Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

Flying Private Jets (for Cheap) - Anyone Tried It?

Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: United (Silver), Marriott (Silver), Starwood

Has anyone flown on a private jet (for cheap)? If so, how did you find the flight, did you book the entire plane or just a seat on the flight, and how was your experience? Ran across an article in the Huffington Post yesterday detailing companies who offer discounted private jet flights by connecting customers with empty leg segments and/or unfilled seats on said flights: JetSuite, Surf Air, Victor, Arrow, Jumpseat/FLITE Air Taxi (website and phone number don't seem to work), and PrivateFly. Business models vary from chartering last-minute empty legs to Airbnb-like arrangements of filling available seats on already chartered flights to memberships. The concept sounds cool and fun to try, as perks include quick and easy onboarding, free wifi, pets allowed, gourmet food and bevs.

Many of the companies focus on renting entire jets or membership plans. I'm hoping y'all will have recommendations on how to book one or two seats as I'm not in the chartering an entire plane category (or paying thousands annually for a membership club) yet.

The article that spurred my interest:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5717881

Two other related articles:

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-d...ne-ticket.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how...son-2014-07-01

*Apologies if I've started this thread in the wrong forum - please move if so.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
But no miles.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by thestarrynight
Has anyone flown on a private jet (for cheap)? If so, how did you find the flight, did you book the entire plane or just a seat on the flight, and how was your experience? Ran across an article in the Huffington Post yesterday detailing companies who offer discounted private jet flights by connecting customers with empty leg segments and/or unfilled seats on said flights: JetSuite, Surf Air, Victor, Arrow, Jumpseat/FLITE Air Taxi (website and phone number don't seem to work), and PrivateFly. Business models vary from chartering last-minute empty legs to Airbnb-like arrangements of filling available seats on already chartered flights to memberships. The concept sounds cool and fun to try, as perks include quick and easy onboarding, free wifi, pets allowed, gourmet food and bevs.

Many of the companies focus on renting entire jets or membership plans. I'm hoping y'all will have recommendations on how to book one or two seats as I'm not in the chartering an entire plane category (or paying thousands annually for a membership club) yet.

The article that spurred my interest:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5717881

Two other related articles:

http://www.details.com/blogs/daily-d...ne-ticket.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how...son-2014-07-01

*Apologies if I've started this thread in the wrong forum - please move if so.
I imagine you would book it by...contacting one of those companies and making a booking with them.

Note that the really cheap deals are typically last-minute affairs.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I would love to try flying private jets for cheap!!!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United (Silver), Marriott (Silver), Starwood
I'm most keen on advice on the "best" website to book 1-2 seats on an existing charter. The companies listed in the articles mostly require membership fees or booking an entire plane. Jumpseat was described as the Airbnb of private jet travel, where you can book an available seat on a private jet flight, but I wasn't able to find current deals on its website, and the phone number on the site doesn't work.

No miles, true, but it sounds like a quicker, smoother, nicer travel experience that I'd like to try.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
They seem to be really walking a fine line between part 135 ops and part 121.
It kinda smells like they're holding themselves out as common carriers.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA, QFF, AA, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Circle.
Are there any charter companies offering up casual seats without the need for membership fees? Just wondering....
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
you may get lucky and catch a deal to fly on their repositioning flights...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
but articles in UK press warned that if you do take an unused return you are at risk of not flying if originator changes their plans.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I've read a few post open segments on their Facebook and/or twitter pages so you may want to try those sites if applicable to the airlines in your area - I'd also call the local airport that they fly from and maybe someone has contact info
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i do not know if you are talking about the same thing, but wife and i flew chartered flights for about 50% of regular fee from iAd to europe or carriabean. the tickets were advertised in ny times. i thought they were called"chartered flights". we flew about 4-6 rt a year for about 10 years. no points or miles. Y seating only.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
https://www.jetsuite.com/suitedeal is the link to the actual deal page for Jet suite. Most are not worth writing home about.(SFO-OAK for $536? No thanks, I'll take BART). some are good. Most of the part 135 ops rarely sell their empty legs at any meaningful discount. I'll see if I can find the article explaining this.

ETA: Here it is, the last paragraph is the key.

http://www.bjtonline.com/business-je...airline-prices

Last edited by aroundtheworld76; Aug 28, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good thread, different from past threads

i had a list of some of these operators, unfortunately on a dead computer
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

What a great opportunity...for ISIS. No security screening, no FAM. NO thanks, I am not ride-sharing an airplane.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
What a great opportunity...for ISIS. No security screening, no FAM. NO thanks, I am not ride-sharing an airplane.
Interesting point. How does security on these flights work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.