Uber in Orlando

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm thinking I should be investing in Mears.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
Shorting most likely. They will fall off at some point.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I don't believe Mears is a public company, therefore not an investment or shorting opportunity.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by udontknowme
I don't believe Mears is a public company, therefore not an investment or shorting opportunity.
LOL I'm aware, it was more theoretical
Old May 31, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Let's hope. They've lasted much longer than they should.
Old May 31, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by udontknowme
I don't believe Mears is a public company, therefore not an investment or shorting opportunity
Privately-held companies can more easily make the big money contributions to politicans needed to maintain their monopolies, than if they are publically held.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diamondvh
Now, when you want to call an UberX, you need to drop your pin (toggle the map inside Uber's app to position the pin at the center of the screen) anywhere OUTSIDE the airport. Smart Uber drivers do camp near the airport even though they know the airport is restricted. My recommendation is to drop your pin it just north of the center airport border near Highway 528 and Semoran Blvd. Once you see your Uber driver, CONTACT THEM IMMEDIATELY to tell them where you are. Sometimes, their English isn't perfect, so be clear in telling them:
1) You called an UberX, but you dropped a pin in the wrong place and need to be picked up at the airport.
2) Which Terminal you are at, A or B.
3) Whether you are at Arrivals / Baggage Claim (Level 2) or Departures (Level 3).
4) Which Door # you are standing under.

Most drivers will "get the picture" immediately. Just tell them something like: "Hi, I called for an Uber. I dropped a pin just outside the airport, but I'm at the airport now. I'm in Terminal B at the Arrivals / Baggage Claim area. Please come pick me up at Door 23."
Have other folks had success with this method? I once did something similar at PHL (before they changed the rules) and the Uber driver rolled with it.

I have an upcoming visit with the kids to Universal Orlando where I really don't need a car. We plan to stay at the Hyatt Place within walking distance, and probably won't go anywhere other than Universal. Cars aren't expensive or that much hassle at MCO, but I really don't need one. But if I had to pay for a monopoly taxi, I'd probably save money with a car rental.

For my way BACK to the airport, no problem, right? It's completely legal for UberX to do that ride?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:57 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Have other folks had success with this method?
I can't say that I've tried it. I usually fly in late the night before I'm getting there and get a local airport hotel for the night (one with a free shuttle). Then get an Uber ride the next morning from the hotel.

I would think you could probably hop a ride on most any of the local hotel free shuttles and then call Uber from the local hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:05 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I can't say that I've tried it. I usually fly in late the night before I'm getting there and get a local airport hotel for the night (one with a free shuttle). Then get an Uber ride the next morning from the hotel.

I would think you could probably hop a ride on most any of the local hotel free shuttles and then call Uber from the local hotel.
I've taken a taxi to the Wawa gas station just down the street from the airport, and have called an Uber from there.

Although, depending on where within Orlando you're going, and what rates you qualify for it might be cheaper to rent a car and drop it off at a rental car location closer to there. If I can get a car for $30, I'll pick it up, and drop it off the next day at the Disney Car Care Center.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mkt
Although, depending on where within Orlando you're going, and what rates you qualify for it might be cheaper to rent a car and drop it off at a rental car location closer to there.
I have done that as well when heading over to Universal. Orlando car rental rates can be very cheap. The Doubletree right across the street from Universal has an Avis City station. So I rent a car at the airport, spend the day driving around and doing whatever I might want to do off the Universal campus. Then head to the Doubletree and drop the car off, stay the night there and then Uber to one of the on-site hotels (usually the Royal Pacific which gets me the unlimited Express Pass. ^)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have done that as well when heading over to Universal. Orlando car rental rates can be very cheap. The Doubletree right across the street from Universal has an Avis City station. So I rent a car at the airport, spend the day driving around and doing whatever I might want to do off the Universal campus. Then head to the Doubletree and drop the car off, stay the night there and then Uber to one of the on-site hotels (usually the Royal Pacific which gets me the unlimited Express Pass. ^)
That's an interesting twist on the strategy. I'll have to look into it. Honestly, though, not dealing with a rental car would probably be the easiest when I really only need the car for a "there and back" between the airport and Universal.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Need to check the hours of the Avis at Doubletree though. On the weekend they close very early like 1pm. I went with Hertz at Hard Rock instead for the weekend. And I do stay at the Hard Rock for the Express Pass. It is more expansive than Avis but I figure I saved 1 night of parking fee.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Need
It is more expansive than Avis but I figure I saved 1 night of parking fee.
Can't argue there. I normally will drive around to find a good place to eat and possibly buy a few breakfast/snack items as they will be much less pricey at a local grocery store than they will be on-site at Universal. Once I'm finished for the night, I just return the car (even if the office is closed you can still return the car and not have to pay the parking fee.) But I do have to pay a small Uber charge the next morning to get over to the Royal Pacific.

My main reasoning is that I probably wouldn't hit any of the parks late my arrival night, so why pay the extra charge for the onsite hotel. I can get up early the next morning and be over at the Royal Pacific, checked in and get my Express Passes before either park opens (which are usable your arrival and check-out days) . Yeah, I'll have to leave my luggage with the Concierge as the room won't be ready, but we can head on over to the park and get a full day there. The hotel will text you the room number when it is ready. After that we can head back to the hotel whenever we want, get our bags and head on up to the room (no need to check in again at the front desk.)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did look at a one-way, one-day rental from the airport to any return location near Universal and, for my date, the price was prohibitive (like more than $80). I was actually surprised that it was that high.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I did look at a one-way, one-day rental from the airport to any return location near Universal and, for my date, the price was prohibitive (like more than $80). I was actually surprised that it was that high.
It was $120 (Avis) to $135 (Hertz) one day one way rental from FLL to Universal Doubletree or Hard Rock when I booked mine. But if it is $80 from MCO to Universal.. I would just take a Taxi! I think the last time I did that it was around $70 and I don't have to drive or fill up the gas for return!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.