Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

JetBlue’s Founder Joins Bid to Start Private Jet Commuter Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It looks like David Neeleman is starting some type of JetSuiteX or SurfAir type operation:

From Bloomberg:

"Neeleman, 57, is joining a plan to launch a charter air enterprise, tentatively called Azura Airways Corp., using two Bombardier CRJ-200 regional jets with as few as 16 seats"

"In coming years, roughly 1,000 of the 50-seat models from Bombardier Inc. and Embraer SA will probably be dropped from commercial fleets, said Urbahn, a former finance executive at JetBlue who also serves as TAP’s chief commercial officer. His new service with Neeleman may start picking some of them up."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mmuter-service
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24 seats, at most
as few as 16 seats

“programmed movements of people,” such as college basketball teams and the year-round heavy traffic between the Northeast and Florida

aircraft, which can be purchased used for as little as $2 million

JetBlue, which he left in 2007...He also serves as a director of JetSuite...JetBlue took an undisclosed financial stake in that company last year.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I thought most college basketball teams travel with much more than 24 people.

I guess most of the smaller Division I teams travel with 13 players, head coach, 1-2 assistant coaches, team manager, and equipment manager. Probably a few others, but there's still room for 7 more.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be multiple planes

any top teams have their own jets? offered (owner-operated) by alumni/donors?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I thought most college basketball teams travel with much more than 24 people.

I guess most of the smaller Division I teams travel with 13 players, head coach, 1-2 assistant coaches, team manager, and equipment manager. Probably a few others, but there's still room for 7 more.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
might be multiple planes

any top teams have their own jets? offered (owner-operated) by alumni/donors?
Plane for scholarship players and lead coaches. bus or other ground transport for support staff, non-scholarship pax and grad assistants. Depending on limits of the airplane, lowest on the totem pole go via ground.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The big name college programs probably need to charter 737s. Got to keep the deep-pocketed alumni happy with free flights with the team....
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The big name college programs probably need to charter 737s. Got to keep the deep-pocketed alumni happy with free flights with the team....
Michigan's basketball team (whose plane slid off the runway on takeoff) was a MD-83.

Guessing a CRJ wouldn't have met the team's needs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.