Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:57 pm
JTP

Math does not work.

Originally Posted by dval44
<div style="text-align:left;">Prolly something simirlar to DPJ’s “Sky access” program which is not ideal.<br /><br />If someone harnesses their tech and just aggregated the empties I would def pay for that. Something like their empty leg program in 2016 when they had 5+ operators</div>
<br /><br />
Originally Posted by EricSM
<div style="text-align:left;"><br />Clearly they are going after an entirely new market of people willing to pay higher than first class seating to avoid TSA lines, get to the airport an hour later, and sit on a cramped plane getting offered inedible food by a disinterested flight attendant. I just don’t see how it possibly can work.</div>
<br /><br />Folks, why no-one is connecting the dots: <br />1. An article in Verge - operators are not offering empty legs at substantially discounted rates to JS. <br />2. Empty legs that are scheduled and almost always delayed (due to meeting running late or dinner) are not practical for shuttle runs.<br />3. The model has changed: (Google Jetsmarter Branded Gulfstream). If you look at operating costs proposal from JetEdge that now has leaked to the public. Even at the $1500/each way, G-IV will not even cover the trip cost of NY-FLL at 10 capacity you are not covering the basic operating cost of $16,122 and that is non-charter operation. When you add charter certification requirements for pilots etc. you are at about 18K cost. (Google G-IV Operating Cost per hour from Aircraft Cost Calculator). I hate to rain on your parade, but in addition to AirStream articles, and Verge writeup, the lawsuits are popping up and the cash must be burning up. If you run public data report from DOT, look at JS flights from foreflight (matched to their offering data in the app) and then price it from the same operators you end up with a number of X dollars. Let's consider the publicly claimed numbers of members in these reports and assume a growth rate that Petrosov publicly announced year over year. We get membership fees in the number of Y. Finally, there are on-demand charters produced by JS for members and margins there are about 10-18% based on an interview with JS employee who was very local on LinkedIn recently. You will get an additional number of Z. I am sure, some forensic accountant will soon reveal an exact number, but for now, all of the above minus expenses scream red ink. <br /><br />My day job is to analyze data for private aviation charter company, I like to stay anonymous to keep my job. But this data is public, just takes a bit of knowledge and tools to put it together. <br /><br />And for the posters who have hopes, there may be a solution, but it will come from the collective thoughts of the operators and not an outside broker/aggregator.<br />
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Wheels Up, American Airlines, Jetmembership.com, Delta, Jetblue, Marriott
Originally Posted by jtp
<br /><br /><br /><br />folks, why no-one is connecting the dots: <br />1. An article in verge - operators are not offering empty legs at substantially discounted rates to js. <br />2. Empty legs that are scheduled and almost always delayed (due to meeting running late or dinner) are not practical for shuttle runs.<br />3. The model has changed: (google jetsmarter branded gulfstream). If you look at operating costs proposal from jetedge that now has leaked to the public. Even at the $1500/each way, g-iv will not even cover the trip cost of ny-fll at 10 capacity you are not covering the basic operating cost of $16,122 and that is non-charter operation. When you add charter certification requirements for pilots etc. You are at about 18k cost. (google g-iv operating cost per hour from aircraft cost calculator). I hate to rain on your parade, but in addition to airstream articles, and verge writeup, the lawsuits are popping up and the cash must be burning up. If you run public data report from dot, look at js flights from foreflight (matched to their offering data in the app) and then price it from the same operators you end up with a number of x dollars. Let's consider the publicly claimed numbers of members in these reports and assume a growth rate that petrosov publicly announced year over year. We get membership fees in the number of y. Finally, there are on-demand charters produced by js for members and margins there are about 10-18% based on an interview with js employee who was very local on linkedin recently. You will get an additional number of z. I am sure, some forensic accountant will soon reveal an exact number, but for now, all of the above minus expenses scream red ink. <br /><br />my day job is to analyze data for private aviation charter company, i like to stay anonymous to keep my job. But this data is public, just takes a bit of knowledge and tools to put it together. <br /><br />and for the posters who have hopes, there may be a solution, but it will come from the collective thoughts of the operators and not an outside broker/aggregator.<br />
this is spot on
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: donluneburg
I cancelled my Membership yesterday in righting, when they refused to honor my plan and then I also canceled 4 A/E charges from JS for $4500 they charged me after I cancelled the flights. I had an issue once before with credits not returned from them. Now looking with two other friends and 6 memberships to join or start an action.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:26 pm

By the time any action winds it’s way through court this company will be long gone.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: donluneburg
You maybe right. I researched the NJ Jackson case and it appears they are going he Arbitration route? I called a Florida attorney friend and he is reviewing if it has merit, for a small group I know.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Centurion, Inspirato, jetmembership.com, Mandarin Oriental, Hertz Gold Plus
If the arbitration clause on jetsmarter's contract is valid (which it might not be, i'll leave that to the lawyers) then these two things are legal 101:

1. A MEMBER CANNOT SUE JETSMARTER IN COURT
2. JETSMARTER CAN'T SUE A MEMBER IN COURT

An arbitration doesn't mean you don't have options, but it will likely be held in private, and the results will be kept private, and you cannot appeal a decision.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by donluneburg
You maybe right. I researched the NJ Jackson case and it appears they are going he Arbitration route? I called a Florida attorney friend and he is reviewing if it has merit, for a small group I know.
Just saw this - The Jacksons lawyer says it was settled:

(August 15, 2018 – The attorney representing the Jacksons tells Private Jet Card Comparisons that the case did not go to arbitration, but was amicably settled. He declined additional comment)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:42 pm

Amicably settled = they were refunded their money
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:24 pm

Did anyone on this thread sign up for Delta Private Jets Sky Access? I'm very close to signing up, would love to have at least one member's input before I pull the trigger. Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Did anyone on this thread sign up for Delta Private Jets Sky Access? I'm very close to signing up, would love to have at least one member's input before I pull the trigger. Thanks!
I've know of one person who's signed up for it who reports that when the plane actually flies, its great, but said he got hit with 5 cancellations in a row within a month. All depends on how flexible you can be, and if you're ok with not booking hotels/return travel until you're in the air. If I was based in ATL/MSP/SLC I'd probably bite, but it doesn't have great coverage in California and most of the west.
dval44 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I've know of one person who's signed up for it who reports that when the plane actually flies, its great, but said he got hit with 5 cancellations in a row within a month. All depends on how flexible you can be, and if you're ok with not booking hotels/return travel until you're in the air. If I was based in ATL/MSP/SLC I'd probably bite, but it doesn't have great coverage in California and most of the west.
Im MSP based but havent seen enough flights out of here for me to justify it
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

JetSmarter is adding a desktop booking capability

JetSmarter connects fliers to more than 300 weekly shared flights with over 800 air carrier partners globally and routes to and from 170+ countries worldwide. The platform will soon be adding desktop booking capabilities to provide on-demand searching and booking flexibility.
​​​​​​​Source: JetSmarter press release
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...omy-1027471450
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:18 pm

Yeah, they love to issue press releases. I remember almost two years ago when they announced with great excitement their plans to open office in New York and LA:

"Opening offices in New York and Los Angeles this year represents a big step forward in our growth, as we invest in two of our most important markets and continue to add talent to our team," said Sergey Petrossov, Founder and CEO of JetSmarter.
Still waiting.

The skeptical might wonder if their latest release isn't just an attempt to push their recent bad press down the search result pages.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:38 pm

I notice JetSmarter's former President and CFO Gennady Barsky has been very active hyping the company

Does anyone have any information about the status of his criminal case?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by millions
I notice JetSmarter's former President and CFO Gennady Barsky has been very active hyping the company on Twitter recently.

Does anyone have any information about the status of his criminal case?
He lists himself as co-founder of JetSmarter in that press release. Seems curious to me. If I had a multi-billion dollar golden unicorn startup I would try to keep fraudsters away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.