Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by millions
The numbers are never going to make sense to recoup the cost of the scheduled longer shuttles, and they will never get enough members to pay what's needed to maintain just shorter shuttles - certainly not he 90 minute, no wifi flights between Hawthorne and the Bay Area; there are already better options out there. And certainly not enough members to maintain theirs and some analysts' pie-in-the-sky vision of their valuation.
I'm not so sure on that second part. SurfAir has a very good business running the CA shuttles at about $2K a month ( $24K / year ). If JS were to come in with a product that's one quarter the cost, and one quarter the number of shuttles, it would probably pull a lot of people in. In fact, they already have, and it has... simple membership for $5K. And that's with 10 flights a week SF<->LA. SurfAir has 90 flights a day intra-calfornia. So they're 1/4 the cost, but far less than 1/4 the flights.

I do agree on the long-haul, though. The timesavings isn't material, the plane is cramped, and it costs them something like $25K per one way for the GIV. Doesn't make any sense.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dordal
I'm not so sure on that second part. SurfAir has a very good business running the CA shuttles at about $2K a month ( $24K / year ). If JS were to come in with a product that's one quarter the cost, and one quarter the number of shuttles, it would probably pull a lot of people in. In fact, they already have, and it has... simple membership for $5K. And that's with 10 flights a week SF<->LA. SurfAir has 90 flights a day intra-calfornia. So they're 1/4 the cost, but far less than 1/4 the flights.

I do agree on the long-haul, though. The timesavings isn't material, the plane is cramped, and it costs them something like $25K per one way for the GIV. Doesn't make any sense.
I'm not sure you're comparing apples to apples, as SurfAir ONLY operates in California, flying single engine PC-12, which they own with their own pilots, from their own fixed bases (or fly exclusively--I'm not sure the FAR rules on owner/operator, but they are planes dedicated to Surf Air). The price differential is also +$15-20k.

Everything I have read on JS says they're not getting much, if any, discount to market charters. I assume this goes for short haul as well.

Just saying, much different operating models and cost structures.

Also I don't know how SA is doing financially. They've taken just shy of $20mm according to Crunchbase.

Good service, I use it on a corporate account. Though I love flying those planes, even on the short OAK->Hawthorne route a full plane is cramped.

[Edit on grammar]
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by js112
I understand they had another funding round (aka free money) a little over half a year ago, but I'm concerned that all these red flags mean it's the beginning of the end.
Alas, somebody that gets it.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by C W
Is there any fine print or more information for the status match offer?

Are they matching the highest published status levels or only the truly highest levels like UA GS, DL360 etc?
I sent an email asking if my BA Gold gets it! No response yet...
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:28 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Fraser
I sent an email asking if my BA Gold gets it! No response yet...
After speaking with them myself it seems as though they're taking the highest published status level from major carriers without regard to how difficult they or the penultimate level are to earn. This is, of course, a big disadvantage to fliers of airlines with ultra-high status levels like BA GGL, DL DM, and LH HON. While they wouldn't match my 75k Delta Platinum, they would match Alaska 75k MVP
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by C W
After speaking with them myself it seems as though they're taking the highest published status level from major carriers without regard to how difficult they or the penultimate level are to earn. This is, of course, a big disadvantage to fliers of airlines with ultra-high status levels like BA GGL, DL DM, and LH HON. While they wouldn't match my 75k Delta Platinum, they would match Alaska 75k MVP
That was half a thought I had....but it made me wonder how much they know about the different status levels, particularly at foreign airlines. Keeping this status match for AA CK, LH HON Circle etc. makes sense.

If you look at the BA Executive Club website Gold is the highest earning level. There's not really much from BA.com if you do a quick search for "Gold Guest List", similar with DL 360.

I also did wonder if BA Gold needed more of an explanation in my email, because if someoen thinks BA Gold and AA Gold are equivalent, well....
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:48 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Fraser
That was half a thought I had....but it made me wonder how much they know about the different status levels, particularly at foreign airlines. Keeping this status match for AA CK, LH HON Circle etc. makes sense.

If you look at the BA Executive Club website Gold is the highest earning level. There's not really much from BA.com if you do a quick search for "Gold Guest List", similar with DL 360.

I also did wonder if BA Gold needed more of an explanation in my email, because if someoen thinks BA Gold and AA Gold are equivalent, well....
I certainly think they should match BA Gold, after all that's OWE where most OW programs top out. That said, GGL has published qualification criteria unlike DL 360. I would call, their salespeople are nice and helpful.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Jetsmarter just activated my Simple trial after I showed them my 2M miles balance with AA. They gave me a call and sent me a $1 invoice. Rep walked me through their different membership tiers. Excited to try the service and might upgrade to their higher membership if this is as good as advertised. Seems that simple membership is a little restrictive but smart way for people to try it out.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by knicksplayer
Jetsmarter just activated my Simple trial after I showed them my 2M miles balance with AA. They gave me a call and sent me a $1 invoice. Rep walked me through their different membership tiers. Excited to try the service and might upgrade to their higher membership if this is as good as advertised. Seems that simple membership is a little restrictive but smart way for people to try it out.
When did you submit? I haven’t heard back yet
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:03 am

Thumbs down

Fake news from Jetsmarter ? They've announced last year a 50M deal with Globeair over 5 years for empty legs flights, and now they're telling us that they're no longer working with Globeair. That's weird.. Something is definitely going on with Jetsmarter.

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-rel...531194441.html

http://www.charterbroker.aero/mag_st...ml?ident=12144
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Westin
When did you submit? I haven’t heard back yet
An hour after they sent that email offer on Saturday. Probably in the first few applicants.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by knicksplayer
An hour after they sent that email offer on Saturday. Probably in the first few applicants.
I think they Gimped the SOFLO- NYC route for us trial members. Makes us pay for that route but normally for simple members its free correct?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Westin.
I think they Gimped the SOFLO- NYC route for us trial members. Makes us pay for that route but normally for simple members its free correct?
The "simple" membership requires paying for all shuttle flights longer than 3 hours in length, as well as the NY->South Florida route.

It sounds like the trial is the standard simple membership.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Sykes
The "simple" membership requires paying for all shuttle flights longer than 3 hours in length, as well as the NY->South Florida route.

It sounds like the trial is the standard simple membership.
Got it thanks! Do they still do Heli transfers? I have a 1k flight credit from an old promo but idk if can use it on that
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Westin.
Got it thanks! Do they still do Heli transfers? I have a 1k flight credit from an old promo but idk if can use it on that
Currently helicopter transfers are suspended. They stay that they'll be returning at some point in the future, but haven't had any official announcements at all.

The prices for the helicopter transfers, when they do return, has increased to $395 per person to/from HPN, and $249 (I think?) per person to/from TEB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.