Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
This article claims the policy is illegal:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jetsmarter-...ervice-1610036

I wonder if any lawyers have a viewpoint on some of the other elements in the Jetsmarter contracts that have been discussed here?

Would they hold up in court?
I wrote the following last month....

For what it's worth, I showed this thread to my in-house GC yesterday while we were sitting with the cattle waiting to board a commercial flight. He was adamant that, while needing to see the whole document to make a more informed decision, the non-disparagement clause would almost certainly not hold up in a well-placed suit.

He indicated JS would need to prove that the disparaging remarks were both hurtful to the company and their business as well as exaggerated or incorrect in some way. Or, that the remarks made were intended to directly harm the business, above and beyond complaining about personal experience. He referred to the clause as a gatekeeper. Likely has no teeth, but acts as a deterrent.

As also noted above, he said that if a member is based in CA, OR if a member has something like this occur while physically IN CA, JS is likely in a bad spot if action is taken.

All of this with his qualification that he's dealing with 20% of the information.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:47 am

It's really interesting to read everything happening to JetSmarter right now. And sad if true. The news coverage as per elitetraveler's last post may actually only be the tip of the iceberg . A buddy of mine sent me this:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170304/10304636836/pr-stupid-jetsmarter-will-charge-journalists-2000-if-they-dont-write-positive-reviews.shtml

This suggests there's a gag order buried in the contract customers sign up to - customers aren't allowed to criticise the service they use, just like the reporters. Is that true?! Or...yes... legal?! I've seen some of the previous posts on the company here but was still considering signing up. Now I'm wavering. Don't think I like this approach to customer service, nor want the hassle (or cost) of the membership. I'm going to look around some more.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: A3*S, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, BWR Diamond
They are closing :

Zurich-London
Paris-Milan
Geneva-Paris
Zurich-Munich
Munich-London

"You will still have the option to create your own shuttle" blablabla
Beginning of the end ?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by larchens
They are closing :

Zurich-London
Paris-Milan
Geneva-Paris
Zurich-Munich
Munich-London

"You will still have the option to create your own shuttle" blablabla
Beginning of the end ?
How were you informed of this? I didn't get an email, and I took two of those (annoyingly full) shuttles just over a week ago.

This is rough for those members in Zurich and Paris, even those wise and responsible ones, who, like cakiwi performed "due diligence prior to sign up [that] vetted specifically which shuttle flights originated near where [they] travel from often."
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: A3*S, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, BWR Diamond
I saw it this morning as I wanted to book a Geneva-Paris
I asked them via the message center..
They say they are closing due poor demand of members
They will never send you an email for this, communication could be improved
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, TK Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by larchens
I saw it this morning as I wanted to book a Geneva-Paris
I asked them via the message center..
They say they are closing due poor demand of members
They will never send you an email for this, communication could be improved
Not a good reasons as those shuttles are a lot used by members ! More members are joining now in europe thanks to their "Simple" membership which allows shuttles flights.

It's crazy, they should increase flights not decrease them..
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DLH441
It's crazy, they should increase flights not decrease them..
Ah, the old lose money on every flight but hope to make it up in volume strategy?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Cap Kenlou
It's really interesting to read everything happening to JetSmarter right now. And sad if true. The news coverage as per elitetraveler's last post may actually only be the tip of the iceberg . A buddy of mine sent me this:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-reviews.shtml

This suggests there's a gag order buried in the contract customers sign up to - customers aren't allowed to criticise the service they use, just like the reporters. Is that true?! Or...yes... legal?! I've seen some of the previous posts on the company here but was still considering signing up. Now I'm wavering. Don't think I like this approach to customer service, nor want the hassle (or cost) of the membership. I'm going to look around some more.
certainly not legal. but they are likely counting on critics not wanting to go through the hassle of a legal dispute (or credit card chargeback as it seems)
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:41 pm

Extreme third-hand account that should be taken with several grains of salt:

"I had drinks on Wednesday with a guy who owns a private jet company. He said JetSmarter raised $250m and is trying to sell for $500m before they run out of money"

FWIW
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:53 pm

I did not renew my membership, but am thinking strongly about the $5k per year empty legs + short shuttles option. Seems like a great deal, honestly. Pretty much get all the perks except transcon shuttles.

One of my biggest beefs with JS during my membership year:

I signed up under a special promotion that offered a lowered initiation fee plus "an extra seat on one shuttle flight" if I joined that day. I joined that day.

Low and behold, towards the end of membership year, I emailed JS to redeem my free seat with a buddy.

"Dear XXX, I'm not sure what you are referring to. This is not something we offer to members. You are welcomed to use flight credits towards a seat for a guest. Best, "

WHAT??!?!? Ok, ok. Deep breath. He probably just forgot. Forwarded the email.

"I have just been informed from the Director of Shuttle Operations that the promotion is no longer valid."

WHAT??!?!?!?!?!

Ok, fair enough. Maybe there was an expiration date that I missed. An expiration date would be fair. THERE WAS NO EXPIRATION DATE.

I politely asked to show me where, in writing, it stated this expired. I simply got a snarky email saying, "This promotion expired a long time ago." Ummm sure, maybe you stopped offering it, but I TOOK THE PROMOTION, we entered a contract. This is not rocket science.

THIS MADE ME F**** FURIOUS. It's the feeling of being cheated and lied to. Slimy, slimy, slimy. They never made it right. They stated the promotion was only good for short flights, etc. but NEVER showed me where this was stated upon entering the agreement.

Ugh, relitigating this pisses me off again. Now that they can't yank my membership, these guys are slimy AF
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dval44
THIS MADE ME F**** FURIOUS. It's the feeling of being cheated and lied to. Slimy, slimy, slimy. They never made it right.

these guys are slimy AF
Yet, you want to give them more money?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Yet, you want to give them more money?
LOL. That did seem a little strange.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. That did seem a little strange.
Haha I hear you. Got more worked up as my post went on.

Honestly, though, if there is an empty leg to somewhere you want to go, and sign up that day, then you have effectively paid $5k to fly with your friend/sig other on a private jet, and have another 364 days to try and maximize the membership.

All things considered, that is actually a fantastic deal, even if you are expecting horrible customer service, imminent demise, etc.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:25 am

Has anyone heard what the plan is for the Asia/Latin America rollout? Wondering if it will happen this year or not...
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by timsparks
Has anyone heard what the plan is for the Asia/Latin America rollout? Wondering if it will happen this year or not...
Just a guess but possible for Asia maybe a 50/50 chance by end of q2, and not likely for Latin America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.