tipping private jet pilot?

Old Jun 22, 12, 10:53 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
A tip is not expected.

If you want to tip don't tip small amounts on every flight. Provide a larger tip on a special occasion or at the end of a contract.
Old Jun 24, 12, 12:29 am
Original Poster

What is considered a larger tip? 200? 500? I am trying to determine the best bet.

We were flying from Westhampton to Teterboro yesterday and the pilot did a great job getting us out of a pickle with the storms. I was scared for my life, but we were stil able to land the plane and I was safe.
Old Jun 24, 12, 1:08 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Hell, go big or go home. $10K minimum!
Old Jun 24, 12, 11:00 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
What is considered a larger tip? 200? 500? I am trying to determine the best bet.
I wouldn't give less than $20, if you're going to give a tip. Wouldn't go over $100.
Old Jun 27, 12, 1:05 pm

To keep this from getting too serious, here is a classic hilarious thread from the Fodor's board about tipping the pilot http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-the-pilot.cfm
Old Jun 27, 12, 1:50 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Way OT, I know, but when I was still working in the public sector I had a patient who was a LOLA (little old lady that lives alone) who had to go to the hospital on Christmas day. She INSISTED, flat out would not take no for an answer, on giving me a tip. Not a Chrismas gift, a tip in her words. What she gave me was a bottle of low alcohol beer that "her husband had before he passed away a few years ago". As soon as we got back to the station I reported it to my boss and put it in my locker (CYA exdercise, as it's not a good look to have a bottle of grog rolling around in an ambulance). After all these years I still have that beer in my house somewhere....
Old Jun 28, 12, 7:52 am

Programs: Many
of course not
Old Jun 28, 12, 9:24 am

I bet you can tell I am having a lousy day D How about a few airline miles or an upgrade voucher??? Sorry I just couldn't resist that little jab......
Old Jun 28, 12, 9:25 am

I bet you can tell I am having a lousy day How about a few airline miles or an upgrade voucher??? Sorry I just couldn't resist that little jab......
Old Jun 28, 12, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84 View Post
I wouldn't tip. He's a professional. Maybe you can do the once a year holiday appreciation bit.
If they guy owns the plane, then no, don't tip.

My rule of thumb is never to tip the owner of the company, salon, etc. Only the employees.

That said, I'm not even sure it matters if he owns the plane. I probably wouldn't tip given that you're covering all of the other expenses.
Old Jun 28, 12, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Thanks, I haven't tipped him and didn't know if he was expecting a tip or not. I have mainly used this aircraft for small trips (45 minutes approximately). Most of the time, the pilot leaves the plane there and rents a car so he can drive home. Othertimes, he spends the night which I will cover.

He is a really nice guy but maybe a Christmas gift is more appropriate.
Once or twice a year, I fly with some friends on their GA jet. Same pilots for more than a decade. Always take them some munchies (they like chocolate covered popcorn) and had crabcakes delivered to the plane during a Baltimore run.

Karma sometimes pays off. Flew commercially to Chicago for a weekend and met up with our friends on Sunday. Was going to fly home on DL, arriving about 1230am, with a really tight connection. One of the pilots told me that he was going to have two empty seats on the return that day. My wife and I ended up on the plane and were back in JAX at 645pm.
Old Apr 3, 13, 5:23 am

Definitely do tip your charter pilots. Here is why:

Unlike the airlines, they are the ones that do almost everything for you: from ensuring your favorite papers and magazines are onboard, to ensuring your favorite candy is there, to loading your luggage and making it work when you bring in too much, to calling ahead and arranging for your transportation/limo/car, to giving you the best possible flight for you, to calling ahead for your already arranged transport to be waiting for you planeside when you arrive, to cleaning up the plane after you and your guests, to unloading your luggage only to watch you slip a tip to the FBO guy who has brought out he car and put your bag in back of it after your pilot unloaded it.

An appropriate tip is anywhere from $100 to $1000+.

Is it expected? No. It's a token of appreciation that is greatly appreciated by the pilots and cabin crew. What is insulting is after doing all the work, your crew watching you tip the line person from the FBO greeting you who only pulled up your car and put your bag in the back and you not so much as acknowledge what these pilots did for you.

Rest assured that if you are a known tipper, charter people will bend over backwards for you, always strive to exceed your expectations in hopes you will request them by name.
Old Apr 3, 13, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, Avis Chairman, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Westhampton to TEB on a jet seems to make no sense anyway - why not take a helicopter or seaplane right into the city - it's probably twice as fast and less than half the cost.
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:28 am

NO! Tipping in this country has gotten out of hand.

Originally Posted by Freight Dog View Post
Definitely do tip your charter pilots. Here is why:

Unlike the airlines, they are the ones that do almost everything for you: from ensuring your favorite papers and magazines are onboard, to ensuring your favorite candy is there, to loading your luggage and making it work when you bring in too much, to calling ahead and arranging for your transportation/limo/car, to giving you the best possible flight for you, to calling ahead for your already arranged transport to be waiting for you planeside when you arrive, to cleaning up the plane after you and your guests, to unloading your luggage only to watch you slip a tip to the FBO guy who has brought out he car and put your bag in back of it after your pilot unloaded it.

An appropriate tip is anywhere from $100 to $1000+.

Is it expected? No. It's a token of appreciation that is greatly appreciated by the pilots and cabin crew. What is insulting is after doing all the work, your crew watching you tip the line person from the FBO greeting you who only pulled up your car and put your bag in the back and you not so much as acknowledge what these pilots did for you.

Rest assured that if you are a known tipper, charter people will bend over backwards for you, always strive to exceed your expectations in hopes you will request them by name.
And they are getting paid to do this.

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 6, 13 at 11:36 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:43 am

A tip is definitely appreciated in the corporate world but not really required. Aside from flying the airplane, corporate pilots are also responsible for putting your bags in the belly of the jet as well as fetching them once you land (in all weather conditions). In addition, many small private jets do not have flight attendants so the first officer may pick up those duties on occasion. I have a few close friends who fly corporate jets and they receive tips all the time. Most are paid an annual salary and not by the flight hour like airline pilots. They are not filthy rich like some may believe, they work very hard and have extremely erratic work hours. In a sense it is a service industry style flying job. Like I said, tipping is not required and they aren't expecting it and will likely not accept it. If you feel you want to tip, then by all means, go for it.

Search this Thread