Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
Its not just prohibited by policy alone--it's outright illegal to consume any alcohol that is not "served" by the operator of the flight (14 CFR 135.121(a)). Having said that, I don't imagine that they'd care much.
Sure, maybe the pilots wouldn't care if one violates the law and policy. But then, maybe they would. Or at least chalk it up as another example of JetSmarter members misbehaving.

What would be really great for this $1 billion+ company ( ) to do would be to have its concierge be prepared to cater JetDeals when requested at reasonable fees, rather than seem flummoxed by a simple request for a bottle of wine, and then ultimately offer a $35 bottle for $165. (I was prepared to pay more than the retail price, and it's not like the money would break me, but you have to draw a line somewhere.)
Old Dec 24, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP, UA GS. Marriott Plat
While I wish JS success, the notional concept of commoditizing corporate aircraft has limits and 50 discount on hourly cost is among them
Old Dec 24, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by G550capt
While I wish JS success, the notional concept of commoditizing corporate aircraft has limits and 50 discount on hourly cost is among them
Do you think that is the JS model? To get flight hours at 50% discount? Even half price makes me wonder if they have enough revenue to cover that.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by Sykes
Its not just prohibited by policy alone--it's outright illegal to consume any alcohol that is not "served" by the operator of the flight (14 CFR 135.121(a)). Having said that, I don't imagine that they'd care much.
Fair point about the JS rule, although was not enforced when I brought my own to drink on a shuttle once. Aside from JS policy the CFR doesn't mean you can't bring your own. Having said that I've had drinks on empties on multiple carriers where I have just served myself, in fact I can't ever recall a pilot serving me a drink they've just offered to help myself.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:54 pm

London

I'm a happy JetSmarter member and considering flying to London in January. Question I have for anyone who has flown it is what are the advantages/disadvantages to flying this over Air France first class or British Air or Virgin? Seats do not lie flat on JetSmarter which is not good but what is the situation with customs especially coming back into Westchester? Are the flights quiet? Any other help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Smicken
I'm a happy JetSmarter member and considering flying to London in January. Question I have for anyone who has flown it is what are the advantages/disadvantages to flying this over Air France first class or British Air or Virgin? Seats do not lie flat on JetSmarter which is not good but what is the situation with customs especially coming back into Westchester? Are the flights quiet? Any other help would be appreciated.
I've heard the straight comparison from a cost/benefit perspective in the London flights is just not there for JS. The service level including pre and post boarding for regular and generally speaking daily flights in first class is far superior to having to helicopter first to Westchester and then land in Luton or vice versa. By the time you actually reach Manhattan or Kensington the time saving is negligible. Not having lie flat is clearly a disadvantage. If they capped the internationals to 6 people maybe it would work where each person who wants to, could lie down but a Gulfstream 450 vs a wide body jet is a poor comparison. One is small and narrow, one is roomy and spacious. At the price and all things considered, for me there is no question. First class commercial all the way.

Last edited by T-15.01; Dec 26, 2016 at 4:42 pm Reason: .
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by Smicken
I can only speak on the Westchester to Luton flight, it was rather pleasant. As far as if it is worth it, for myself, the answer is yes if it's half full, no otherwise. There were four of us on board and I was able to stretch out and the FA had gotten a request ahead of time to make up beds for two of the passengers on board. Clearing customs at Luton was nothing at all; a woman boarded the flight, asked for my passport, then said ok have a good night! I called an UberX and an hour and 42.86 later I was at my hotel, Grosvenor House in Mayfair. Ahead of the flight I had to send a scanned copy of my passport and a Remote Clearance Form from UK Border Force. I suspect there is a similar setup entering the US. Flight time to London was around 6 hours.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Townshend
I can only speak on the Westchester to Luton flight, it was rather pleasant. As far as if it is worth it, for myself, the answer is yes if it's half full, no otherwise. There were four of us on board and I was able to stretch out and the FA had gotten a request ahead of time to make up beds for two of the passengers on board. Clearing customs at Luton was nothing at all; a woman boarded the flight, asked for my passport, then said ok have a good night! I called an UberX and an hour and 42.86 later I was at my hotel, Grosvenor House in Mayfair. Ahead of the flight I had to send a scanned copy of my passport and a Remote Clearance Form from UK Border Force. I suspect there is a similar setup entering the US. Flight time to London was around 6 hours.
Could you elaborate on this? I'd never heard of this before, does it only apply to private flights? Or can you do it for normal commercial flights to bypass the customs lines?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:44 pm

I'm not sure if you can do it commercially, though you can try reaching out to the Border Force and asking. The form is the same one that can be found here: http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/...nClearance.pdf

Commercially, I'm a Registered Traveller in the UK otherwise.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Wow, just went through my msg history... of empty leg flights I've booked, I'm 2 of 6 in Q4. Fully 66% have been cancelled by the operator.

Two for maintenance, and two for schedule changes (e.g. 'Your reservation was not confirmed.') Only two actually flew.

I really hope it gets better In Q1 next year. The amount of effort that goes into planning for an empty leg (hotels, car, flight home, etc.) isn't worth it w/o better reliability.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by dordal
Wow, just went through my msg history... of empty leg flights I've booked, I'm 2 of 6 in Q4. Fully 66% have been cancelled by the operator.

Two for maintenance, and two for schedule changes (e.g. 'Your reservation was not confirmed.') Only two actually flew.

I really hope it gets better In Q1 next year. The amount of effort that goes into planning for an empty leg (hotels, car, flight home, etc.) isn't worth it w/o better reliability.
that's pretty good IMHO. 2 free flights you'd otherwise never have access to.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by cakiwi
that's pretty good IMHO. 2 free flights you'd otherwise never have access to.
Oh, they were free? I actually had to pay initiation and membership fees.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by millions
Well, took another one today, which went, so that's 3/7 for Q4. Still, I think that rate needs to improve next year for me to want to renew. Well, unless the renewal is free, @cakiwi.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by millions
Splitting hairs. I view JS membership fee as being for shuttles, which confirm in some cases months in advance, immediately. You can say membership (and therefore the associated costs) also should 'guarantee' and instantly or latterly confirm seats on empty legs, that JS gives you access to see, but I think that's drawing a long bow. Empty legs rarely instantly confirm, if they confirm at all, they are by nature last minute, and extreme caution should be used when 'requesting' a seat or seats on such repositioning aircraft. I count myself lucky to ever get confirmed on a single one of these and figure it enhances my membership value, rather than seeing an empty I have requested that doesn't eventuate as taking away value from my membership. The old 'social' membership which was ultimately pitched at those who wanted only empty leg access might have been more up your alley? Or even better, a founders card membership which gives 3 months access to 1 seat empty leg access on JS is even better! Do you know of any other company that offers you an ability to access multiple operator empty repositioning flights at no incremental cost to your existing membership with them?

Last edited by T-15.01; Dec 31, 2016 at 7:28 pm Reason: .
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by cakiwi
Splitting hairs. Your membership fee is for shuttles. And access to empty legs. Empty legs are by definition being repositioned and if you ever get on a single one, via JetSmarter you should count yourself lucky.... To imply the value of membership diminishes if you don't confirm on them implies your membership basis was for empty legs (some or all of it....). Which other company offers you an ability to access multiple operator empty repositioning flights at no incremental cost?
Many here signed up before shuttles were available--for a good while, their only offering was empty legs--and as recently as July they offered a membership that consisted solely of empty legs. A good number of us still consider the empty legs to be the primary value--I personally much prefer a spontaneous adventure on an empty leg to cramming myself knee-to-knee 12-tight in a G IV. I only consider shuttles to be icing on the cake. The vast majority of people I run into on empty leg flights rarely fly shuttles.

We each value different aspects of the service differently. I'd happily give up shuttles for more reliable empty legs if the exchange enabled more reliable empty legs, but obviously that isn't something that they can actually offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.