FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation-754/)
-   -   Alternatives to the Airlines? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation/1902758-alternatives-airlines.html)

moneylab Apr 7, 2018 1:19 pm

Alternatives to the Airlines?

I've been following with great interest the ever-expanding offering of airline alternatives, including charter air, air-taxi and regional shuttle providers such as Surf Air and Wheels Up. Even though I can usually fly at least Business Class, I really hate the whole airline experience, from terminal checkin, security lines/TSA, drunk/rude passengers and more - so I'm looking to get out of it whenever I can.

Has anyone in the Forum had good luck with any of the airline alternatives, especially the membership-type programs? I fly frequently enough that I think I could justify the cost, but I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences, recommendations and thoughts. Thanks!

obscure2k Apr 7, 2018 1:26 pm

There is a dedicated FT Forum for Other Air Travel options which addresses your query
Moving thread to the other Air Travel Forum. Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Nicoolio Apr 8, 2018 5:09 am

Originally Posted by moneylab (Post 29613787)
I've been following with great interest the ever-expanding offering of airline alternatives, including charter air, air-taxi and regional shuttle providers such as Surf Air and Wheels Up. Even though I can usually fly at least Business Class, I really hate the whole airline experience, from terminal checkin, security lines/TSA, drunk/rude passengers and more - so I'm looking to get out of it whenever I can.

Has anyone in the Forum had good luck with any of the airline alternatives, especially the membership-type programs? I fly frequently enough that I think I could justify the cost, but I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences, recommendations and thoughts. Thanks!

Wheels Up is really for full aircraft charter -- the hourly rates are around $4,500 to $7,000 per hour after you pay the $17,000 membership fee. Surf Air you pay a monthly membership fee - a couple thousand dollars - and you get to reserve single seats on their scheduled flights - the difference being you are on a small plane - in some cases a turboprop - but that you don't use the main terminal so you save time by using the private aviation facilities at the airport - much quicker! However, they don't operate to Sarasota.

You might take a look at JetSmarter. Download the app and you can see what type of shuttle activity they have from the airport you are based at - Sarasota? They're membership structure and fees for flights are changing so the website might not be accurate. :roll eyes:

darwin503 Apr 19, 2018 11:07 am

Sorry, please delete.

ucfjoe Apr 29, 2018 7:21 am

Where are you based? SRQ? Do you fly to regular locations on a relatively advance schedule or is it wherever pops up on a whim? Also range is a factor. It takes legwork but going direct or cutting out a few of the regular middlemen can save you tons. There are plenty of folks that own a light jet (or turbo prop) and use it maybe ten times a year and would be happy to rent it out if you help cover their annual fixed costs. Lowest you’ll probably get is about $2,000 an hour for a jet. This is why those Cirrus’ are so popular cuz you can fly them variable cost for $120/hr but where you get hammered is on OW’s or when you have overnights because you should assume $500/day per pilot plus hotel and food and while most jets can be flown with a single pilot you might want two. This should also serve as a reminder to especially the small business owners out there that your business/umbrella providers may have somewhere very specific requirements when it to how you travel and who can travel (ie all firm principals) on the same plane

alex787 May 30, 2018 11:30 am

Checkout AURA

AURA launched yesterday. Developed by a company called ZED Aerospace. The most beautiful plane I've ever seen with fares that are super affordable--private airport to private airport.