Flying private with pets

Old May 15, 19, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Flying private with pets

My wife and I recently booked a charter flight on a Gulfstream from jet edge and were charged $1000 just to bring our poodle on board. We paid it as it was too late to find something else but is this an industry standard practice? Seemed extreme, especially for a hypoallergenic dog.
Old May 15, 19, 4:22 pm

Not standard, vast majority of operators (large cabin aircraft included) will not charge for pets unless they make a mess (in which case there would be a cleaning fee)
Old May 15, 19, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by EagenProperties View Post
My wife and I recently booked a charter flight on a Gulfstream from jet edge and were charged $1000 just to bring our poodle on board. We paid it as it was too late to find something else but is this an industry standard practice? Seemed extreme, especially for a hypoallergenic dog.
I think it's the exception, but I remember reading a story that they do a deep clean after any charters with pets or before the jet owner flies next. Maybe that's why.
Old May 16, 19, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicoolio View Post
I think it's the exception, but I remember reading a story that they do a deep clean after any charters with pets or before the jet owner flies next. Maybe that's why.
I know for a fact they didn't clean the plane after we flew because they picked up passengers in HPN and departed only 2 hours after we left.

Hidden fees like this are disappointing, but otherwise the experience was seamless.
Old May 16, 19, 10:22 am

Did you let them know a head of time you had a pet?
Old May 16, 19, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2 View Post
Did you let them know a head of time you had a pet?
I got quotes through the jet membership quoting program and then booked directly with jet edge. A few days prior to our flight we let jet edge know we were bringing our dog and that's when they noted there would be the $1,000 fee. They wouldn't waive it despite my best efforts and promise of future business.
Old May 16, 19, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by EagenProperties View Post
I got quotes through the jet membership quoting program and then booked directly with jet edge. A few days prior to our flight we let jet edge know we were bringing our dog and that's when they noted there would be the $1,000 fee. They wouldn't waive it despite my best efforts and promise of future business.
I think their core customers are the airplane owners and brokers. I think whoever you talk to there who is a broker/salesperson mainly is doing it for the aircraft owners who need extra flights.
Old May 17, 19, 10:06 am

Yes, JetEdge does not own any of their fleet so they are just a management company with a charter team to sell the empty legs / one way offers. My guess is since you got it at "wholesale" pricing there was no room to include the pet fee that normally could have been covered if it was a retail charter quote. At the end of the day it all should have washed out with the savings. I have had times where some operators decide to hanger the jet the night before my morning departure and I get sent the hanger fee but since it was a one way deal it at the end of the day it was still a better deal then normal roundtrip pricing.
Old May 20, 19, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2 View Post
Yes, JetEdge does not own any of their fleet so they are just a management company with a charter team to sell the empty legs / one way offers. My guess is since you got it at "wholesale" pricing there was no room to include the pet fee that normally could have been covered if it was a retail charter quote. At the end of the day it all should have washed out with the savings. I have had times where some operators decide to hanger the jet the night before my morning departure and I get sent the hanger fee but since it was a one way deal it at the end of the day it was still a better deal then normal roundtrip pricing.
Yes, no complaints about the wholesale price. It was on their "floating" Gulfstream fleet so was 18,500+tax+pet fee and booked well in advance. The broker I usually use was quoting me 21,500+tax on the same airplane and up to 31,000 for some other aircraft so the jet membership program is worth the entry fee. I'm sure the broker would have forwarded me the pet fee as well as Jet Edge would have billed them for it like you were billed for the hangar with your broker. Just a bit shocked at the $1,000. I can understand if there was a mess, but we left the plane exactly in the same condition as we came to it.