Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG/MAR Plat; National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by dordal
Can you see empty legs on 8760 without signing up? I'd looked a long time ago and that didn't seem possible, but maybe they've changed it?
I'm not 100% sure if you can see the empties on a trial. Before I signed up, a friend who was a member and showed me a few examples. The quantity seemed to be equal to or greater than that of JS (which was my other basis of comparison at the time).

Side note, but less important, the 8760 sales rep was way more professional than the JS ones I spoke with. He laid out the costs/benefits of 8760 v Wheels Up and other programs. The business model is to get you to love 8760 and upgrade to a full Wheels Up membership or charter jets more frequently via Apollo.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG/MAR Plat; National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by WhyPrivate
Just a thought... rather than spend the $7,000 every year for the opportunity to buy an empty leg at a discount (probably at a non-ideal time and date) why don't you simply spend the $ when you need a trip?

I understand the benefits of this for a heavy-user or a single person that can jump place to place at the drop of a hat .. but for any normal business/family man with obligations, the empty leg "membership" is truly a sham.
I agree with your comments re the empty leg membership not being a great value. I found the value in 8760 to be the free Inspirato Key Membership (which is worth $10k). You can essentially get this for $7k and have the option to find empties that may work for you. The partner benefits are also great - you can actually backdoor a JS three month trial via Inspirato's FoundersCard partnership.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Can you see empty legs on 8760 without signing up? I'd looked a long time ago and that didn't seem possible, but maybe they've changed it?
I think that's still the case, but you can contact their sales team for trial access. I'll be surprised if it's particularly exciting now compared to what it was before.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by novaguy16
I'm not 100% sure if you can see the empties on a trial. Before I signed up, a friend who was a member and showed me a few examples. The quantity seemed to be equal to or greater than that of JS (which was my other basis of comparison at the time).

Side note, but less important, the 8760 sales rep was way more professional than the JS ones I spoke with. He laid out the costs/benefits of 8760 v Wheels Up and other programs. The business model is to get you to love 8760 and upgrade to a full Wheels Up membership or charter jets more frequently via Apollo.
Not to go too OT, but the single biggest difference between 8760/Wheels Up and JS is the management group. One was founded and started by a successful professional who built and sustained companies over a long period of time in the industry and the other was started by a young bro with next to zero track record. Hence the current direction.....
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:54 pm

Yes, you can get the username/login from the sales team at 8760 and check out the app. It's fairly cumbersome to understand, imo, but once you get it there is some value to had for sure. Not the best app, though.

I really don't understand the value proposition for the full WU membership....the extra $10k beyond 8760 gets you.....priority when chartering? Is that it? I guess for some people that is worth it.

On a slightly related note, VistaJet seems to rolling out their own empty leg/on demand app via VistaJet Direct: https://www.vistajet.com/direct/

However, there is no way to see what is under the hood before paying the $50k to join. I asked the rep, "So, there is no way for me to know frequency, prices, airports, etc. before plopping down $50k?" He said, "That is correct."

Which just seems fairly ridiculous and uppity to me. Even the super rich would not want to pay $50k for a mystery box, even if it is with the vaunted "VistaJet" (which I've ridden on in Asia and it wasn't THAT amazing IMO).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I can only see the shared charter making any sense if people book something that coincides with a major event. I can see people dropping $2k for a seat on a non stop jet from say New York to the Kentucky Derby but I just can't see it working for random city pairs on random dates.

speaking of which didn't they once offer jetshuttles to places like that for big events?
I was hoping to see some of these pop up for the morning of the total solar eclipse. For me, this is one of those rare events where it might be appealing to pay for a shared plane...fly directly into a small airport in the path of totality, and fly back the same day, rather than schlepping from a major airport into the path, paying absurd costs for lodging, dealing with traffic, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by millions
I was hoping to see some of these pop up for the morning of the total solar eclipse. For me, this is one of those rare events where it might be appealing to pay for a shared plane...fly directly into a small airport in the path of totality, and fly back the same day, rather than schlepping from a major airport into the path, paying absurd costs for lodging, dealing with traffic, etc.
You better be careful what you wish for. I've a friend who's a pilot, and he said he called every airport in OR and ID the path of the eclipse, and nobody would accept any new arrivals for parking. They'll only allow drop-off and pickup, so he's decided to fly to an airport 100 miles away and try to drive the rest of the way.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:01 pm

You better be careful what you wish for. I've a friend who's a pilot, and he said he called every airport in OR and ID the path of the eclipse, and nobody would accept any new arrivals for parking. They'll only allow drop-off and pickup, so he's decided to fly to an airport 100 miles away and try to drive the rest of the way.
Not really a deal breaker for me as a passenger. The real [moderator edit] show are hotels on the 19-20 (think Super 8s for $850/nt), and driving the morning of the 21st. I'd happily fly into someplace like Salem or Corvallis Monday morning, watch the show, and then fly back out of PDX Monday night or Tuesday.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:28 am Reason: Per FT Rule 16, barring symbols, etc., to mask vulgarities, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:38 pm
Suspended

JetSmarter says it has raised more capital - doesn't say how much - but says it will use it to expand shuttle routes and flights

https://privatejetcardcomparisons.co...tal/#more-6017
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
JetSmarter says it has raised more capital - doesn't say how much - but says it will use it to expand shuttle routes and flights

https://privatejetcardcomparisons.co...tal/#more-6017
They may add few shuttles routes, but JS plan is not to expend shuttles flights.
The plan is to have more member and the same amount of fixed shuttles, then to rely on members who create their own shuttles so others can enjoy it as well. It was well explained on the old JS website.

They'll probably spend the money in online influencers, paying their employees and hopefully we'll have more JetDeals.. According to some employees comment on internet, JS have a big big cashflow problem
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: QF LTG
All the members I speak to seem to consider jetdeals to be the main event for them with shuttles really just being icing on the cake. Sadly the jetsmarter reps I speak to all think of shuttles and member initiated shuttles as the main event and jetdeals are just a nice added perk.

They are so out of touch.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
All the members I speak to seem to consider jetdeals to be the main event for them with shuttles really just being icing on the cake. Sadly the jetsmarter reps I speak to all think of shuttles and member initiated shuttles as the main event and jetdeals are just a nice added perk.

They are so out of touch.
If the company focused on being the biggest consumer of empty legs, and selling its $10-15,000/yr memberships for access to a wide network of those, and some high-demand commuter shuttles on smaller aircraft, it could've been a profitable company almost immediately. But then it's just an 8-figure company, and you don't get to enjoy models and bottles and party with celebrities with a meager 8-figure company. So more capital, more memberships, more shuttles, more hype, more hemorrhaging cash. Until the well finally runs dry.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by freq.flyer
They may add few shuttles routes, but JS plan is not to expend shuttles flights.
The plan is to have more member and the same amount of fixed shuttles, then to rely on members who create their own shuttles so others can enjoy it as well. It was well explained on the old JS website.

They'll probably spend the money in online influencers, paying their employees and hopefully we'll have more JetDeals.. According to some employees comment on internet, JS have a big big cashflow problem
I agree, but one thing you have to consider is your sample set is mostly Flyertalk users, who are frequently the type who think going to London from LA for the weekend is fun.

Quite a few of the members I've spoken to on shuttles have either never used an empty, or used them only once or twice.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Cool Fun Service!

Originally Posted by gooseman13
For the folks who are members - are you only flying empty legs/shuttles? Or have you actually booked a charter through the app?

I think it is a fun sevice, but it is definitely for a certain market. As for me, I think the empty legs are worth the price more than anything else. Generally, I have the entire plane to myself. So instead of paying the $15K I might have, I get the empty leg for free going to a destination I was going to already. The shuttles are fun, if you don't have to pay for them. I know some people do - and they can be quite costly I hear. But it is definitely a fun service, especially for the spontaneous traveler!!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by mike.macrone
I think it is a fun sevice, but it is definitely for a certain market. As for me, I think the empty legs are worth the price more than anything else. Generally, I have the entire plane to myself. So instead of paying the $15K I might have, I get the empty leg for free going to a destination I was going to already. The shuttles are fun, if you don't have to pay for them. I know some people do - and they can be quite costly I hear. But it is definitely a fun service, especially for the spontaneous traveler!!
Where are you flying to/from that you generally have the plane to yourself? It has been a long time since I've had the whole plane, and even if the Mrs. and I are traveling together and quickly snag 6 seats on a midsize, we invariably end up with the other two seats filled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.