Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Other Air Travel including Private & Non-Airline Aviation
Reload this Page >

Flying Private Jets (for Cheap) - Anyone Tried It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
What a great opportunity...for ISIS. No security screening, no FAM. NO thanks, I am not ride-sharing an airplane.
Be afraid, be very afraid...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I have flown JetSuite quite a few times, but each time booked the entire plane, not just a seat.

I have taken advantage of many of the last minute "suite deals", such as SJC-LAS or SJC-SNA, for $499 - $599.

I have also done a standard charter with them on a Scottsdale - Oakland for around $2500.

I very much enjoyed it and recommend them.

I believe on their Suite Deals they do now allow you to book just a seat, but the planes are not that big and it's not a premium experience to be sharing such close quarters with strangers, at least to me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by 747FC
What a great opportunity...for ISIS. No security screening, no FAM. NO thanks, I am not ride-sharing an airplane.
In fact the business aviation world has security procedures and standards.

But if you really believe that the only safe way to fly is with TSA's security theater in place, you may wish to become familiar with information such as TSA's own analysis admitting that terrorists are not planning attacks against civil aviation and there have been no attempted hijackings since 9/11. Or the fact that TSA has never foiled a terrorist attack attempt at a security checkpoint (or anywhere else).

The likelihood of a terrorist group targeting a corporate jet has not been shown to be an emminent or likely threat. And even if it were, it would be much simpler (and certainly within a well organized group's financial means) for a terrorist group to merely rent the entire aircraft in full and preclude any chance of interference from another random passenger.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

My assumption is that you -

1. Just want to fly on any private jet - doesn't matter if it is a Gulfstream or a Citation etc

2. Don't care where the plane is going - you aren't trying to get from A to B - the point is just to fly on a private jet wherever it is going
3. You want the cheapest flight you can find

if those assumptions are correct then - as noted above - you want a repositioning flight. Charter companies fly you wherever you want to go. If you want to go from A to B they have to first fly to A. If they can't find another charter to A they will sell that flight (from wherever the plane is to A) at a discount.

When they get to B they would love a charter from B to C. But if the next charter is from C to D then they will sell the leg from B to C at a discount.

Some things to think about -

You have to get to where the charter starts and get home from where the charter ends. Easier said than done in some parts of the country .

Your charter can be cancelled if the "real" charter cancels - not often a problem - but if you bought commercial tickets you could get stuck.

These flights are always last minute.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Be afraid, be very afraid...
Yes, be very afraid, those small private jets can do tons of damage!!!

Terrorists want to inflict maximum damage, that isn't going to happen with a small plane.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:48 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
But no miles.
There was this (in)famous Lufthansa Private Jet promotion a few years ago where you could earn (a lot of) miles.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Trying to book the cheapest private jet flight possible? That sounds like a great idea.

You won't find me flying on any low end Part 135 operators. There is a really scummy, corner-cutting, bottom-feeding segment of the charter market.

Professionally flown Part 91 corporate jets are statistically just as safe as airlines. Top-tier charter and fractional operators run great operations. Anything else and you are really rolling the dice.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Herb687
You won't find me flying on any low end Part 135 operators. There is a really scummy, corner-cutting, bottom-feeding segment of the charter market.

Professionally flown Part 91 corporate jets are statistically just as safe as airlines. Top-tier charter and fractional operators run great operations. Anything else and you are really rolling the dice.
+1

One gets what one pays for. "Cheap" means corner-cutting in personnel, equiptment, and processes.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by airmotive
They seem to be really walking a fine line between part 135 ops and part 121.
It kinda smells like they're holding themselves out as common carriers.
Agreed, this was my first thought also. I'm sure the FAA will be ruling on this pretty soon. Also not sure that many 135 customers will be interested in sharing their "unique" experience with the Hoi polloi.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by airmotive
They seem to be really walking a fine line between part 135 ops and part 121.
It kinda smells like they're holding themselves out as common carriers.
Originally Posted by timfountain
Agreed, this was my first thought also. I'm sure the FAA will be ruling on this pretty soon.
I'm not a Regs geek but I think you guys may be making too much out of a distinction that's not that relevant. Part 135 operators are air carriers. In fact, there are even scheduled airlines that operate under Part 135 and not Part 121 (think some of the Cessna Caravan airlines: single-engine, single-pilot IFR common carriage under Part 135).

Again, not a Regs geek, but I think the difference between whether ops must be conducted under 121 or 135 (or 125!) has more to do with the type (passenger seating capacity) of equipment. Part 135 operators are certainly certificated air carriers and may engage in common carriage under some conditions.

It's not the 135 vs. 121 distinction that would stop me from hopping on the cheapest charter on the junkiest high-time Learjet I could find!

Also not sure that many 135 customers will be interested in sharing their "unique" experience with the Hoi polloi.
Agree completely. There have been various attempts to do "charter by the seat" flights over the years. I'm not aware of any charter by the seat business venture that was a long-term success.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
It has everything to do with how you present your seat availability. That's why many of the other attempts to sell seats on private jets involved memberships.
If you present seats for sale on your aircraft to anyone, you are, by definition, a 'common carrier'. Anyone can buy a ticket. The only question is, are you a 'scheduled' or 'unscheduled' airline.
While many corporate flight departments operate to Part 121 regs as a matter of their internal safety management system, most do not. It's VERY expensive.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
bump to move to new forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.