Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

BlackBird, cheap private flight Uber type app gets $10 million in financing

Old Mar 28, 19, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Has anyone heard of BlackBird or used them?

Uber-For-Planes Startup BlackBird Raises $10 Million To Replace Road Trips With Flying Private

If Rudd Davis’ vision comes true, the days of the road trip will be over—or at least massively curtailed. The former USA Today and Groupon executive wants to make flying private as affordable as driving and have it become the go-to option for any 50-to-500-mile trip. The biggest challenge, he says, is getting people to buy into the belief.

It’s not just Davis who believes in this vision. On Tuesday, BlackBird announced that it had raised $10 million from Silicon Valley venture firm NEA. Jonathan Golden, a partner at NEA and a former Airbnb director, will join the board.

BlackBird’s growth reminds Golden of the early days of Airbnb and Lyft, when people had to learn a new behavior like sharing a car or sleeping in someone’s house. A private driver used to be something only the elite could afford. Now hailing a ride whenever you need it is commonplace. Golden sees BlackBird repeating the same thing with private air travel.
Source:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bizcars.../#1313c0ee2590

BlackBird just raised $10 million to be the Uber of private flying…Here’s what I learned from reading the fine print with an aviation attorney

BlackBird certainly doesn’t go out of its way to tell users about what they are getting into. At the bottom of the page where I clicked to complete the transaction in small but clear type was written, “By continuing, you agree to BlackBird’s terms of use.” The disclaimer is on several pages leading up to the purchase as well.

“It’s incredibly shocking to think that anyone would lease an aircraft and hire pilots via an App without thoroughly understanding the associated risks and responsibilities,” Hernandez, the former FAA official told me. He add that “It often takes several days to negotiate leases and pilot services agreements given the very real risks and complexities associated with FAA Operational Control and regulatory compliance. Clients need to fully understand all of the associated risks and responsibilities before entering into any lease.”

Last edited by l'etoile; Jul 8, 19 at 11:08 am Reason: Rule 7
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:02 am

Personally I wouldn't want to be on a dry lease flight due to the reduced regulatory oversight.
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:08 am

another new "uber for private jets" I feel like these are weekly press releases and they just insert a new company name into them. it will be interesting to see how this angle works.
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:12 am

Who else is doing it? Raising $10m from a real VC firm like NEA is not easy.
Old Mar 29, 19, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkrocks View Post
Who else is doing it? Raising $10m from a real VC firm like NEA is not easy.
just saying the whole uber for private jets tag line. FlyVictor, JetSmarter, Wheels Up, Takeoff360, BlackJet, PrivateFly, SurfAir etc all using that same tag line. Other then Wheels Up all the others seem to just burn the VC cash.
Old Mar 29, 19, 7:02 am

I'm familiar with a few of those and they don't work anything like Uber or Blackbird. That's funny they're hopping on the Uber bandwagon for marketing/fundraising.
Old Mar 29, 19, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2 View Post
just saying the whole uber for private jets tag line. FlyVictor, JetSmarter, Wheels Up, Takeoff360, BlackJet, PrivateFly, SurfAir etc all using that same tag line. Other then Wheels Up all the others seem to just burn the VC cash.
The same company that owns Flexjet bought PrivateFly recently.

Search this Thread