Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

Private Fliers | How often are you solicited by pilots during a flight?

Old Aug 25, 18, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Vault Aviation, NBAA, ARGUS, Wyvern

One of the biggest issues in the private jet charter brokerage world is having our clients directly solicited by operators/pilots. Luckily, a vast majority of our clients are extremely loyal, so they tell us when direct solicitation by pilots happen.

I am talking about the pilot going to our client and giving them a card and saying “hey call us up directly next time, we’ll give you a better deal than your broker.” This is the worst thing an operator can do to a broker, and we’ve been experiencing it happening at an alarming rate recently. It’s to the point where we no longer feel that these are rouge pilots doing it, we are starting to sense operators are getting desperate for retail clients. I recently had a client invite me to fly with him on a flight we brokered for him. The pilot, not knowing I was the broker, came back during the flight to solicit my client ... and solicit me. That made for a fun conversation with the operator when we landed.

My question to the frequent private fliers here is how often are you being solicited by pilots while on your brokered flight? Also, how does it make you feel when it happens? Does it make you feel like the pilots are doing something improper? Does it have an effect on your overall experience?
Old Aug 26, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: QF LTG
I would be extatic. Cut out the middle man and save a few dollars
Old Aug 26, 18, 7:07 pm

I don’t see it as a breach of trust just smart business sense. If operators are doing this it shows the brokers really are charging too much without much service
Old Aug 26, 18, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Balltoof View Post
I don’t see it as a breach of trust just smart business sense. If operators are doing this it shows the brokers really are charging too much without much service
Exactly. If the broker provides a good service (such as reliably matching the client to the best operator for the mission, regardless of broker profit motive) for a fair price, then the broker should have nothing to worry about.
flyertalkrocks likes this.

Search this Thread