FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation-754/)
-   -   JetSmarter - discussion and experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-air-travel-including-private-non-airline-aviation/1747464-jetsmarter-discussion-experiences.html)

Sykes Jul 7, 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 28532867)
Any feedback on how often empty legs are cancelled? Considering booking one for tomorrow, but it requires some positioning so I'd hate to book a flight only to be stranded as the result of a cancellation.

There are a few things that can happen. JetSmarter changed their contracts with their empty leg operators earlier this year, so the outcomes have changed significantly for each of the events:

Everything goes as expected: ~50% for me this year
Canceled because of a schedule change: ~30% for me this year
Canceled due to a maintenance issue: ~20% for me this year

When a flight is canceled due to a schedule change, JetSmarter now arranges alternate transportation if it's within the confirmation period (which now appears to be 24 hours before the flight). That alternate transportation is either a replacement charter or a commercial plane ticket. Prior to earlier this year, JetSmarter made no service recovery for most schedule changes.

When a flight is canceled due to a maintenance issue or weather, JetSmarter considers that an "issue outside of their control", and they do not provide service recovery.

I'd generally hesitate before positioning myself in order to catch an empty leg, although I'm more willing to do it now than I was before they made the change with regard to schedule changes.

tylerc Jul 7, 2017 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes (Post 28532951)
There are a few things that can happen. JetSmarter changed their contracts with their empty leg operators earlier this year, so the outcomes have changed significantly for each of the events:

Everything goes as expected: ~50% for me this year
Canceled because of a schedule change: ~30% for me this year
Canceled due to a maintenance issue: ~20% for me this year

When a flight is canceled due to a schedule change, JetSmarter now arranges alternate transportation if it's within the confirmation period (which now appears to be 24 hours before the flight). That alternate transportation is either a replacement charter or a commercial plane ticket. Prior to earlier this year, JetSmarter made no service recovery for most schedule changes.

When a flight is canceled due to a maintenance issue or weather, JetSmarter considers that an "issue outside of their control", and they do not provide service recovery.

I'd generally hesitate before positioning myself in order to catch an empty leg, although I'm more willing to do it now than I was before they made the change with regard to schedule changes.

Very interesting - thanks everyone that is providing feedback!

PbodyPhoto Jul 7, 2017 6:37 pm

The way I look at it is if I need to book a positioning flight I better be happy being stuck at that point for the weekend. Luckily for me there hasn't been a city I have been to that I can't enjoy for 36 hours.

invalyd Jul 7, 2017 8:11 pm

Anyone know how volatile 'member initiated' shuttles are? Are they as prone to last minute cancellations as the empty legs, or pretty concrete once scheduled?

Sykes Jul 7, 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd (Post 28533349)
Anyone know how volatile 'member initiated' shuttles are? Are they as prone to last minute cancellations as the empty legs, or pretty concrete once scheduled?

They're generally reliable. The shuttles are full-fledged paid charter flights. Occasionally wether or maintenance will cause delays or cancellations (just like with an airline), but JS will generally take care of you on a shuttle.

DOT public charter regulations prohibit cancellation within 10 days of departure unless circumstances make it physically impossible to operate the flight (14 CFR 380.12(a))

T-15.01 Jul 7, 2017 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by cakiwi (Post 28528030)
no. not worried. I've not seen shuttles 3 months out, ever. 2 months yes - so typically at this time of month, the August ones would post too. Most of the EU shuttles are already there for August and have been as of late June. The USA ones not there right now, but should be in the next few days as I understand. I'd be more worried if they weren't ever going to post August shuttles, but anyone saying that is assuming without any fact.

Most of the shuttles up. As I said they would be within a few days. I got that wrong. It was only one day. Go book some flights all those who were waiting!

Nicoolio Jul 7, 2017 10:52 pm

Some JetSmarter news

- The empty legs with XOJET and TMC appear to be safe per XOJET CEO Brad Stewart
- XOJET CEO Brad Stewart left the board of JetSmarter at the end of August
- They are making a big announcement on Tuesday "“rolling out a huge new feature for charter customers, allowing people to book charters by the seat to any destination globally, not just amongst shuttle cities.”

micky123 Jul 8, 2017 5:26 am

Shuttles still not up for August in US

What are you talking about?

The only Shuttles that are up are is the Chicago one.

Not even the Florida to NYC shuttle are up and that is by fare the most used an most profitable routes for JS. Something is up.

I just heard that XOJET is competting with them and pulling their jets.

CUE theme from JAWS>

Originally Posted by cakiwi (Post 28533631)
Most of the shuttles up. As I said they would be within a few days. I got that wrong. It was only one day. Go book some flights all those who were waiting!

tylerc Jul 8, 2017 5:31 am

Sorry, bit of a silly question, but if I'm departing from Canada on an empty leg, where do I clear customer? At TEB or YOW??

Also, having not booked an empty leg, what's the confirmation process like? I need to book an award flight to position, and I'd hate to book the empty leg and wait for confirmation before booking the positioning flight. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get a sense of whether it's relatively safe to book all at once, or if waiting for the confirmation is a must because they often don't end up being confirmed??

SFO777 Jul 8, 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 28534320)
Sorry, bit of a silly question, but if I'm departing from Canada on an empty leg, where do I clear customer? At TEB or YOW??

TEB

T-15.01 Jul 8, 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by micky123 (Post 28534314)
What are you talking about?

The only Shuttles that are up are is the Chicago one.

Not even the Florida to NYC shuttle are up and that is by fare the most used an most profitable routes for JS. Something is up.

I just heard that XOJET is competting with them and pulling their jets.

CUE theme from JAWS>

Refresh your app or something. They're up.

PbodyPhoto Jul 8, 2017 9:59 am

Originally Posted by tylerc (Post 28534320)

Also, having not booked an empty leg, what's the confirmation process like? I need to book an award flight to position, and I'd hate to book the empty leg and wait for confirmation before booking the positioning flight. Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get a sense of whether it's relatively safe to book all at once, or if waiting for the confirmation is a must because they often don't end up being confirmed??

1) empty leg appears in app
2) you hit book
3) they almost immediately send a request for pax names
4) they contact the operator and within 30-60 minutes max have confirmation that it will operate
5) they send you an invoice for $0, at that point you are on the hook for cancelation fees and they are on the hook to reacomadate if there is a schedule change
6) book your positioning flights

micky123 Jul 8, 2017 10:46 am

no shuttles in august

There are no shuttles on NYC to FL route for August.

Originally Posted by cakiwi (Post 28534763)

micky123 Jul 8, 2017 10:46 am

No Shuttles

CAWIKI

Paste a screen shot of your app showing the FL routes for August.

Originally Posted by cakiwi (Post 28534763)

dval44 Jul 8, 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio (Post 28533693)
- The empty legs with XOJET and TMC appear to be safe per XOJET CEO Brad Stewart
- XOJET CEO Brad Stewart left the board of JetSmarter at the end of August
- They are making a big announcement on Tuesday "“rolling out a huge new feature for charter customers, allowing people to book charters by the seat to any destination globally, not just amongst shuttle cities.”

https://privatejetcardcomparisons.co...now/#more-5153

WOW Brad Stewart left. XOJet is a legitimate company that should have never been in bed with JS. Makes sense, though surprising it took this long.

President left and indicted for crimes, Delta Private Jets left, JetEdge empties left, Brad Stewart left the board, JetLynx left, SecondHome left. It's time to wake up, my friends. The ship is sinking.

If this was a stock, I exited my position last year (ended membership), and would now be shorting.

Brad only said empties were a "commercial agreement," but no word on how long that agreement will last. Once the XO/TMC empties are gone, there are zero empties stateside.

I would be VERY cautious with them at this point.