FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation-754/)
-   -   Secondary Market for Prepaid Flight Credits? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation/1959960-secondary-market-prepaid-flight-credits.html)

Col. John Matrix Mar 8, 2019 2:03 pm

Secondary Market for Prepaid Flight Credits?

I am new to these forums, and am an executive in the finance department of a company with a significant (~$100,000) balance of flight credits with a NetJets / JetSmarter / Sentient Jets / JetSuite-type provider. These credits were purchased under my company's prior owner and our account hasn't been used in several years. If possible, we'd like to sell these credits at a substantial discount to someone who would actually use them.

My question is: is there a "secondary market" for unused flight credits with these types of providers, or are there brokers that would be interested in purchasing these credits at a discount? I haven't reviewed my company's contract with our provider yet, so I don't even know if it's legally an option, but curious if this is something that is ever done.

Thanks in advance for the help and please go easy on me as a new user!

flyertalkrocks Mar 8, 2019 2:10 pm

I doubt they're transferable but I could be wrong. Also sometimes (all the time?) they expire.

Balltoof Mar 8, 2019 5:16 pm

Why not just call the company to find out if they are transferable first? And some of the providers you’ve listed do have credits that expire so I would make sure they are still good

msm2 Mar 9, 2019 4:44 am

NetJets / Sentient Jets all expire normally within 18 to 24 months unless your company had a special deal with them. I would first find out what exactly they have and then would call the companies to see if they are still valid.

Nicoolio Mar 9, 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Col. John Matrix (Post 30863512)
I am new to these forums, and am an executive in the finance department of a company with a significant (~$100,000) balance of flight credits with a NetJets / JetSmarter / Sentient Jets / JetSuite-type provider. These credits were purchased under my company's prior owner and our account hasn't been used in several years. If possible, we'd like to sell these credits at a substantial discount to someone who would actually use them.

My question is: is there a "secondary market" for unused flight credits with these types of providers, or are there brokers that would be interested in purchasing these credits at a discount? I haven't reviewed my company's contract with our provider yet, so I don't even know if it's legally an option, but curious if this is something that is ever done.

Thanks in advance for the help and please go easy on me as a new user!

I think it's going to vary -- 100k is not very much when it comes to full aircraft charter - so if you are saying 100k in credits with each - then that's different. Depending on the program they may have expired or not. If you have a NetJets share or lease you would have been paying monthly management fees regardless of flying, so it might be a jet card - I believe depending on what type the hours are valid for up to 24 months. I don't think Sentient deposits expire. I know from my personal experience (other providers) you can't sell the credits - however I know some companies have markets where members can sell or trade to each other.