How do you find a charter plane broker?

Old Aug 8, 18, 10:21 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
How do you find a charter plane broker?

We are looking to charter a plane for a 450 mile airport to airport return trip--but have no idea how to get the best rate for a plane carrying 3-5 people (with dog). Can anyone offer suggestions on services or PM me the options?

Thanks!

EDIT: Looking for SNA to PGA and return several days later.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 8, 18 at 10:29 pm
Old Aug 8, 18, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
We are looking to charter a plane for a 450 mile airport to airport return trip--but have no idea how to get the best rate for a plane carrying 3-5 people (with dog). Can anyone offer suggestions on services or PM me the options?

Thanks!
It might help to post what airports you want to fly to/from.
Old Aug 9, 18, 12:14 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
It might help to post what airports you want to fly to/from.
SNA to PGA and return. Jan 2019.
Old Aug 10, 18, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Is an Eclipse 500 a good plane? Got a quote for $10,595 for SNA-PGA-SNA. Is that reasonable?
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:07 pm

It’s a bit snug for me and the lack of a lavatory doesn’t really work well for my family but you won’t find cheaper than VLG unless you go for turbo prop. For less than 500 miles should be fine but comes down to personal preference.
Old Aug 10, 18, 9:04 pm

Is an Eclipse 500 a good plane? Got a quote for $10,595 for SNA-PGA-SNA. Is that reasonable?
Originally Posted by Balltoof View Post
Its a bit snug for me and the lack of a lavatory doesnt really work well for my family but you wont find cheaper than VLG unless you go for turbo prop. For less than 500 miles should be fine but comes down to personal preference.
I'd also do some research on who's the operator - VLG pilots tend to be the most entry level as larger jets = higher hourly rates = higher pilot salaries although I understand it varies.

Not knowing the operator who you are using, you might also get a quote from JetSuite on a Phenom 100 - also a VLJ but I believe JS is ISBAO Stage 2 or 3 - and they have B6 and QR money behind them - so at least they aren't on a shoe string - also they have their own fleet so I would expect decent service recovery if there is a problem. From San Diego to the LA basis there are a number of operators so I would maybe shop a bit more - Advanced Aviation up in Hawthorne comes to mind as an operator that I believe has turboprops and VLGs. Clay Lacy might be an option too.
Old Aug 11, 18, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Nicoolio View Post
Not knowing the operator who you are using, you might also get a quote from JetSuite on a Phenom 100
I can highly recommend JetSuite. I did PHX-PGA-LAS with them before with a Phenom 100 and found the pricing competitive, pilots friendly, and overall service very professional. It only has 4 seats so it'll be tight with 3-4 people + dog, but fine for this length of flight. You could also ask for a quote on the Phenom 300 which would give you more space, though it will be quite a bit more.

Assuming you'll be staying at Amangiri, I follow the Luxury Hotels forum also , they are very well setup for this - they'll have someone waiting to pick you up right next to the aircraft and then drop you off in similar fashion.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Aug 11, 18, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jctrav View Post
I can highly recommend JetSuite. I did PHX-PGA-LAS with them before with a Phenom 100 and found the pricing competitive, pilots friendly, and overall service very professional. It only has 4 seats so it'll be tight with 3-4 people + dog, but fine for this length of flight. You could also ask for a quote on the Phenom 300 which would give you more space, though it will be quite a bit more.

Assuming you'll be staying at Amangiri, I follow the Luxury Hotels forum also , they are very well setup for this - they'll have someone waiting to pick you up right next to the aircraft and then drop you off in similar fashion.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Yep, staying at Amangiri. You know me too well.

Is the Eclipse 500 or Phenom 100 more spacious? Is one more comfortable than the other? Id heard JetSuite was going through som serious problems and legal challenges, so I wasnt sure it was the best option.

We likely will be just 2 people with our dog. But hes a big boy at 110 lbs. So Id think either plane would work for us.

Thanks for your input!
Old Aug 11, 18, 12:55 pm

The Phenom 100 will have a bit more space and nicer interior (JetSuite's also have wi-fi) - it'll definitely be fine for 2 adults plus a dog.

I think that's JetSmarter with the issues and legal challenges. JetSuite is well funded and backed by JetBlue (too many similarly named companies!), I found both the pilots and sales staff very professional.

Hope that helps.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:23 pm

Honestly, I'd book a Pilatus over either of those. Significantly more spacious than an Eclipse 500 (Pilatus interior is 265% larger interior) or Phenom 100 (Pilatus interior is 65% larger) , only 15 min longer flight time, a bit cheaper, and absurdly safe (if you disagree, be prepared to cite evidence).
Old Aug 13, 18, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

We got a much better quote on the Eclipse 500 compared with any of the other mentioned equipment. By a good $3-4K. It will just be the 2 of us and our dog, so it seems the best bet (and cheapest option) for our first ever private jet charter.

Thanks everyone for your input. We did check with JetSuite and asked specifically for the other equipment to test the market. Were happy with our choice. Anyhing to avoid the 9hr drive.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Exploder, Marriott Plat Premier, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, WN CP, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
We got a much better quote on the Eclipse 500 compared with any of the other mentioned equipment. By a good $3-4K. It will just be the 2 of us and our dog, so it seems the best bet (and cheapest option) for our first ever private jet charter.

Thanks everyone for your input. We did check with JetSuite and asked specifically for the other equipment to test the market. Were happy with our choice. Anyhing to avoid the 9hr drive.
my last real job,as I put it, the company has a citation to shuttle us around when necessary. It was great, but I really preferred the Piaggio Avanti. Its a turbo prop, but it was spacious and hauled a**. It was a lot more fun than the citation. I always took it when given the choice between the two, and it was cheaper to operate.

Try one next time, if you have the chance.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:14 pm

Curious which Eclipse operator was that cheap if you're willing to share?

And even at that pricing, would be surprised if you couldn't beat that in a Pilatus.
Old Aug 14, 18, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rearview View Post
Curious which Eclipse operator was that cheap if you're willing to share?

And even at that pricing, would be surprised if you couldn't beat that in a Pilatus.
Not a single bid came back with a Pilatus, if I recall correctly.

We negotiated several companies down to $11,000. Our final accepted offer was $10,500. JetSuite phenom 100 was over $14,600.
Old Aug 17, 18, 12:12 pm

Just FYI, I got a single Pilatus quote for comparison and it came in just under $10,500.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: