Community
Wiki Posts
Search

experience with private or charter jets?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

experience with private or charter jets?

Does anyone have any experience with private or charter jets? Ive only ever flown major commercial lines and have been hearing more and more about private jets looking to fill an "empty leg". There are several apps for your phone where you can find a flight. However, I like to know what Im getting into before I leap into something like that.

What are the pros and cons of private or charter flights?

One con Ive noticed is that my local small airport only flies about 100 miles. Im in PA, so they fly to MD and western PA. (Looks like Im not going to get to FL from here.. )
Another that Ive read is that an empty leg flight can be a one way deal as they are just filling space.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:09 pm

Yes, the whole way empty leg flights works is that they're one way on super short notice, so that's naturally the downside of the "discount" deals
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I haven't done an empty leg flight but have used Jetsuite and recommended it here.

Pros:
- Much more efficient use of time. You can use the airport which is the best option don't need to arrive early for security, etc. You get the time you want - not what revenue management thinks is a good idea.
- Private - one flight was used as a sort of a celebration. We could drink, etc. and get a little rowdy without disturbing others.
- It was a totally different level of experience.

The only major con is the price makes it something I can't do as frequently as I would like (even at Jetsuite's rates which are lower than a normal charter or owning a private plane). If I was independently wealthy I would do it all the time.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by gra2172

One con Ive noticed is that my local small airport only flies about 100 miles.
You're lucky that your airport can fly at all, every airport I've been to has been stuck on the ground

Flying private can be an amazing opportunity if you can afford it. Living in PA, if you could get over to NY you could take advantage of Jetsuites frequent deals from that area. Since empty-legs are usually last-minute and always one-way, you could book a return flight from Florida for a couple weekends in a row using Southwest points and then if an opportunity comes up you can jump aboard.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems like everyone doing the cheap/free deals didnt look into safety records?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
See SFO777's rather excellent trip reports on JetSmarter. And there's a few on Jetsuite as well. And there are many more empty legs on the market than just those two online apps- just at higher pricing.

I'm not sure I really care that much about a 4 seat light jet, other than just as a bucket list thing. But then, the only legs that have come up at MSY are routes already very well served commercially, like MSY-DAL.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:25 pm

One thing is if you divide the whole plane cost by the total number of seats, it definitely becomes a much better value proposition... like calling a taxi for 1 person vs 4 people compared to public transit
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:13 pm
Suspended

They're nice, but I don't know how you'd book an entire itinerary.

Every time I've flown on one, it was because I was going on a business meeting that the CEO of my company was also attending. Our company owned (actually I think they were in a partial ownership program) where we had access to a Gulfstream V and a Canadair Challenger.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also not limited to "jets" although i personally think i will stick to twin engine
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
bump to move to new forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.