generally been attentive & all their flight attendants speak very good English. When meal services are finished the FAs do tend to disappear but will quickly come if called.

I think PR is a pretty good airline. Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:22 am

Good but not good as good as VN which is entering SkyTeam next year?

(This is me entering on the comments you posted on A.Net. )
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
Good but not good as good as VN which is entering SkyTeam next year?
Akiestar - Give me PR ANY day.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
(This is me entering on the comments you posted on A.Net. )
Akiestar - A follow up. I made the PR analogy bec I was tired of being flamed by some many who'd probably never been on VN! Let me clarify: PR is a far better airline in my experience. My only complaint has been unsatisfactory handling of canceled flights. I keep looking for reasons to fly PR TPAC. I wish they were going into Skyteam instead!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:33 pm

anyone knows whether all their A340s are similar? in terms of product?

am considering using PR to HNL. Schedule has it that its flying an A340. any comments on this product on this route? price is quite hefty though....but its one of the convenient ways to reach HNL from Malaysia instead of having to go through Japan.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:41 am

The A340s are all the same, but I think one has different row #s. No idea why.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by terminalc
Akiestar - A follow up. I made the PR analogy bec I was tired of being flamed by some many who'd probably never been on VN! Let me clarify: PR is a far better airline in my experience. My only complaint has been unsatisfactory handling of canceled flights. I keep looking for reasons to fly PR TPAC. I wish they were going into Skyteam instead!
I don't know, but I'm definitely sure the Philippines is a larger aviation market than Vietnam. Heck, VN doesn't even serve MNL! Although I agree that PR does have this "laughing-stock" reputation (especially on A.Net with the 77Ws a while back), I think they deserve a second look.

Then again, according to an aunt who works at PR, she says that they're still closest to AA (then either DL or UA). However, I don't want to see PR in Oneworld: if they do, they'll be reduced to only feeding HKG and NRT, and MNL won't be much of a hub given that CX has already covered most of the region.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by terminalc
The A340s are reasonably comfortable though if you are 6' or taller the C seats may be cramped. If you can pay the $150 for a (previous) F seat at check it, it's worth it. They are great seats: 80" pitch & lie flat.

PTV is mediocre.
I agree, the F class seats are better. Service and food is the same as business class though but get seats on the second row since they have better legroom.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
I will likely be flying on a PR 340 YVR-MNL, then onto BKK this December.
Any recent experiences on their Business Class seating? I'm 6'4", so leg room is the most important thing to me.
Are the front two rows First Class seats with Bizz service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.